PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Condo

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Condo

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Thank you. There's a hole in the back wall so he can get into it from the cage and it doesn't show too well in the photo but there's a rough painting of sand dunes on the back wall. I asked my dad to do it and it looks more like Oregon sand dunes than desert sand dunes but it's still nice, my fault I just asked for sand dunes. I don't have anything else planned except to get some track lighting so I can point some light in there to brighten it up some. Tough I have one silly idea, that if I could find the right piece add a bubble window to the top level, would be cool if I did it and he would chose to lay in there, but who knows if he would.

Thank you. I love taking photos of my critters so doll house is kind of what I had in mind. Wanted a photogenic environment.

In going through the old fennec group info I found that a few fennecs used wheels but they had to be introduced to it when young. Older ones were freaked out by one suddenly being introduced. So the main thing is if I did a good enough job on it. Using my hands in there and "running" it seems to work pretty good.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Image of the sand box and cage set up
ImageFennec sandbox by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 am

Very cool, I love it so far. Thanks for continuing to share your progress!
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 pm

It's just amazing.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Thank you. I think the only thing left to do is put a fennec in there.

Though I don't think the hammock made it into the thread. It's made from a classic Hawaiian shirt I got from my father but was wearing out. I used stick on hooks that claimed they'd hold at least 15 pounds and tested it with heavy rocks.
ImageFennec hammock by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
And added some epoxy bumps to the ends so the clips wont slide off the hooks.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Yep, definitely needs a fennec. ;) You're probably just dying for your fennec to be born.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:33 am

Well I wound up getting rid of the wheel. I made it too big and he couldn't move it easy and I tried cutting it down later and he could move it but wasn't interested by then. He's much more into darting and weaving during short sprints than the sustained running some do. I still think it's a great idea for most any medium/small exotic, even other fennecs, just go smaller than I did and they will probably love it with a bit of encouragement. I wish I'd had wheels for the anteaters with the way they loved to run when younger, that would have been great. But it is the sort of thing most critters have to be exposed to when young.

I'm thinking I'll just put a partial level across the back 1/4-1/3 and the ramp down from there and a little box house on it. It would be hard to clean and see the lower level if I added the whole half level back to the second level.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 am

Aw, that's too bad. Sorry it didn't work out for Ikigai.

I would love to see videos of anteaters running on wheels, haha. Sounds cute.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”