PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Condo

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fennec Condo

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:26 am

Previous steps and plans here: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtop ... 10&t=12915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtop ... 88#p123988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fennec condo is starting to come together.

ImageFennec condo coming together by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

The other side of the front is the same but mirror image, the large part also is at the middle, rather than left which would be the outside and doesn't open. The side will have one panel that open near the back. I can fit myself through the hole to reach the back but this way each level, aside from the bottom will have two doors, the bottom side is blocked by my desk so no reason for a second door.

ImageCage clips by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
They hold nice and tight. Couldn't see anything else that would work aside from less sightly spring latches, like on bunny cages. I had some of these in green laying around, or I thought. The ones I ordered aren't as strong so used 3 instead of two but it holds tight. (edit from the future: I later did switch to springs)

ImageFennec Condo test photo by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Taken through one wire cage square opening.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Condo

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:56 am

I love it! The wallpaper looks so cute with the fox on the stump. And I like the little stuffed fennec in there, lol. Probably makes everything seem like it's coming together now that the stuffed ones in there. :mrgreen:

How will it get to the different levels? That's the one thing I've been trying to figure out with your design, but haven't yet, lol.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:26 am

I cut holes for ramps, the shelves are laminated particle wood. I just haven't gotten a photo of them yet. My dad has a cool cutting tool I borrowed that worked great. I need to paint the inside of the holes black since the wood shows. The holes in a ferret nation are 6x10 to be on the safe side I cut 8x10 I felt vindicated in my seemingly overly large holes when I stumbled across a photo where someone measured the distance between their fennec's ears when out to the side and they were 7 inches, lol, plenty of ear room then.

I remember you asking about wheels. I thought about that but attaching them would have been difficult. The shelves have metal posts at the corners about an inch top and bottom. Each is 108 pounds but that's divided between 4 posts. I was able to lift each corner and put a bit of cardboard under and it slid easily even with both together as one. I put it together in the middle of the room and only removed the old cage once I had the shelves ready to replace it, so the anteaters wouldn't be too disturbed.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Ground floor walls done
ImageGround level walls done by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

ImageGround and sky/kitchen levels by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

The half shelf was out so I could work in there but Kitchen half will have a shelf and the other side wont so the wheel can fit.

Looks like I may want to paint the exposed ledge white on the wheel side since it wont have a shelf on it.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:09 pm

That's awesome! You did a really good job on it!
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Thank you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:02 am

Got all the decals for relaxation level, top floor, and in place now. I'm exhausted now from lifting those heavy shelves around. They are hard to get back into place.

ImageFennec condo relaxation level by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
You can see one of the access holes here. Still need to do the ramps though.

I kind of combined two different sets of decals and mangled them around to suit my tastes. Then I added a sort of tree trunk I painted myself as I though the limbs looked weird with a white corner.

I was told this Japanen proverb is something like "Even tiny streams flow into the sea", which is a proverb about the importance of little things so very appropriate for a fennec condo I thought.

Just got the ramps to do and a bit of a fencing.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Done. Still needs clean up and then furnishing it. And the wheel of course.
ImageFennec condo done by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

For size. Was able to squeeze into the other levels to work too but not upright. PS am fairly large being 5'9"
ImageFennec condo done - for sizing by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:29 pm

WOW! I kept having a hard time picturing it, but that is AWESOME. That's one of the best enclosures I've ever seen. You should send the photo to the breeder to show her how big it is!

I'm really wowed by this. If/when I get a fennec, I would love to make it the exact same way you did. It would even be good for a bunch of different species. I can't get over it. Thumbs up, and job well done. :))))
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:23 am

Thank you. I really like how it turned out and I did send the photos to the breeder too. :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:31 am

My neighbor was tossing a rabbit cage so I took the latches to try. I thought they would look tacky but I like them better than the clamps and they work better to. Holds even the big door tight with just one.
ImageSpring latch for fennec cage by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Also The tape was failing with anteater use so I painted some extra tiles black and cut into 1/4s and one covers the crack on each level. Nice and sturdy and down tight with some extra glue.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm

That does look very nice. It will look better with a fennec though. ;P

Lately I've been looking at old cages that are being thrown out or not used. Parts can be salvaged and be reused though. It's been fun doing that.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:06 pm

That's an amazing condo! Looks like you're going to have some happy little fennecs. icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you.

Can't wait to have a fennec for it and see his or her reaction to everything.

The only change I keep debating is adding some half rounds to the ramps. But maybe will wait and see if it has any trouble with them as is.
Image for those who don't know the term.

Oh and some doll house railing to discourage jumping from the half shelf. I'm probably going to do that and should look cute.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 pm

It's come together so beautifully, what excellent work! I love it! How much longer until the baby arrives!?

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”