PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

put away or allow to roam at night (for fox)

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

put away or allow to roam at night (for fox)

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

With my house plan to make the basement, deck, and under deck area (even inside the house) as a fenced in area to allow my fox roam.

I already see myself building this section that acts like a cage, so when a stranger visits, I can put the animal away inside,

But for the nights (when I go to bed or something), should I make an effort to put the animal away each night or just let it roam as it pleases during the night?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: put away or allow to roam at night (for fox)

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm not as sure about arctics but many a red fox has died from foreign body impactions. It's not realistic for all that space to be free from things a fox might chew since you are living there too.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 pm

I would put the fox away as long as the fox has plenty of space. Fox-proofing a home completely I don't think is possible, so I wouldn't trust it to roam while you're not there. There are so many cords, for example, that they could chew and swallow. But if you make part of your house like a fox room/fox cage like you're suggesting, then putting it in there for the night would be a good idea.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I'll attach a picture to show the rough layout of my planned house.

house plan.png

The bottom would be the front entrance.

The steel frame building is going to be 80 x 60 feet, but the house itself is 64 x 44 feet with an 8 foot wrap around deck.

The basement (meant to be mine and my pet's space), reflects the house in terms of square feet, but it'll only have the 1 bedroom (the bigger square) and a half-bath (the tiny square next to the big square). And I only see an under-deck of the back of the house being accessible.

If kept my fox the basement and deck zone, I don't see too much too worry about. The upper-level of the house would be different since it will have a living room and kitchen zone.

I currently don't know where the boiler (for house heating) and tank-less water heater, but I want to enclose those, if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 pm

I'd think a single room would be more than enough for the fox to stay in when not supervised. Unless you had absolutely nothing in any of those rooms, besides metal furniture and toys that can't be chewed apart in all of those free-roam rooms. And no one else who would possibly leave items in them by accident without you knowing. It's tough to have to think that way, but when the animal's health and safety are the focus, being that serious about it isn't overdoing it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:38 pm

It looks great. Fable lived in the basement for most of his first year. I think your plan is good, and the space the fox has indoors will be nice for the two of you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Since building from scratch it would help some to make all the electrical outlets up high so you can have the cables more out of reach. It's one of the bigger risks because we humans don't live without our electronics but foxes have not only chewed but ingested them before and obviously the outcome isn't good.

Ikigai does free roam my room but fennecs are not as prone to chewing. He did chew a couple cables when teething but I was lucky and he just chewed through and didn't eat anything. He has no interest now but I block them off at night still anyway. Over all he's a bit unusual and not prone to getting into things or eating oddities. It is so easy to over look something though. He does have the fennec affinity for rubber and chewed the rubber feet on a mini tripod I have when I left it out and he somehow found Pua's old squeaky toy and ate the antenna off of it.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Since it has been suggested to craft a single room to use as a caging zone, what would a good sized room be? I currently make use of a 16x16 and 12x12 bedroom in the plan. The half-baths are 8x8.

Or would a better way to go about the fox room would be build the cage outside?
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Since building from scratch it would help some to make all the electrical outlets up high so you can have the cables more out of reach.

Not sure how high you're thinking, but if one is to comply to the ADA building standards (something I'm trying to make use of) they suggest 12 to 18 inches on-center from the floor. I would go for the 18 inches with the placement. Not sure if that would be high enough or not.

But there are wire channels. Maybe a good choice to prevent the chewing. Not sure what you'd do about the tiny bit let out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wire ... /202059078

But I wonder if it's advised to run the cables through the wall. Might not be a good idea because then it would be a pain to renew any needed cables.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm not sure I understand that. 12-18" high and center of the room? I can see how that might make it easier for someone in a chair but what if you have a bad back and can't reach down easily? When we redid my room we moved all the plugs, except one we somehow forgot to, up to maybe 4-ish feet high. Makes them east to reach for humans but not chewing critters. I hate having the plugs down low like the rest of the house has. You're going to likely be putting what ever you plug in on a counter/shelf/table so reaching really low, possibly behind something to get to them is annoying,

I guess you'd just have to get some sort of wire protectors for them instead.

The other way I read that at first was centered withing 12-18 inches of the center of the wall from top to bottom but that might not be reasonable for tall walls so you probably meant the other way.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Juska wrote:I'd think a single room would be more than enough for the fox to stay in when not supervised.

Would a 12x12 room be a good size? I assume a room inside the house is best, or would building the section outside be best?

On my end, I'm not worried about people laying things around since my mother and I will be the only ones living there. From time to time, there will be guests. The large closets will help contain our things.The basement won't be a tool storage area, so that helps with safety.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Ash wrote:It looks great. Fable lived in the basement for most of his first year. I think your plan is good, and the space the fox has indoors will be nice for the two of you.

Was he in the basement because there was no secure enclosure? At the very least, I will have the under-deck enclosed. Having the upper-deck enclosed would also be ideal. Though I would like to expand the fenced area beyond the deck, I just haven't figured out a way to go about that yet.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 pm

His enclosure was a large room in the basement that was partitioned off specifically for a fox. But during the day he could roam the whole basement. (Basement was almost finished, just had no ceiling, but there was nothing he could get at except concrete.) He had a hay day down there. That was back when I thought an indoor fox could be possible. At least he had an enclosure, lol. But I learned quickly, lol. He peed all up and down the carpeted stairs and we needed to not only rip it up, but sand it too. Dug a tunnel through the couch too (but it was given to him to tear up in the first place.) He lived in the basement area for about 8 months. Surprisingly he did great in there, but I moved to Utah and needed to take him with me.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Ash wrote:At least he had an enclosure, lol.

Yeah, at least he did. I never really thought of a room inside the house as an enclosure, maybe because I like animals going outside and roaming.

What was the size of the room you had for Fable?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 pm

I don't know the exact dimensions, but it was decently sized. Like at least 15x15' if I'm remembering correctly.

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”