PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fennec Fox Vaccinations

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

lilah202

Fennec Fox Vaccinations

Postby lilah202 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:20 am

Hello! I am not too sure how to use this site so forgive me if I am not supposed to create a new topic!
Anyways, I will be picking up my fennec kit June 23. She will be just about 8 weeks. I wanted to confirm what type of shots fennecs need? I plan on getting her vaccinated against rabies, parvo, and distemper at around 10-11 weeks. The vaccinations can get a bit confusing and I know you should never give a fennec live vaccines and distemper and parvo shots must be individual and spaced. So my question is specifically what type of the above vaccines are safe to give fennec foxes so I know what the correct route to take is?

Thank you!
1 long haired dachshund
1 long haired chihuahua
2 King Charles cavaliers
1 German shepherd
3 Horses
1 cat
1 leucistic axolotl
1 dwarf lion head rabbit
1 fennec fox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fennec Fox Vaccinations

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 am

RECOMBITEK® rDistemper
Imrab 3

Parvo: Ideally you want to give killed or reccombinant but there is none of either being made right now so most use RECOMBITEK or Galxay for parvo right now, they are modified live. Parvo and FPV(feline parvo) are very closely related though and there is a Recombinant FPV so would likely give protection to both(there is also a fox species specific parvo that of course there is no vaccine for but either would likely protect to it as well), a possibility to discus with the vet maybe, or just go with Galaxy since it's what most do. It's just there is some risk they could get it from a Modified Live shot, though I've not heard of it happening yet. They have gotten distemper from mod live distemper vaccines and adeno virus from mod live in a combo shot.

Don't give combo shots to fennecs.

One breeder suggests giving half dose due to size the first year.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue May 24, 2016 10:38 am

That's some good advice above. I just wanted to add that sometimes people say an animal kept solely indoors (fennecs love an outdoor pen, but if you do not have one for example) don't need rabies shots. Rabies dies quickly outside of its host, so it isn't generally carried around on clothing, shoes, ect. In this case, you may be able to avoid a rabies shot (vaccinations can lead to cancer at the injection site) and just go for distemper, which can be carried easily indoors.

I'm not sure how the laws work where you live or anything like that, just thought I would add that in. : )
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 25, 2016 12:06 am

TG, do you recommend vaccinating against rabies then?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 25, 2016 12:46 am

I think it's a good idea to vaccinate against rabies. It makes people more comfortable if nothing else. If it does nip someone you can reassure them that it's been vaccinated and they will be less likely to go to a Dr or report it themselves. One time someone got bit by one of the petting zoo goats and he started freaking out he was going to get aids from the goat, and he was serious. It took a lot to convince him goats don't have aids. I was just glad he didn't think of rabies as he could have gotten the goat killed and tested over his own stupidity of putting his finger in the young goats mouth. So should someone turn stupid on you reassuring them it can't have rabies because it's vaccinated might be enough. They likely wont know enough to check that officially it's not approved.

Also sometimes the state vet is given leeway to decide the animal's fate and in that case a vaccine might just help save them and sway the vet to quarantine instead, since the odds it will have rabies is smaller, though that's not the most common out come, best to build the odds in your favor.

Now if the fox of any species is kept outside then I'd more highly recommend it as it's not impossible for, say, a rabid bat or something to get into the cage, heck we learned from their being a proven rabid chicken recently that, though rare, even birds could have it, rodents and rabbits too, though also rare not as rare as birds, So should your fox be acting weird one day and then bite you it'd be nice to be able to reassure yourself as well as the stupid people. The odds are pretty good that even an unvaccinated captive fox wont get it but again it's not impossible. Even if you live in town because bats and urban wildlife but the more rural the higher the risk though not great. I just think of the case of a captive bear from a exhibitor/park that attended a party then tested positive for rabies and everyone at the party needed vaccinated. Captive does not mean 100% safe. Fennec kept strictly in side a house not infested with mice or something is nearly 100% compared to critters kept outside or partly outside but the vaccine still helps protect against stupid people ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks. And that makes perfect sense. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu May 26, 2016 5:05 pm

I guess that's true. : )

Better to be safe than sorry when someone gets nipped. I hear bats are the number one cause of rabies in America and we have had plenty of them come in through the attic into our house. We always catch them with a blanket or thick leather gloves in order to release them outside.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”