PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Condo

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Condo

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Thank you. It's up in the air right now. Julie's princess ate her babies but she was expecting her to mate again so we have to wait and see if she has a second litter so if does happen will be later this year, if not next season. BUT someone else contacted me to let me know they have a couple babies they might sell to great homes and she thought I might be one. So if she decided to sell I'll get one from her but waiting to see if she does.

Getting on Julie's list to me was an honor so I was willing to just wait BUT I've had such bad luck getting animals in the past where things kept falling through for all sorts of reasons so I can't pass up the opportunity of the other breeder if she does go through with selling.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Adding carpet.
ImageDSCN2872 by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I got these carpet squares to help keep Hyzzie's feet under her in her last months. They will make perfect floor liners for the fennec cage.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:50 pm

good idea about the using a carpet for a fennec fox. However, I have to wonder if a fennec fox will scratch it to threads after awhile :shrug: \
also, have to wonder if they might pee on it? I don't really know much about fennec foxes, but, from what I heard, they are not too great with litter training. I am sure not impossible though.

However, awhile ago, I seen a picture of someone with fennec foxes, I am pretty sure there were two or more.
they had a small plastic swimming pool with litter in it, I did notice they were going in there to do their business.
so, looks like it is not impossible to litter train, maybe not 100%, but something is better than not at all.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:26 pm

The carpet squares look nice. Usually I picture of a bunch of ugly mismatched carpet samples when I hear carpet squares. I was wondering what your future fennec could have done to deserve that. Maybe take to long to get to you? :icon-wink:
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm

That's why I wasn't going to do any liners at first, non-absorbant surfaces help with training as they'll be more inclined to go in the litter since it's absorbent. But having the carpeting might make is safer. Now that I've realized how common broken limbs are in fennecs I'm a bit paranoid and the floor otherwise is pretty slick.

Plus some owners were talking about fennecs digging in their cages. Some put rubber mats on the bottom to decrease the sound from digging. One person had tried a towel but the towel did get clawed up and the fennec got injured by the strings cutting it's feet. But this carpet is really strong and even when I did cut it nothing unraveled so it should be safe but if it starts to get clawed can remove it. It wont get damaged as quickly as fabric. Hopefully mine wont be digging so much at the cage since will be allowed out most of the time and is much bigger cage than most plus has a built in sand box to dig in and other scratches included for it to dig at.

It will also still be easy for clean up as I can remove any square and hose it off. A fennec that will go in it's cage rather than outside of it is an exceptionally well trained fennec.

Here's one of Hyzzie standing on them
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/26375315126/
I taped them down to the floor which is probably what I'll do in the cage, buy some double sided tape. That will keep him from clawing the edge up.

Anyway it's really short tight carpet like in public always or the like, not like you'd normally put in a living room. So real tough and not easily snagged and such. Heck it was hard for me to cut to fit the cage as I had to go over it several times with the box cutter to get through so it should stand up pretty well to claws. But the main point in adding it is to prevent possible injury so will keep a close eye and if he does become an obsessive digger may need to remove it for the same reason(safety), should he start damaging it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:45 pm

minervasden wrote:The carpet squares look nice. Usually I picture of a bunch of ugly mismatched carpet samples when I hear carpet squares. I was wondering what your future fennec could have done to deserve that. Maybe take to long to get to you? :icon-wink:

Thank you. Ha, yeah they were sold as carpet remnants, so eclectic, but they were pretty good about sending colors that work together.

Edit: if someone actually did want to do this method, besides me, you can buy them all one color but it costs more.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm sure that will make it much easier to walk on for them. Plus, it gives the condo a really nice look. :) Only thin I'd be concerned about is the smell of absorbing urine, but that's already been mentioned. If they do get smelly, you can always try putting them through the wash and just see what would happen. I've saved lots of pillows that way that were deemed "unwashable."
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Yeah they are two by two at most some I had to cut smaller so should work in the wash machine if I had to. Or I may buy a little hand held carpet steamer to clean them in place eventually.

I added the railing finally, it's half home made. I bought a small doll railing then added dowels to top and bottom to make it larger. But I forgot to paint it so it's out painted and drying now and then will be reattached. I also added carpet strips to the ramps for gip. If he or she become destructive I may need to change that but we'll see. Should make using the ramps easy.

Once I have the painted rail back in then the strips on the ramp can be seen since I took this photo before I added them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 pm

ImagePainted fennec safety rail by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

ImagePainted fennec safety rail by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Now there's noting left to do. Unless I try to make a nicer wheel but this one's functional, just not a pretty as I wanted.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 am

I love this so much. Are Fennec into chewing? I hope not, but even repairing will probably be fun. What a beautiful little home! <3
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:42 am

Thank you. Fennecs aren't normally chewers outside of an affinity for rubber. Otherwise the few cases I've heard of where they chewed up random items like their bedding stopped with diet changes. Their teeth are weak so chewing for fun isn't something they do instinctively. Fennecs dig instead. I plan to put a flat cardboard scratcher where it decides to dig, if it does out side of where it should, so it will have something to dig at instead of the floor and hopefully like it better since it can actually tear it up with the digging.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 am

Will you do a sort of 'sandbox' for digging? My neighbors have this old plastic swimming pool their kids have outgrown, it's one of those
green ones, the turtle shape? I snagged that puppy right up off the curb! I bet a Fennec would love an activity like that, I'm sure my kids
will, but I'm not sure what substrate to use, everything sounds like a nightmare mess. :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:35 am

Yes I added a sand box extension onto the condo. It doubles as an end table for me. The sand is heavier than I anticipated so it's not movable. I just used play sand but mixed in a container of chinchilla dust. I should get a photo from father back to see it by the cage but here's the thread for that. Though it is part of the cage now so good to mention here too. It has a hinged top to get into it. viewtopic.php?f=110&t=13081

Aurora has gone in there to dig around a few times. She really did drag a lot of sand back out with her but she's a much larger animal. Hopefully the carpets on that side of the lower level help catch the sand before it spreads everywhere.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:29 am

I remember now! And that's attached to the condo, accessible 24/7? It's fantastic. Do you have any other additions you're considering?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 pm

It's so cute! It's like a little doll house but for a fennec! I love going back and looking at all these pictures and trying to imagine a fennec playing inside. I think you really outdid yourself with the enclosure. It's fantastic.

I'm anxious to see how the wheel will work when you get him/her.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”