PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A ferrety new addition! [PIC HEAVY]

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Moonfall

A ferrety new addition! [PIC HEAVY]

Postby Moonfall » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I adopted a ferret from a lady off craigslist yesterday, she could no longer care for him. He is 14 months old and I have named him Bode.

Yes, he is already spoiled. Haha.
the_unstable

Re: A ferrety new addition! [PIC HEAVY]

Postby the_unstable » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Ahh congratulations!!! He is adorable! I love the second picture of him - his facial expression is so cute. I'm looking forward to hearing more about him :)
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you! <3

He is an absolute ham and SO spoiled. I love how he smells, too- his poop has no smell, but he smells musky and I like it a lot. It's a very comforting smell, not at all unpleasant. He's very cuddly for a ferret (sleeping under my elbow right now!) and loves that green ball. I want to get him more toys, any ideas?

He's figured out that yawning and sticking his tongue out will get people to melt and dote on him, so any time we meet someone new he yawns and sticks his tongue out.
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 pm

*Dies* what a cutie!
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 pm

I like the ferret smell, too. For me, a skunk's smell is definitely what I'd describe to be comforting.

For toys, mine love things that crinkle or make similar noises. They're always leaping on my trash bags like trampolines. When I bring in a bucket to wipe out their cage, they always try to take rags from the water and drag them away. They like random things...

You could get a pack of those plastic balls with gaps in them and a bell inside - generally made for cats I think. I have some for mine, though they don't seem to play with them at all. They seem to like tennis balls like yours does.

Fleece is great bedding. If you like to sew (and have a sewing machine), you can get some fleece and make him a hammock or some little beds. I've heard that covering the entire flooring of their cage helps keep them from pooping outside of the litter box since they don't want to poop in their bedding/where they sleep. I haven't tried it yet myself. I use newspapers to help make for easy cleanup.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 am

I put fleece on the main cage floor and he hasn't had any accidents in the cage (outside of it he has). One of the great things about fleece is that you don't have to finish the edges to make hammocks- I do it all the time for the rats! I often go to the dollar store for 1$ fleece baby blankets to chop up for hammocks, and have one on the cage floor now for Bode. It's great because they are SO cheap.

Thank you Amyers! I sure think so.
Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 am

How adorable! i'm so glad you picked up a ferret for yourself, and also congratulations on loving the smell! You officially will never hate having a ferret. Some people dislike that musky smell, but if you find it comforting you were pretty much made for ferrets.

As for toys each ferret tends to be a little random. Kai loves to chase brooms, but regular toys he likes things he can chew on or things that squeak. I would say try out a couple different toys to see what he leans toward, but since he likes the tennis ball look into the cat sized or toy sized tennis balls since those are perfect for him to scoot around with. Also try and pick up some tubes~ they looove tubes and will run around in them happily as much as possible.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am

He's adorable, you both lucked out. Maybe a golf ball?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Okay, that is officially the cutest ferret I have ever seen. Those first 2 pictures of him are just too adorable! He looks so snuggly! :mrgreen:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I seriously just sit there and smell him, it's sort of ridiculous. He doesn't mind though.

The ball I got him is meant for tiny dogs, like yorkies, so it is the perfect size for him. Haha.

Ash, he is VERY snuggly. And he seems to know just how to make himself look extra cute haha.

Thank you all for the compliments! I love having him here. Wish he'd leave my door alone (unfinished carpet edge on the other side, he's making a mess) but otherwise he's great.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm

If I understand the carpet issue properly, maybe get a carpet runner, sheet of plexiglass, something hard and plastic or maybe a mat...something like that and put it under the door so it's half in your room and half in the other room.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 pm

My dad is going to fix it this weekend, I think. :3 I also bought Bode some new toys, so maybe he'll be more interested in toys than in making a mess.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 am

Hah don't be surprised if he still wants to dig at the door. It seems like some sort of obsessive compulsive thing that they do sometimes. My newest that I got from Craig's List is a door digger. Another, my first, Miguel, will scratch the floor if I'm sitting down on my knees with my legs apart a bit. If I put my feet apart so he can go under me, he'll stop. It's really weird but funny.

I have a plastic tub thing with shredded paper in it. They like to play in that together.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

Congrats. He looks some content and happy and also....adorable <3.

I haven't owned a ferret before,but I want to when my living conditions and financial situation are better. However, I did pet some for like 20 minutes at a ferret rescue along with my family and I think I must be immune to the smell as well. My family kept saying how they wanted to go wash their hands to get off the ferret smell,but I was totally clueless, like "What smell?" :lol:

Also, trust me, I do know when things stink. Now,the maned wolves at the Houston Zoo, those guys stink. They are adorable,but they let off a very pungent almost rotten garbage-like smelling odor. The sign said it was their defense mechanism and described it as a skunk-like smell. I have no experience with skunks so I have no idea if skunks smell that bad. Regardless, I did feel kind of bad for the little(or not so little since they're kind of on the large canid side) guys being so frightened by whatever they were frightened by and it wasn't me because I smelled the odor like 3 enclosures before I got to them,but then I knew it was from them becasue that's where the odor was strongest and plus I saw the sign about the odor. Maybe they had just been through a vet exam or something. I don't know.
Anyway, my point was that the ferrets didn't smell anything like that. They just kind of had an outdoorsy smell to me,nothing unpleasant.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Awww what a sweet looking baby :)
Was Cierpke, lost password xD

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”