PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Concealing an outdoor enclosure

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Concealing an outdoor enclosure

Postby the_unstable » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Alex is currently living with Stinky in the sunroom (hooray), but I would like to make some modifications of the outdoor enclosure so that they may live together in harmony in the smaller space. One improvement I would like to make is a proper way to conceal it, or at least to conceal the "contents". I have a neighbor across the road who seems to dislike our family (or at least her boyfriend does). Long story short, I'm paranoid about the mean boyfriend and I would like to cover up sides of the enclosure that are visible from the neighbor's house/public road.

I thought of tarps. They're cheap and easy to fasten, haul, etc unlike boards and other objects that don't fold up like tarps do. However, they seem to get torn up somehow (and I don't think this is Alex's doing) and they look so tacky, especially the bright blue ones. So...ideas?
RabbleFox

Re: Concealing an outdoor enclosure

Postby RabbleFox » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Hmmm... its tough to think of a quick/cheap way of hiding an enclosure. What I was thinking of doing if I were to get around to getting a fox was possibly planting those little pine tree-like shrubs. They are like 30$ each at Costco and stay green year round. They don't get too tall either. Its a more permanent solution than tarps. Winter is coming so it really isn't the best time to plant, though (I think anyway, I'm no tree expert!)

Other than that the only thing I can think of are boards. They wouldn't look cheap if stained or painted a neutral color but covering a large area can get to be expensive!
~RabbleFox
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 am

I used fence boards. I made 4the foot long sections so they can be moved easy.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check into the fence board idea. I thought of planting trees but I figured they'd take ages to grow and get to a useful height. That's also something to look into, and it looks really nice.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm

How about plastic lattice? They sell that at Home Depot and other stores, and you can have it cut to specifications, I believe. And since it's plastic it's not so cumbersome. While it's not completely covering everything, it would be easier to set up and probably less expensive.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I actually had to google that to figure out what it was. That is a brilliant idea. Cheap and easier to haul than wooden material, but sturdier and longer lasting than a tarp. Thank you very much for this idea, that is likely what I will end up using :)
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:51 pm

No problem. We used to have it on the sides of our back porch steps in place of wooden planks for railing. Just came to mind. They make wood ones too, they're pretty light but they'll deteriorate after a while if they're not stained or given some kind of protective coating.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

I used lattace for years, but, I am too paranoid to even have those small holes ;)
Planting trumpet creepers will cover the lattace in one season, but, in the winter the leaves fall off.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I've seen lattice with some kind of strips made of plastic or similar material, woven into the squares to provide extra privacy.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”