PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:50 pm

You'll need to scroll down some. The top portion is about preparing wild collected wood using a pesticide (but some good notes on choosing wood). This is a turtle specific page but the platforms are not limited to turtle use.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/How%20to%20Build%20a%20Driftwood%20Basking%20Platform.htm

I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 pm

I've always had curiosity about treating and prepping wild wood! Thank you for this!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Ana wrote:I've always had curiosity about treating and prepping wild wood! Thank you for this!

I don't know much about the pesticide method on the page, so I certainly would do more research before using.

EDIT: This is the method most commonly used-Bleach and Baking. http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-articles/enclosure-wood-sanitation/
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah, I've read so many different things, I might try writing some of them down for my next trip to the vet, but if I know him, it'll be the blank stare again, LOL
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:40 pm

I just grabbed some driftwood from the lake and a tree like branch from a pruning pile and Pua is still alive.

Of course I also bring in buggy wood on [purpose for them to play with and the house is still standing.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I just grabbed some driftwood from the lake and a tree like branch from a pruning pile and Pua is still alive.

Of course I also bring in buggy wood on [purpose for them to play with and the house is still standing.

It just depends on the purpose and animals involved. I certainly don't see a point in cleaning a wild log for a tamandua
icon-smile

It's a good idea to clean driftwood and even wooden hamster houses from the pet store as well. Don't want to take home something (mites) you didn't purchase.
Ana

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 am

SOMEHOW, I'd get some outrageous, pernicious bug/fungus/entity that would work it's way into the ears of EVERY animal in the house and cost me a million dollars. I cannot count the times I've brought mites and ringworm here, and once a fungus the vet couldn't even frigging identify. YEAST, termites, carpenter ants, SOMETHING would be in there to create havoc. Somehow. :lol:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Depends on the animal, as Minerva said. :) For snakes, I like preparing any wild wood. On the other hand, the LAST thing I want to do is de-bug the wood when it comes to lizards. The bugs in the branches help make the rest of the enclosure bio-active. In the case of tropical lizards, bugs are our friends, lol.

But I definitely wouldn't use plain, wild wood on just anything. Some animals need the extra protection.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”