PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ferrets, Fennecs

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Ferrets, Fennecs

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Having done research on fennecs and now beginning it on ferrets, and having noticed their similarities at least in a general scope in care, personality, behavior, medical requirements and suggestions, etc, I would very much like opinions on how they would interact together (please note that I'm not suggesting in anyway that they be kept in a same cage). It's just a tentative inquiry for possible future reference. I've taken into account their behavioral problems, such as biting or aggressiveness, whether in general or over food. Anyways thank you one and all in advance and I hope it doesn't come off as ignorant or naive or that I think all animals should get along or that I have it set that it will for sure work!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
the_unstable

Re: Ferrets, Fennecs

Postby the_unstable » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 pm

I've never met a fennec, but if they have food aggression issues, I can imagine a silly ferret charging right up to check out food and the fennec biting the ferret in response. Size wise, aren't they pretty different? Personally, I wouldn't put let the two be together because I don't think it would be safe, but then again, I've never had a fennec so I don't know what they're like.
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 pm

Hmm, size might play a big part of it, so I think I'm gonna agree with you for sure on that and on the food issues. I have seen success stories of fennecs bonding with dogs larger much larger than themselves, but that was a well trained dog (would have to be). So I'm thinking so far my conclusion is it would not be a good idea because of the fox personality in that they are not so accepting (I could be wrong though...) anyways just some random musings that I just wanted to voice and see what others thought! Thanks for the two cents =^.^=
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:14 pm

I wouldn't put them together either. Two completely different animals. My two ferrets when they were younger would fight over food and hiss at each other so separation at dinner time was essential but as they got older the more they tolerated hand being put on bowl and one another being near each others food bowls and now they are completely fine. I would imagine a ferret and fennec would fight too over food. Ferrets by nature are food aggressive when young.

Ferrets are predators and so are fennecs but that doesn't mean they will get along and live together in harmony. Always be careful when putting any different animal together and take precautions.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Yup! It was just only musings and a hypothesis (I honestly don't remember posting this and am kinda laughing at the thought that I ever did :lol:).
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Talys wrote:Yup! It was just only musings and a hypothesis (I honestly don't remember posting this and am kinda laughing at the thought that I ever did :lol:).

I do that all the time. Get impulsions and then forget about it haha :D
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:37 pm

It can work for them to play together but not safe to live in the same cage or be unsupervised as you first said. They are very similar in size. But similar to fennecs and cats it can work sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I think it was Dinka's fennec, but maybe it was Lg's I get confused, she grew up with the cats then one day decided she didn't like them any more and chases them off the floor every time she sees one on it. She ignores them if not on the floor though.

Fennec(not full grown) and ferrets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BIByCrx1e0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJgTVq1yYk

Ferrets are slower but fennecs are more fragile. They are fairly evenly matched when both are full grown but again I'd not leave them alone.

Full grown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr5xW-T9pfo
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

I see what you mean about the ferrets agility! The videos were really interesting to watch interaction-wise so thanks! In the first video, at the end, the fennec got tired of the playing, lol. I doubt I will ever have both together as pets, probably not even just one or the other, but maybe!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Well yes ferrets are very agile but what I really was saying was that fennecs are more fragile than ferrets who are build more ruggedly, meaning in a real fight the fennec would probably come out the worse except that the fennec is faster so can easily get away, at least prior to the ferret latching on in a "death" grip like in the last video, though a play "death" grip.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 pm

My fennec was good with the cats, then she changed her mind. Always loved the one cat though, but would bite the others. Now she totally ignores them. She has gotten a little mellow in her older age. I think she is only like 7-8 years old, but she acts very old and senile anymore. Now when out and about she doesnt even make eye contact with the cat she always loved.
She has aways hated ferrets with a passion though. I used to take her into pet stores and man would she gecker at them.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 am

Whenever anyone mentions ferrets I remember trying to bathe my sisters and one bit onto my wrist and would not let go. These were soppy tame ferrets normally and it gave no sign it was going to attack me, it just did.

I personally would never let my fennecs play with my sisters ferrets as if either of them got the wrong end of the stick and thought the other was actually attacking them either of them could end up with really bad injuries if not dead.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 am

Ferrets kill rabbits so there is no doubt it could kill a fennec.

I have 2. One is soppy tame while the other still bites and holds on. Both been brought up the same way. All animals have different personalities.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Those videos are adorable. I knew fennecs were small,but I didn't realize they were that small that they are about the same size as a ferret.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”