PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Audio Enrichment

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Audio Enrichment

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:04 pm

So anteaters are not very visual since they are gathers rather than active hunters. That makes any enrichment that doesn't involve food hard to come by. But they are very reactive to sounds so I tried playing this last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4uTYXlWCSE&t=8439s

Pua instantly stopped eating her snack to listen for a minute or two then went back to eating. I left it run for a few hours and it did effect their behavior. Only saw Pua when she moved around but now and then a sound would get her to stop and listen for a moment. Aurora stayed in the closet but I could hear her move around like she'd come a bit closer to the source of the sounds then retreat. They seemed to mostly just sit in the closet together listening. When I turned it off Pua came out of the closet and lay on the shelf and cried for a bit.

Here's some videos designed for dogs and cats. http://laughingsquid.com/david-tennant- ... ans-relax/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Audio Enrichment

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Cool. At work we play some "ambient" music around the show room like jungle sounds. The vibration probably doesn't affect any of the snakes since it isn't loud with heavy beats--so no vibration for them to feel and be annoyed by. But I've wondered about the lizards, tortoises, and crocodilians whether it makes a difference or not. Reptiles though do prefer silence it seems, but I don't know if there's been any study to prove that there isn't a type of sound they like. I haven't noticed the jungle sounds making a difference, but I haven't paid too close attention to it either.

Haha, I'm sure my foxes would like music every now and again or some sort of new noise. That's a benefit to being outside though. Pheasants are out and about and can be noisy. So whenever one of them squawks, they both look up and try to find it. Being indoors isn't as stimulating for foxes simply because there aren't lots of sounds. They always do the head-tilt when my phone goes off though. It's pretty cute. But that shows they are interested in the new sounds and therefore stimulated and enriched.

That's cute with Pua. I bet her body language isn't easy to read (well, I'm sure by now you're an expert). A canine's ears and face are very expressive, but I think with an anteater you'd have to pay closer attention to posture since the head area wouldn't give you much idea of what they were thinking?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Pua got really moody and was crying last night so I put on some jungle sounds, day time this time so lots of birds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWhebFt_r0

She stopped crying instantly and sat down on her tail to listen for a very long time moving her head for better hearing of things and really enchanted it seemed. Then eventually she went to the window to sniff and keep listening. She was disappointed we do not have working smell-o-vision yet. She really loved it and listened for a couple hours!

Aurora on the other hand hid till the sounds were all over. Not sure if she associates the sounds with her old life and that bothers her, associates it with me being awake so is avoiding me, or she is just mad that it's not country music(she likes country music, no other music though).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:24 pm

That's so interesting that Pua reacted that way, ha. Glad it soothed her to hear the sounds. I don't have any indoor animals other than reptiles (which dislike vibrations) so can't try that out.

Forgot, we've got Mousse the dog, lol. I'll have to try out different music and see how he reacts.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Beaker gets interested when I play fox sounds he likes the fennec sounds he seemed to find red sounds a bit annoying.

Last night I played a video with some upset anteater noises and he was looking down at Aurora's box like he thought it was her. Of course dogs barking always gets his attention too.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:09 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Beaker gets interested when I play fox sounds he likes the fennec sounds he seemed to find red sounds a bit annoying.

Last night I played a video with some upset anteater noises and he was looking down at Aurora's box like he thought it was her. Of course dogs barking always gets his attention too.

that is funny :lol: I would love to get in the mind of these animals even for a second.

I couldn't get the link to work, might be my stupid win10 :shrug:
I use to have a little sound unit where I can change the sounds from water to animal sounds.
I use to use the the water one at night to help me relax. but, never thought to let my animals listen to the animal sounds.

I was watching youtube on my roku last night. was looking at "animals" of course. there was a baby anteater, sure was cute, but not as cute as pua.
the ones I seen was a dark color.

what colors do anteaters come in? all I seen was yours. seen one at the zoo long time ago, but, can't remember what color it was.
I love Pua's color, she is so beautiful. Pua has some really nice outfits.... she has more cloths than I do :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”