PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tribble

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jackie

Re: Tribble

Postby Jackie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:00 pm

I had the same thing happen this time last year. Noir's flight had just been booked and as my boyfriend and I pulled into the driveway, we found a Raccoon looking confused and stumbling around in front of our garage door. Thinking it had rabies, and concerned that my boyfriend's elderly great aunt was inside we called Animal Control. They said definitively that it was not rabies, it was distemper. It happens in Florida every year - raccoon populations bloom out of control in the spring and they end up sick by the thousands. I can say with certainty Fizzgig is not in danger of becoming rabid, however, I do suggest adding some sort of raccoon guard to her enclosure for the distemper concern even if she is vaccinated. Within three days of being moved to his outdoor enclosure, a raccoon showed up and was stealing his food through the wiring while Noir cowered in his watchtower.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Jackie wrote:I had the same thing happen this time last year. Noir's flight had just been booked and as my boyfriend and I pulled into the driveway, we found a Raccoon looking confused and stumbling around in front of our garage door. Thinking it had rabies, and concerned that my boyfriend's elderly great aunt was inside we called Animal Control. They said definitively that it was not rabies, it was distemper. It happens in Florida every year - raccoon populations bloom out of control in the spring and they end up sick by the thousands. I can say with certainty Fizzgig is not in danger of becoming rabid, however, I do suggest adding some sort of raccoon guard to her enclosure for the distemper concern even if she is vaccinated. Within three days of being moved to his outdoor enclosure, a raccoon showed up and was stealing his food through the wiring while Noir cowered in his watchtower.

I was under the impression that canine distemper is the only vaccine you cannot give to Gray's?
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Unfortunately, I did lose Fizzgig to distemper induced by a vaccine. Allegedly, anyway.

I don;t know if I can take it if i lost Tribble to distemper.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Jen Jen wrote:Unfortunately, I did lose Fizzgig to distemper induced by a vaccine. Allegedly, anyway.

I don;t know if I can take it if i lost Tribble to distemper.

That's what I read a while back, and I've heard other stories of grays dying from it too. :( I'm sure that Tribble is fine, I'm pretty sure you need significantly closer contact in order to pass distemper on. We have had several positive dogs at the shelter I used to volunteer at that never passed it on to the other dogs, even to the unvaccinated. As long the raccoon didn't sneeze directly onto her, you can bleach whatever you think the raccoon may have touched as well as the feces or any urine (that you know of).
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Jackie

Postby Jackie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Unfortunately, Greys are not my area of expertise. :/ I knew the basic story about Fizzgig, but I thought it was due to the makeup of the vaccine, rather than distemper specifically.

In addition to bleaching, perhaps you may want to plant some peppermint plants around the enclosure? Raccoons (and other rodents) cannot stand the scent. I suppose you could also mist the ground with peppermint oil diluted with water, but I know certain animals are sensitive to it so it might be best to do a perimeter a couple feet from Tribble's cage.
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, she hasn't shown any signs of illness and it's going on two weeks. I'm still on edge, looking for the slightest little thing.

On a happier note, I had her inside today and I decided to paint my toe nails. She was keen on 'helping' until I took the brush out! She couldn't get away fast enough after smelling it!
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 pm

the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Jen Jen wrote:http://youtu.be/CfpGIrRIRJw

Yep, I just exploded, she's so CUTE!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Aw, that is soo cute. I love how she pushes your hand with her nose to get you to keep petting her! What a doll.

How's she liking the outdoor enclosure? From all the pictures you've posted on here and on facebook she seems to be enjoying it a lot.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm

That face she makes at 0:09 OH MY CUTE!! She really loves you a lot. :mrgreen: icon-smile
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Ash wrote:Aw, that is soo cute. I love how she pushes your hand with her nose to get you to keep petting her! What a doll.

How's she liking the outdoor enclosure? From all the pictures you've posted on here and on facebook she seems to be enjoying it a lot.
Yeah, she's really liking her outdoor enclosure. She still likes to have visits inside, but she does enjoy outside alone time a lot.

@the_randomizer: I know! She's my little cutie pie!
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I've been a bad owner and I feel so guilty. I had a medical thing going on, and that very unfortunately meant Tribble was completely ignored for three full days. Except for food and water, I just couldn't do anything with her. Getting her food to her and making it back to the house without crying was a victory. I couldn't watch her and Grimm outside, and I could not deal with her inside.

No real point here, just ranting a little. I'm doing much better, and played with Tribble extra today.

the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Hey, it's perfectly all right, stuff happens, often beyond our control; Tribble will still love you no matter what. <3 :mrgreen:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:27 am

It's happened to all of us. ;) Don't worry, you're a great fox owner. Sometimes if you do have to go a day or two without seeing them, they're much more excited and "appreciative" when you come back!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks guys. She was over the moom excited when I brought her inside after I started to feel better.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”