Random Enrichment ideas

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Re: Random Enrichment ideas

Postby minervasden » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Edible enrichment quickies

Dye pasta by adding food coloring to the water

Use a frosting bag/tube to place drops of yogurt on and cookie sheet and place in freezer. Then put the frozen treats in a freezer container. Healthier than yogurt drop treats and easier and less mess than spooning out nonfrozen. Can get fancy with decorative tips if desired.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Upgrade a stuffed animal
I found this large, mostly flat ray at the charity shop today. I'm going to have cellophane put in the 'wings', add a bell and a tassel to the tail tip, and add some sort of ribbon fringe down the tail. This is going to be a play mat for my cats so I'll add some catnip into the main body. Oh, and I will remove the hanging loop.
It is an inexpensive project too. The ray was $.50 and all other supplies I have on hand.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Nice idea on fixing up the toy. I like when I find stuffies with a velcro pouch can put a squeaker in with no mod or if you have a pet not inclined to eat toys could maybe put treats in there for it to figure out how to get in.

Zoo fennec enrichment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf56zrmlkQ0
I like the fist idea. They cut a hole in a large metal float, but you could use other things then put crickets inside so they have to jump in to get the crickets. Would also help contain the crickets for in home enrichment, but the second idea would be a big mess.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 pm

June 13, 2015 ·
Those balls with a hole in top were ice forms? I thought they were treat balls. I guess that's why I found nothing when I poked holes in the bottom of half of them.

Ya know I just tossed them after but I should have gone ahead and used them for that after she ruined them for freezing water.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:48 pm

How to drill holes in spoons http://www.ehow.com/how_8174341_drill-hole-flatware.html
Use spoons as parts for making bird, primate and other toys
Coat spoon with a yummy lick-able treat and hang for foraging

Put on a show with a liquid light projector

Rear pockets of jeans or other sturdy pockets- both plain and with different snaps and closures
Mount several on a board- foraging board variant
Make a small quilt of pockets. Hang on cage or wall, from a branch or for a house pet drape it over a couch or chair
Put a single pocket on a throw pillow or stuffed animal add a toy or treat and hide in random places
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 pm

The heat in my house comes out of registers in the floor so during the cold weather season I lay a section of crepe paper streamer on the register. The streamers fly around when the furnace kicks on. My cats love this.

If you boil popsicle/craft sticks for about 30 (?) minutes you can bend them. Can do things like link them together for a climbing chain or make single links for attaching things to cage bars, toy parts, etc.

I thought I posted this already but appears I did not. Origami can be used to vary treat presentation or just novel presentation for paper shredders. Plenty of patterns for all skill levels http://www.origami-resource-center.com/origami-boxes.html
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Found one of these squeezy baby food spoons at the charity shop. Helpful for offering baby food, yogurt or similar. Good if there are multiple animals not prone to fighting in an enclosure.

I think these fruit shapes might be drink coasters (I found them with some trivets and kitchen aides.) Would make fun toss toys for pets like rabbits. If you couldn't find safe to chew ones (or just don't want to buy) should be easy to recreate with sisal.

Skip it toy. Have found several of these lately including a never used one. The ring makes it handy to hang as a tether ball for smaller animals. My cats like to chase it when I make it roll around on the floor. Mine is the night time one with flashing lights and has a perfectly smooth round ball not a disc or knobby ball.

Terra cotta strawberry planter. Saw a cracked one of these in a dumpster. Thanks to google understanding my description I now know it is a strawberry planter. My first thought upon seeing it was envisioning a cool chipmunk enclosure. Lots of critters could enjoy these-foraging, exploring, nesting.

Spinner, slider tension rod.
Take a tension rod and load a few random items on-take off the rubber stoppers to do this. The items should spin and slide but not hang down where the animals can easily grab them and pull. Place across a doorway, window or other space. Tension rods come in different sizes so most should be able to find an appropriate size for your pet. I usually put across a doorway so multiple pets can interact with it at the same time.

Of course I break the tension rod trying to set it up for a picture so here is the now nonadjustable rod in a window. I'm also redoing my room so a bunch of my stuff is in boxes and I only found some lame items that fit. Put as many or few items as you want and vary the number and type each time.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 pm

musical instruments
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm

hide treats in old books
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 pm

I love that! That is so clever and funny!
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:07 pm

I have that 'crocogator' toy top picture under musical instruments. Actually had it out for the cats recently but they could not have cared less.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:55 pm

That's too bad. Someone mentioned the other day after I posted this that their raccoon was playing the keyboard they have for it.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:46 am

Was pretty sure I had posted these but can't find them anywhere so I guess not.

Toothpaste. Mainstream fluoride brands can be scent enrichment when placed where they cannot be ingested. There are a lot of flavors available in the natural fluoride free brands. Some of these will be safe if a tasting lick is made. Or just use as you would a fluoride paste.

Put colorful children's alphabet magnets on the bottom portion of your refrigerator. Even pets like cats, dogs, and rabbits can like to rearrange them.

Don't be afraid to offer something because it's not the type of toy you'd associate with the species. I had a cat that liked to get a basketball out and push it around the house. Most people wouldn't offer a domestic cat a basketball. Maybe don't go out and buy your cat a new basketball, but if you have one offer it. It's ok if some items fail. Even just seeing or smelling a new object can be a minor novel enrichment.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 pm

A big list of diy toddler busy boards for inspiration. http://www.shelterness.com/cool-and-easy-diy-busy-boards-for-toddlers/

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”