PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Kit Foxes

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Kit Foxes

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Just curious if anyone knew much of the kit fox status at the moment? I was doing a bit of research on various fox species that could be kept, but that isn't (or at least, not that I could find!).

I found Neofelis's link from a while back about kit foxes (/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8838) but since things change so often I thought it worth asking since that's over two years old.

So, I was wondering if anyone has heard of any breeding pairs in the pet trade or not? I know the species isn't endangered (it's least concern on the IUCN), but that a subspecies is. That would mean that in some states, like Florida, they could be kept legally.

Just curious! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kit Foxes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Vulpes macrotis mutica San Joaquin kit fox Mammals Endangered

The San Joaquin kit fox is on the USF&W endangered species list making it illegal to own.

It is likely illegal to capture the other two subspecies and keep them live, especially basing that on the states they are native to.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:33 am

Right, that's why I was just talking about the main species instead of the endangered subspecies. :lol: Sorry if my wording was confusing.

It's a shame, since I'd place money on them being good indoor foxes like the other small ones. So, was the thought of importing them from Mexico figured out?
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 17, 2014 10:14 pm

One thing you could do is try to get a variance in the states where the subspecies is not endangered and have them captured live. You could get a wild-caught pair in hopes to breed them. I don't know about the subspecies in Utah, but I know that you can trap them for fur here--at least last I looked. Which means you could maybe get a variance to get them in Utah.

They are almost identical to swift foxes though. They are different species though. I was told I would have trouble owning a swift in Utah since it would be hard for me to prove to the department it was not actually a kit fox. I imagine they act a lot if not identical to swifts, but that is just my guess.

It would be interesting to hear about the Mexico laws. The problem there is that you would have to find an exporter who would be in the know about those sort of things who could actually ship you one.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 am

That was my thought, but I wonder if TG is right and no states will allow trapping except for fur purposes. I don't know, as I think it would be a state-by-state basis. I'm not too interested in it, at least not for now. Just curious about it. I think that Kits would be great to be able to keep and would make a great addition to the pet fox circles, but I imagine they are just as hard to breed as other foxes and I have no experiences with foxes at all yet. I'd want a minimum of a few years with some of the other species before considering a task like that. (And to be out of vet school! :lol: ) Maybe in a few years, though, I'll be up for the challenge! We'll see where my life takes me.

Actually, in the last few years they've been separated with molecular genetics, it's a pretty distinct separation as well. You could definitely prove by DNA that a Swift is not a Kit and vice versa. But, I agree, it's probably pretty similar personality wise to Swifts considering how similar Swifts are to Corsacs and those two aren't as related genetically.

I have no idea how to find anyone who knows about importing from Mexico. I'd imagine it's possible but that's partially why I asked if anyone had found anything more or not. :mrgreen:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Yeah, the states don't allow them to be wild-caught in their laws. You would have to look for a state that specifically had a law that allowed someone to be granted a variance. A variance is just that: a particular instance in which you are legally allowed to vary/deviate from the written law.

Your request goes to a committee, then to the wildlife board meeting. So you could then be granted a variance which would allow live-capture and possession if they deemed it okay. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do with a "high-profile" mammal like that though. But they're not endangered here in UT.

I know Utah allows for variances, but I'm not certain about the other states that were mentioned.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:51 pm

I'll keep that in mind if it is something that's on my radar in a few years. I'm sure that certain things would aid in getting a variance, like having other foxes or a USDA or something that else that shows determination and commitment. I imagine there's also some purposes that would be easier to obtain wild-caught animals for, like education and such.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes