PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How does one obtain a an exotic pet license?

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amine9876

How does one obtain a an exotic pet license?

Postby amine9876 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 am

So I've done extensive research about its legality, I have the owner's guide and am well versed in their details and I've been searching for a Fennec fox breeder in Ontario for almost 3 years. They originate from my country and I've loved them since I was a little kid (I'm Algerian/French).

So I finally found a breeder but said breeder is partly reluctant in selling by going by the bylaws of my city which vaguely states "foxes" as illegal but doesn't specify which species, it does specify every other canine specie also illegal but foxes just says fox, when you look up Fennecs on the CITES list of endangered animals, vulpes vulpes which is the red fox, as well as the arctic and grey fox are all illegal to buy, sell, trade, breed, import or export, but the fennec isn't listed (vulpes zerda). Furthermore, the laws of Ontario as a province (provincial law) doesn't prohibit fennec foxes as pets, as other provinces strictly and evidently say so. I am still on their list waiting for a kit but just wondering what would be the things needed for someone in my situation?

I am a musician, a producer and a supreme hippie and am writing a book on the effect sound (music) and crystals have on plants' growth and animal behavior, namely the domestication of an exotic pet (I am getting a dog as well).

I just want to know what would be the best way to get a license or registrations/legal defense for living purposes/landlord concerns and city regulations to not have him taken away when I get him?

So far I refer to this:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/97f41#BK131

and this:

ONTARIO

Are foxes legal ➝ YES (only non-native "exotic" species that are not endangered).
Person contacted on this matter ➝ KATHY KIRKLAND, Captivity Biologist of Laws.
Contact (email/phone) ➝ Kathy.Kirkland@ontario.ca / (416) 338-7297
Excerpts of our conversation ➝ « You may purchase and keep a non-native species of fox as a pet in Ontario. There is no provincial permit or license required for the keeping of non-native species as pets; however some municipalities prohibit ownership of foxes and other species as pets. »

« It is unlawful to keep the three species of fox native to Ontario as pets, as they are designated as specially protected wildlife under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997. This includes Arctic Fox (Alopex lagopus), Grey Fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus) and Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes). »

Laws (Wildlife Preservation + Municipalities Act) ➝ http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW ... 68424.html

I want you to know that I have found a veterinary who obviously won't report a life long client, as I am determined to procure one by any means necessary, and I know the means, I just prefer to buy from a professional breeder from a legitimate and reputable company.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How does one obtain a an exotic pet license?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 am

If your city law just says fox without defining it then it means all fox species. You would have to go before the city board and ask for special permission to have one.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How does one obtain a an exotic pet license?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 am

I want you to know that I have found a veterinary who obviously won't report a life long client, as I am determined to procure one by any means necessary, and I know the means, I just prefer to buy from a professional breeder from a legitimate and reputable company.

That doesn't mean no one will turn you in. People have had their best friends turn on them after a tiff and turn them in. Meter reader hears it squeal and turns you in, Someone had their animals taken after calling police about a robbery, have an emergency, emts could turn you in. It's not about you it's about the animals well being, even if it's not killed it will be sent to a zoo where it will be depressed and likely not do well since it will be so vastly different from how it was raised.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”