PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What would YOU do with this?

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

What would YOU do with this?

Postby minervasden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Below, I'll present a random object and you share what you would do with the item enrichment-wise. Later, I'll come back and share my uses if they haven't already been mentioned. Then we play again with something new.

First random object is this single sisal placemat:
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
caninesrock

Re: What would YOU do with this?

Postby caninesrock » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 am

I would rub it in various interesting scents and give it to my future canids to sniff and/or scent-roll on.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 am

Roll it around something, and create a big scratching post.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 am

I'd use safety pins on the edges and hang it up as a hammock for my rat, after prettying it up a little and making It more comfy.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 am

Once again the item we are working with is this single sisal placemat

Thanks to those who replied with their ideas.
@caninesrock For any that just want to eat it, you can try framing it with wood and hanging on an enclosure wall at a height they can rub on.

@H20 Sl This particular mat wouldn't work for that purpose but maybe cannot tell that from the picture. A little bit different mat would so credit given :icon-wink:

@Peacefulward Good use.

A few additional ideas:

Wrap around (trim if needed) small cardboard tubes or other objects, using small amounts of nontoxic glue as needed, to make your own textured toss toys such as for rabbits.

The whole mat can be used as a bunching or tossing toy by rabbits and critters with similar habits.

Again trim as/if needed and using nontoxic glue or binder clips as needed, attach to some tunnels, ramps, platforms, etc. in a hamster/small rodent cage for novel texture and chewing. Sisal is generally regarded as safe to chew. This particular mat is not a good idea to hang as a climbing wall due to potential toe safety issues.

Bunch the mat up so it resembles a ball or bath scrubbie. Add stitches as needed to keep shape. Use as a ball.

Roll the mat up like this

Secure end however is appropriate for the intended use and animal. Stitches, weave a ribbon, etc.

Give it to a cat to use as a 'kitty kicker'

Use as a soft toy for playing fetch.

As a toss toy for animals that tend to cause damage when tossing harder toys.

Just a novel object, plain or scented

Start with the mat flat, place some greens, sliced produce, other thin foods, treats and then roll up. Use ribbons, Velcro or other straps that an animal has to undue to get the food.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:36 am

I am not very creative, so I certainly appreciate your great ideas.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:07 pm

pat wrote:I am not very creative.

You're probably more creative than you believe you are. I hope you'll participate in the next challenge.

And speaking of the next challenge, here it is and it's an easy one: a frisbee/flying disc. Just your basic solid plastic frisbee. You can use as many frisbees as needed for your enrichment. Color unimportant unless important to your enrichment.

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:41 pm

No takers? Ok then, here are a few of the things you can do with a frisbee. Late submissions are accepted :icon-wink:

Interactive games such as fetch or trick training

Offer as a random novel object +/- scent. Can also present as a random novel hanging toy.

Attach mirror paper or unbreakable mirror and hang, add to another toy or however you want to present a mirror.

Frisbees float so be sure to offer in water features if appropriate.

Float it upside down with some treats on it so animal enters water and/or pulls the Frisbee ashore to get treats.

Multiple ways to configure as a swing/hanging bed. Even a tiered multi disc swing.
- Make a ‘sling’ from a sturdy material and hang
-Drill 3 evenly spaced holes and hang with chains or rope.
- Any other way you can come up with to hang so long as it is sturdy and stable.

Use as a mold for making ice discs with or without treats. Could make multiple discs with a different treat or blood/broth each layer. Stack layers (mist between layers). Mist stack with water and place back in freezer until solid = layer ‘cake’

Freeze with water +/- other treats but have a bone, fish, carrot etc. placed vertically like a handle. Give whole thing to animal.

Attach indoor/outdoor carpet to underside to make a small foraging smear board. Lots of options for presentation.

As a foraging or dig tray for small animals lots of options on what to use as filler. Also dust/sand bath.

As small trays for starting pet grass/sprouting seeds. Easy to place in cage or playpen.

Decorate like a chandelier or dream catcher/similar and hang safely out of reach for novel visual enrichment.

For animals newer to foraging, placing a Frisbee upside down, add treats, place another Frisbee loosely on top. Easy to get to the treat. Can add difficulty by placing Frisbees on a rope or chain and must lift up top disc. Add more difficulty by adding another step before can lift the top disc. Something like this but frisbees instead of coconut
Minty

Postby Minty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:03 pm

I imagine it could also be folded to make a tent for a small animal.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:32 pm

I could just think of Pua and using as a dish for her vinegar for baths. I use a lid for her now.

Could put a hole in the middle to mount on a rod then could maybe make it so they have to turn it to get to treats.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:19 pm

Putting treats under a frisbee and letting an animal work on getting to them might work.

Could also drill holes in it, looping rope to hang it from the roof of the cage so it can hold food like a bird feeder.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:04 pm

New item: Upholstery fabric samples. Often available for free from stores/showrooms when the next seasons designs arrive. Come in almost limitless materials, colors, patterns and textures. Sizes vary and commonly range from 4"x4" to 15"x15". What could/would you do if someone gave you a box full?

Safety: Loose strings can be dangerous so check for those. Using pinking shears or other decorative edge scissors can help prevent fraying. Otherwise use regular safety common sense.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:11 pm

If strong enough hammocks. If not could use for patch work design on hammocks or bed. Make pockets for foraging stuff in or put scent on. Could make toys out of them if you sew well enough. I made Hyzzie a toy once because I used to make toys to sent to others and make the hammocks for the anteaters and she got jealous. So I made her a toy it was just a triangle with a squeaker in it but she watched me making it the whole time excited and loved that but mart of the reason I made it simple was because her favorite toy her whole life was a circle that was similar.

I was actually going to post one today for ideas cuz I hate to waste this thing. My brush pen set came with this stand but it's useless for that because you want to keep them laying down.

It's 6 pieces 4 leg supports which are hallow, the top which is holes and the bottom which is more tray like as the "holes" have backs.

My best ideas are put treats in the holes for the fennec to claw out once he gets here or hang some toy from the top but it's not tall at all, just a couple inches of space.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Ok for the brush pen set stand the top ans bottom panels would each make good smear boards although the top piece could be messy depending on what you used.

Is it sturdy enough and right size that you could make it into a step?

Not big enough to do this for your Fennec but for small animals could use it as a walk through 'fleece forest' or other massage, grooming, or other tactile walk through.

When assembled as intended, cover or partially cover the sides with something to turn it into a foraging toy. A variety of materials could work and you could change it up.

If the hollow legs were big enough I'd part them out for small critter enrichment.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:09 pm

The legs holes are just over pencil width. Might work to squirt some cheese in there for the anteaters to lick out. Would be easy to clean with a pipe brush. Some things I've used can be hard to clean because of small hole but large inside area.

Smearing stuff on the tray would make for a messy clean up job.

Foraging tray is the best I could come up with. Could use top off at first, then on later once the idea is had. Then would have to dig and paw at to get dry treats out of the holes. Or like I saw one exotic do recently toss the tray so all the treats fall out, lol, depends how smart they really are.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”