PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Questions?

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Questions?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 am

I don't know much about grays but can hypothosize. People say reds are 5-6 because they want to bottle feed for a bond. Fennecs are 8-10. The reason fennecs are longer is they are supper hard to bottle feed so must be sold weaned and being so small the stress of the transfer is much harder on them so older is safer. I don't think you need to bottle foxes yourself for a bond(long as the breeder does bottle them) and it is safer to get them weaned. Also think the smaller the species the riskier it is and grays are smaller than reds.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:15 pm

I didn't bottle feed my red when I got him, and we bonded great. :) It's not necessary. But some like the experience. By that age reds at least are pretty hardy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I got mine at 8 weeks, so I obviously didn't, but I couldn't imagine a better bond with him(:
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Minty

Postby Minty » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for all those replies! Now I'm just left wondering about neutering/spaying. For Fennecs is it really that risky? I mean, I guess it just seems sort of worrisome to me after hearing about Eevee the fennec, and Pat's raccoon. :shrug: I don't know, its just so horrible to lose a furry family member over something like that.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:07 am

The risk is real but not huge especially if the vet is experienced with surgery on exotics. Like even rabbits are more at risk from anesthesia than regular domestics if the vet isn't experienced. A member, who is rarely here any more, lost her young goat to anesthesia last year even so it's seemed bad for that lately but the vast majority of animals actually do fine. Things that lessen the risk, blood panel first, heat to keep from hypothermia, and IV fluids before and during.

But it's really not needed for single fennecs. There's not a big difference but if you keep a male and a female as pets you will be better off neutering the male. The females hormones drive the male fennec. When she cycles into season the males testes swell and hormones surge, but alone the males don't seem to go seasonal like that, it's a reaction to the females hormones. There was even a study into that with fennecs. The video I put in my care sheet isn't the only one like that but all like that were house with females and intact. Kicking, puffing up, marking something 50 times a minute, etc.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”