PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Grey Fox (:

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grey Fox (:

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi, Lexi! :) I'm very happy you hopped on here and posted about your gray fox. We have so much info on reds, fennecs, also lots on arctics, but not so much on grays. For some reason, they aren't as popular--probably because they don't come in a vast array of colors. But many people have said they can be good house pets. And then others say they aren't. But the male wrap is probably why you have a much easier time keeping him indoors, lol. Not a bad suggestion for current/future owners to consider. :)

I like the marshmallow idea to get him to like strangers. I may try that with my next fox kit, but would probably use something else as a treat, lol. To me, marshmallows are like the "epitome" of fox treats. I gave my red fox Fable some before, and he LOVED them. But he hasn't had them in a few years. Ifrit has never tasted one, so I know she will go absolutely nuts the first time I give her one--she'll eat anything and probably find its squishiness interesting, heehee.

You should make a post about your gray! We would love to hear more about him specifically. He sounds like quite a little charmer. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Irophia

Postby Irophia » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:34 pm

We have a Grey! I would agree to Ralph, you get out what you put in. Ours free reigns the house and we will off leash in the winter time outside with the dogs, but the spring there is a leash in play. They are suppose to be climber, ours does not...except up to nap on the couch with the coonhound and groom each other. In the evening when the skunk comes out from her napping place the two of them play together. Ours uses the literbox with the cat 90% in the box, 10% right outside the rim. I feel mine is the exception to the norm, but I honestly could not be happier. I have studied in animal behavior and freelance teaching at colleges here and there...so again, I emphasize the idea of what you want, you have to give and put in first. You can PM for more info if you want. I would be happy to answer anything in particular for you.
JustBob

Postby JustBob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:06 am

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker :icon-wink: I am on the Hillview list for a gray fox next spring (first on the list!). I was curious if Ralph ever got back with anyone on the distemper vaccine issue. I found a vet nearby who currently sees a red fox, but I think I would be his first with a gray. So, any information might be helpful.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:18 pm

RECOMBITEK® rDistemper uses a modified canary pox to deliver DNA from the distemper virus so they can not get distemper from the vaccine.

You do not want to give them a recombination that uses the modified Adenoviruses to deliver the DNA as there's a chance of them getting Adenoviruses which doesn't affect dogs but can some fox species like fennecs, kit foxes and I think gray, red seem to be fine though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 am

I always have heard and read that grays should not be vaccinated against distemper, so I would definitely avoid that if it were me. But the Recombitek mentioned sounds great since can't actually give the fox anything bad.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”