PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Corsacs and bat eared for sale?

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

s.iker

Corsacs and bat eared for sale?

Postby s.iker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:33 pm

http://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/2835_Corsac_Fox_Kit_For_Sale.asp

Looking online and seeing some corsac foxes for sale, they kind of look like gray foxes... Being that they are more rare in the US, they are more expensive... but i dont want to spend all that money only to have it be a grey fox. Has anyone had experience with corsacs?

Same with bat eared foxes? Experience? For sale anywhere?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Corsacs and bat eared for sale?

Postby sarajeku » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Ugh. That's Wes. He's still trying that??
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 pm

The ad is quite old and says it's been since removed.
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 am

Yea I saw that. But is there any other breeders out there? And to me they look like grey foxes. I only used that pic to show what I mean.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

As far as I know, none in the US. Theoretically, you could find a broker and importer to get one from overseas, but it wouldn't be very young when it arrived.

Corsacs and swifts look VERY much alike to me. I don't see the resemblance between them and grays though.
Mandy (dinnka here) breeds swifts.
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

sarajeku wrote:As far as I know, none in the US. Theoretically, you could find a broker and importer to get one from overseas, but it wouldn't be very young when it arrived.

Corsacs and swifts look VERY much alike to me. I don't see the resemblance between them and grays though.
Mandy (dinnka here) breeds swifts.

Now that i look at it, Corsacs and swifts do look alike.. :lol:

I saw a pic and it looked like a grey.. wonder if i can find it again.. Oh well...

I would love to find them and breed them myself, but at this time that wont be possible.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I think owning some bat-eared foxes would be one of the neatest things. I've watched them at the Hogle Zoo here in Utah, and they're very neat little animals. They act a lot like red foxes, gekkering, butting each other out of the way when they get possessive, etc.

They're one of the animals on my wishlist.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Ash wrote:I think owning some bat-eared foxes would be one of the neatest things. I've watched them at the Hogle Zoo here in Utah, and they're very neat little animals. They act a lot like red foxes, gekkering, butting each other out of the way when they get possessive, etc.

They're one of the animals on my wishlist.

Didn't know Hogle Zoo had those kind of foxes :mrgreen:
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 am

Bat eared would be neat... If only getting them wouldnt be soo hard..
Maybe after i advance in my career i'll invest in a breeding pair.
Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:23 am

The photo in the ad was taken by my grandmother and yes, it is a corsac.

Corsacs and Swifts are almost identical. The only major difference is that corsacs have round pupils :icon-wink:.

Nikki and I have talked at length about my corsacs and her Swift and we really cannot find any differences in behavior. Smell wise neither smell but when their violet gland is released corsacs smell like death (Nikki and I both work in healthcare so we know this smell, it's sort of sweet), where as swifts smell more like a traditional red fox when they are freaked. (If I remember rightly).

Both species are smaller then wikipedia would have you believe.

I know Valla's breeder shipped two corsacs to the US about 5 years ago but apparently the person with them has thus far had no success breeding them. Corsacs really do seem hard to breed I mean I can breed fennecs but I have yet to manage to breed corsacs and it's not that they don't like each other like is the case with my arctics, they adore each other but no luck.

If you want to see corsacs in the US San Diego zoo has them :-).
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Elina wrote:
I know Valla's breeder shipped two corsacs to the US about 5 years ago but apparently the person with them has thus far had no success breeding them. Corsacs really do seem hard to breed I mean I can breed fennecs but I have yet to manage to breed corsacs and it's not that they don't like each other like is the case with my arctics, they adore each other but no luck.

If you want to see corsacs in the US San Diego zoo has them :-).

I would love to go to the San Diego zoo... (I would prefer to be a vet there actualy, if i get into vet school and finish as an exotic vet,) But im on the other side of the states, soooo i doubt i'll be able to go anytime soon... lol

I see.. is it just because they are difficult to breed in general, or like stress from being shipped and importe and what not. I mean could someone try artificial insemination? Just to kick start breeding pairs? But then there would have to be 4 starting breeding so there wont be inbreed foxes to keep the breeding going that is...

Even if the breeder was serious, and just constantly did artificial, with pairs, (during the time once a year like normal, not like a puppy mill one after another!! (before someone freaks out)) that might be the only way to keep them populated (if there was a high demand)

sorry i dont mean to sound like im all about breeding and selling cruelly.. Im just curious.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:48 pm

You need to know when the female is fertile otherwise the sperm will not find an egg and just die. It's possible though since it's sometimes done with reds but it wouldn't be easy.

Generally speaking though once you bottle feed it makes it harder to breed, not easier. Stress doesn't seem to be the main issue here.

I think it's more likely the keeping them together. Some species will simply not breed animals they are house with or near. This is an instinct to prevent inbreeding. Many species need to be put together just for breeding then separated again and if raised together they will be imprinted as family and even separating then putting them back at breeding wont likely help.
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I think it's more likely the keeping them together. Some species will simply not breed animals they are house with or near. This is an instinct to prevent inbreeding. Many species need to be put together just for breeding then separated again and if raised together they will be imprinted as family and even separating then putting them back at breeding wont likely help.

makes sense... but dont foxes mate for life?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 pm

It depends on the species but I think generally speaking no. They may mate in repeated years but mostly due to being in the same territories because even if the male stays to help raise young they separate again after.

ADW(which is better than Wiki) for this sort of thing says it's not know for sure if corsacs are monogamous but indications would be no as they fight for a mate at the start of breeding season though do stay to raise the family. If they were monogamous for life they would just find their female and no fighting because she would only accept him. Either way they are apart most of the year.
s.iker

Postby s.iker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:It depends on the species but I think generally speaking no. They may mate in repeated years but mostly due to being in the same territories because even if the male stays to help raise young they separate again after.

ADW(which is better than Wiki) for this sort of thing says it's not know for sure if corsacs are monogamous but indications would be no as they fight for a mate at the start of breeding season though do stay to raise the family. If they were monogamous for life they would just find their female and no fighting because she would only accept him. Either way they are apart most of the year.

ah makes sense.. very interesting... this is definitely something that i wanna look into in the future.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”