PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Size and plants

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

cledwards/hank

Size and plants

Postby cledwards/hank » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 am

Hi, its been a while since Ive posted. I'm still using my phone, so hopefully I don't make too many mistakes. Its really hard to view several posts, so Im going to ask directly. What size to you recommend for a outdoor enclosure for just 1 raccoon? Any suggestions regarding what to put in it, to where they will enjoy it. We have one but she seems to hate it. She paces back and forth constantly and cries. I have tried going in it with her thinking that it would just take time. Ive also tried getting her adapted slowly but nothing works. Its a pretty decent size with tree limbs, hammocks, water and food bowls, house for her to go in, toys, etc. Our cats seem to enjoy it more then she does...lol One of cats even goes in there with her. Nothing seems to help. I thought about putting plants to make it more like out in the wild but feel like she would destroy them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, she is inside the majority of the day.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Size and plants

Postby pat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:42 pm

nice to see you post again. I just updated this board. you should be able to view it much easier on small devices.
I personally prefer a big screen, but, many people seem to like their phones :shrug:

There is a lot of ideas in the raccoon forum for enrichment and what to make your raccoon happy.

give us updates on your baby when you can..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Size and plants

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Some people have trouble getting their raccoon to want to be in the enclosure without them. You could try giving her special treats only out there. Put treats in enrichment items like bottles and hide some around so she can enjoy her time out there and you can keep it short at first also stay with in the pen at first. you're her mama be in there with her to show her it's good. Also you might try covering the enclosure at first as the open might be overwhelming then over time once she is using it you can remove a bit of cover at time. She's used to being enclosed in a house suddenly being in the open is like being on a whole nother planet.

What size is it currently. If it's really big you could also consider putting a divider in so it's smaller and not as much to take in then expand it again once she is used to it.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”