Ferrets

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ferrets

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 pm

My main concern about getting one soon is the rabbit. I have him in an x-pen attached to the anteater cage, which no anteaters use other than the roof. The wire is 1.5"x4.5" Can they slip through the holes and or climb that? I haven't looked into them too much yet really.
Lasergrl

Re: Ferrets

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm

A small female or a baby can squeeze through. They all can climb it if they want. A big fat male ferret is unlikely to want to kill a rabbit if raised with it, females can be a little more primal. Still though you never know.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks probably not worth the risk then. I could probably secure just his cage but it wouldn't be practical to do so for the larger anteater cage and he loves having access to it, he thinks it's his. So I'll stick to my original plan of waiting till after he's gone.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 am

Perhaps irresponsible, but my rabbit and ferrets live in the same room. The ferrets are in a Midwest Critter Nation double unit (1/2" bar spacing) and the rabbit is in some cheap Super Pet cage with 1" bar spacing. All of the ferrets are males. The rabbit is a Flemish Giant. They would like to eat him I think. When they free range, the rabbit (Elwynn) goes in his cage and they will sometimes show some interest. They cannot get in the cage, but they could certainly bite him through it if he is close to the bars.

The standard bar spacing for ferret cages is 1" - even the Midwest Ferret Nation cage has that bar spacing. They should not be able to escape from that, and if they can, then there are many idiot manufacturers out there making ferret cages.

Most ferrets don't do much climbing. When I first got my third ferret that I have from a woman on Craig's List who fed him carrots and kept him in a bird cage, he was accustomed to climbing and would scale the cages. He doesn't do that anymore, but I know he is capable.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 am

I did search and saw varying answers on the climbing. But it just seems better to wait.
Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:49 pm

I would suggest waiting as well, while Kai has no interest in anything as food, he is sort of the odd man out. I'd look at it as better safe than sorry.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”