PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Questions?

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Minty

Fennec Questions?

Postby Minty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:27 pm

I plan on one day owning a fennec fox, although I will probably be unable to within the next 2-3years, I have done extensive research, and I'm left with only three questions at the moment.

1.How much does a fennec eat per a day? I know some feeding options, but if theres anything suggested that you've had success with, or hear is good, I'd love to hear that as well. (I will need to know actual amounts however, as I can't find them anywhere else and its information the permit requires you to know in Florida)

2. In Florida, they require a cage thats 4'x6' and 4' high. Although if it has the same amount of space that would provide and does not inhibit locomotion it can be in different dimensions. I'm thinking about combining 2 XL dog crates to achieve this, with one tilted on its side so it would have almost a sort of an L shape. Excuse this crappy diagram, I drew it in about a minute using a laptop :roll: http://i66.tinypic.com/25re8ep_th.png
One of the cages would have levels in it similar to a ferret nation cage, which I would of otherwise used but is far too small to meet requirements of Florida.

3.When purchasing a fox, I know you should try to get a young one, the younger the better, but what would be a good age? 7 weeks?

Thank you so much for your time! I hope I followed all rules as this is my first post.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Questions?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:30 pm

The problem with the crate idea is wire spacing. You can't trust anything over an inch. 2" wide opening and a fennec can walk right out. Most crates and ex-pens are 1.5" a fully adult might not escape but they could possibly get their head stuck and even so a youngster would walk right out. So you could use crates but will have to wrap them in wire.

I have a cage made of ex-pens so is 4'x4'x6', two 4x4x3h ex-pens stacked with zip ties and shelves(was for the anteaters but they no longer use it) but wont work as is for a fennec. So I decided to just rebuild it instead as I'd like it to be nicer than a cage wrapped in more wire caging. Here's what I settled on viewtopic.php?f=110&t=12915

PS fennecs like height so 4x4x6 is preferred over 4x6x4.

Most are sold 8-10 weeks but younger is NOT better with fennecs. They must be weaned first. It is too easy for a novice to kill them with a bottle even experienced breeders find them tricky.

Food around 3/4's of a cup twice a day.
Minty

Postby Minty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:56 am

Thank you so much :) I will lookinto the wire spacing, this was very helpful
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 am

you could also construct any type of cage, then put another layer of small mesh wire over it:
http://sf1pk.sell.nccecojustice.org/iz5 ... nce-images
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Minty

Postby Minty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Image Would this work do you think? Or too big of a grate? I'm trying to find something to avoid making my own, but everything seems to have too big a grate.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:25 am

That'll be fine for adult, spacing wise, since it's square. The spacing is 1.5" but being square makes it safe. The problem with the crates is it's like 1.5x4 or more Mine's 1.5x6 so they can squeeze through due to the width.

Those but black are what I'm going to use for mine but with the shelves inside for more support. Most pet sites call them C&C panels though I don't know why. They are called grid wire shelving panels.

You'll need something for shelves in that of course, the spacing is too big for walking on.

The connectors they come with also wont work as they come apart too easy. Heavy duty zip ties work great and if you go high they need some extra support. I used them for my bunny cage before and they aren't sturdy on their own just zip tied. I mean it's wobbly.
Minty

Postby Minty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:02 pm

So an adult fennec wouldn't be able to fit its head through the gap in a wire storage cube type pen? (I just hear they are super hyper and spazzy so I just want to be sure to minimize risk as much as possible)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:45 pm

According to one skull site a fennec skull has a zygomatic width of 1.73"-1.90" add some flesh and skin to that and it's a bit wider, so they wont get their head through a 1.5x1.5 hole. The regular storage cube spacing is 1.5x1.5 so fine. I have seen some other grid wire shelves that were bigger panels but they also had bigger holes which was disappointing as they would have been sturdier.

Though another site is selling a Fennec skull with a size of 3.5" but they don't say what "size" means. Assuming it's also zygomatic arch that's a decent size difference. Maybe the first site had younger skulls. But seems a good idea to err on the small side and assume the head of a Fennec being about 2" wide. So any caging less than 2" spacing should work.

There's a chance if really deterined they could pop their head through a 1.5x2" hole, that's why for any rectangular spacing it would need to be 1" max for the length of the holes to not matter. That's how the ferret nations are 1" for how ever long(4"?).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:01 pm

And This looks like the shelving panles was used here

Yep it is

I have white and black myself already but want all black so will have to buy some more.

Here they just over lapped to fit the cage size they wanted but I'm planning to cut mine for a nicer look

Edit: okay one more
Minty

Postby Minty » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:52 pm

So cute! As well as a great size comparison. By the way, they are called C&C panels because the type of cages they are generally used to make are called "cube and coroplast" Very popular in the guinea pig community. Also, coroplast is corrugated plastic. So like plastic cardboard that's good for lining cages? Hmm. I learn something new everyday. (If you already knew this then I'm sorry, I don't want to sound like a know it all, just found this interesting :mrgreen: )
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:22 am

That makes sense I might have known that and just forgot. I first encountered the term when my dad went to get some corrugated boxed for a project, which is like packing boxes. Plain cardboard is flat like stings come sold in.

Question? "Although if it has the same amount of space that would provide and does not inhibit locomotion it can be in different dimensions."

Would that include all floor space like shelves. Because if you add all the levels in mine it'd be equivalent to a 14'x4'. So if all floor space counts then that would make for more flexible building plans for you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:03 am

Okay so just for the record the one site size previous that was 3" was length. Here's the whole head run down on size from skulls unlimited and then averaged with the numbers above for a range.
Skull Width: 1.73"-1.9"
Skull Height: 1.46"-1.6"
Skull Length: 3"-3.4"
Minty

Postby Minty » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Thank you for the numbers, also I'm not sure that platforms count, as its already required that there be enough "ledges" in the cage to accommodate each animal simultaneously. :shrug: The Florida Fish and Wildlife commission can be reached at 850-488-6253 , I may call and ask later. Although upon doing more research, I think a Grey fox might be more suitable. Hmm. Plenty of time to think and research though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm not in FL so I can do what I want. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I can see their excluding platforms but maybe whole other levels would count, where you have the same floor space as the ground level and then a ramp up into it. But I could see them maybe wanting it all one whole space for running or something too.
Minty

Postby Minty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:21 am

Since the measurements aren't sqft, and its in cubic feet, I will assume that levels won't add. Do you know the best age to get a Grey fox kit at? From what I see, people say 5-6, yet everyone here says Mandy is the very best breeder, and her kits go out at 8-10? Sorry for all the questions >_<

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”