PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Changing thoughts on which fox I should get.

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxyjadda

Changing thoughts on which fox I should get.

Postby Foxyjadda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 am

So I was sitting and thinking, what if I don't get a Fennec fox? For some reason I feel like why not get something a bit bigger, not as small and loud as a fennec ( even though over the years I have trained my self to sleep through the night with a fennec fox screaming in my ear randomly.) but not as big as a red? My choice are Swift ( which I wanted to get when I was older ) or a Gray. 
Do you guys think that is a good idea? Remember I won't be getting a fox until I get my own house ( I don't know what age I'll have my own house but I'm 15 now)
Anyways should I go into researching Swift and Grays and figure which one is best for me or should I stick with a Fennec fox because that's what I've been studying for so long?
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing thoughts on which fox I should get.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 am

Study them all and see which you like best. I got into exotics because of fennecs and have anteaters now ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 am

I think it's great to keep your mind open, especially since you have plenty of time to plan and research. By researching, you'll narrow down what you'll want because most likely you'll gravitate toward one because it'll appeal to you most.

When I was researching foxes, I was most interested in red foxes since they were such pretty colors, and the "standard" fox. They also were the only ones I'd ever interacted with.

I actually almost got a fennec from a lady in Florida the winter before Fable was born. We had everything set to go, but the lady was very spacey, and at the last minute we chose not to go through with it. In retrospect I'm glad I held off. If I had gotten the fennec, I most likely would not have gotten Fable.

It's best that I went with the species I liked most. I love all foxes, but reds are very special to me, and Fable has been such a great eye-opener.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Okay, I did a few quick searches when I was in school. So hard to find info :lol: . There is barely any info on Swift foxes, and I didn't get too far in with gray's. I'm going to do more searching but if anyone has links on either animal ,that will be greatly appreciated.
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:58 pm

My interest in pet foxes was started by fennecs, solidified by the Russian domestics, and now I have a gray fox.

Luckily, you have many years to deeply research all the species and decide which one you think will best fit your life.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 pm

I originally wanted a fennec, and then a Russian domesticated, and then ended up with an arctic, and if I'm ever to get another fox I have no idea what species I'd want, haha.

The only info about swifts I really know of is here: http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/swift.htm

And grays are fairly uncommon, but the only things I really know about them is that they don't smell quite as bad as reds, and I've heard from the people who have them that they don't like going for walks/don't like harnesses, which I've heard is true for swifts/grays/corsacs. They also climb a lot.

Mandy Markley, a breeder in Ohio who breeds reds, swifts, grays and fennecs once remarked on this board that of all the species she has, she considers grays to be the most cuddly, but of course it varies a lot between individual. I've also heard of people who don't have an enclosure for them, but it seems it's better to have one since they are climbing foxes and it'd be better for them to be scaling a platform and not your drapery. I think that's the edge swifts might have over grays - they aren't quite as adept as climbers.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 pm

I was introduced into the "hey i can have a pet fox" when i was ten. I was doing a research report on fennec foxes for school and found that you can have them as pets, and obviously i loved them considering that was my chosen topic. But i knew i was only ten so i didn't bother with it. A couple years later i was looking at videos on youtube and saw foxabiazul's (sorry if i spelled that wrong) pet fox, ron, and was even more excited that i could have a red. I started researching more, and the type of fox i want keeps flip flopping.
Personally i dont see myself with a fennec, or being somewhere cold enough that i wouldn't feel bad for an arctic. And i want to get a silver, they're one of my more favored colors, and everytime i see their face and those pretty brown eyes, it reminds me of my dog. She was taken by the pound because my younger sister wouldn't stop letting her loose in the neighborhood.

You have a ton of time to choose, 3 years alone just to even be legal to move out, and then you have to /get/ a house and a very steady job. You have plenty of time to decide, and so do i :]
I think the best thing you could do is research as much as you can within that time, because you can never stop learning new things, and it will help you be prepared and know what you want when the time comes
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”