PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Vertical Gardens

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Vertical Gardens

Postby minervasden » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Vertical Gardening

Vertical gardening is simply creating a garden utilizing vertical space. They can be small and simple- a row of small pots on the kitchen wall for growing herbs or large, ambitious projects covering the side of a building.

Can be large wall panels, hanging gardens or free standing units.

You can use pre-made commercial panels or diy. Always choose safe nontoxic plants.
Small panels can be mounted directly to enclosure. Larger panels/areas may need an additional framework.

Mount on the outside of an outdoor enclosure and facing outward to offer privacy and camouflage from nosy neighbors. Shield the animal from sights/sounds of busy roads, provide shade. Hide an area that maybe is not visually unappealing to humans.

Mounted inside enclosure also provides privacy and shade.

Plant edibles within animals reach. Can plant trailing edibles on higher levels.

Some animals can use the garden for vertical climbing space and even nesting.

Can be enriching even for species/individuals don’t/won’t/can’t nibble or climb the wall.

Some critters just like destroying the plants.

Choose scented leaves and flowers for seasonal scent enrichment.

Colorful flowers for visual enrichment. Try for a staggered bloom time.

Don’t forget small panels for indoor cages. May need supplemental lighting.

Examples

I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vertical Gardens

Postby pat » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 pm

really great idea and can be very useful for privacy and editable.

Thank you for sharing the info..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 am

That's really a cool idea! But - I wonder how long they would last for a raccoon? I'm thinking not long. We'll be adding an outside enclosure for our raccoon soon, and I was turning over some ideas of using some sort of plant life to block the sun & provide privacy. Shrubbery was my first thought but if it could be more eye appealing than that, it would be great. The above ideas look great. Might have to try it! I was also thinking of hanging some planter boxes off of the outside of the enclosure to pretty it up some. Out of range of Dewey's hands, of course! :lol:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 am

I'm wondering if this same idea could be used as a wall for an iguana enclosure, lol. I think the iguanas would eat it though, but you never know. Would just have to be sure to use safe plants. But it could look really pretty.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
reptileamor

Postby reptileamor » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am

wow that is amazing! I have never seen that before. They are perfectly at a 90 degree angle on that first pic. Wow, just wow, thanks for sharing. I'd like to try that.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:39 pm

This doesn't look too bad once the plants are grown https://www.facebook.com/GardenTowerProject/app/515720611858523/
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 am

That's pretty cool! Thought I'd like to have one ... until I saw the price. Yikes!! :monkshock:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm

DeweysMom wrote:That's pretty cool! Thought I'd like to have one ... until I saw the price. Yikes!! :monkshock:

True. They are having a giveaway contest right now though. You could enter :icon-wink:
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:52 pm

I've seen vertical gardens before, but would never have thought of it for animal enrichment.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”