ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

suggested digging (for animal) depth

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

suggested digging (for animal) depth

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm none too sure if the title makes since, but here's what I want second options on.

I am setting up a house plan, and I want part of the enclosure (for a fox) under the porch.

For the part that uses the deck as a roof, I was thinking; instead of digging the fencing below (because I would be using the basement as a wall) I would find a way to attach fencing to bottom of the basement, and I would lay dirt.

Also, the enclosure will be on the large size. It will follow the length of the house (60 or 80 feet), the porch deck will have a 10 foot depth along with another 10 extended beyond the porch. Also, the animal will have access into the basement, house and porch. I am planning the house around pets.

1st (this pertains to the fence attached to the basement) would 2 or 3 feet depth be better, or is laying a fence along the basement wall unnecessary?

2nd, is two or three feet of dirt a good dirt depth for digging? I was aiming for 2 feet because I figured I would need to encase a pathway for the basement door exit, and 2 feet is a safer height.

Thanks for the input.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: suggested digging (for animal) depth

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:48 am

The deeper the better, but that's not always practical or needed. It's kind of like giving the animal extra space. Three feet would always be ideal (I wish my guys had that much dirt), but 2 feet would be great too. Mostly depends on what you can offer as an owner. A fox would definitely use the three feet of dig space though and love it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Ash wrote:Three feet would always be ideal (I wish my guys had that much dirt), but 2 feet would be great too.

If the basement didn't have (or I plan to have door that opens) I would pile more on. But I plan to build a room down there (for myself) so I need a window and the exit door)

So, I need to make sure that are doesn't become a fall-hazard, and no dirt covering the window exit (that's the easy solve)

So, I need to keep the door zone safe, but also making sure my animal can go in out as it pleases.

Any ideas? If I can solve this problem, then I'd go with the 3 feet, or close to it anyway. I think I'd have to go with a 36" inch long window.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 pm

A small retaining wall and steps up from the door.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:A small retaining wall and steps up from the door.

Steps are a given if I plan to pile dirt to get height

Let me show an example of what I mean.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ceb1eb.jpg

I so much don't want to put up railing because it's under a deck.

I feel like going higher then 2 feet will become an unsafe fall-zone for humans and animals. So I'm looking into a solution or a work around for this.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Sorry, forgot to show the other example

http://hamptonconcrete.com/wp-content/g ... stall2.jpg

An egress is a common thing, but I wouldn't be able to keep the doors open.

And since the full height of the door won't be buried, the egress can't be used, I don't think.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:44 am

Vata Raven wrote:Sorry, forgot to show the other example

http://hamptonconcrete.com/wp-content/g ... stall2.jpg

An egress is a common thing, but I wouldn't be able to keep the doors open.

And since the full height of the door won't be buried, the egress can't be used, I don't think.

You could probably do similar. Like just a box with steps in front of the door that you open before opening the door, or after if from inside, long as the door opens in instead of out.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:25 am

Thank you for the suggestions.

I guess I'll have check how they would even build the basement. I read it depends where the the house placement is, they may or may not be able to craft a walk-out basement.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”