PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Ikigai

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Ikigai

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Jake will go out in the rain and get soaked and play in puddles but if you flick a drop of water on him he runs off so that was going to be my plan but since he's only tried a couple times last night since he was locked in only at night this time, I let Beaker chase him out.

I had to switch the blankets in the cat tree because Ikigai could still smell the cat.

We need to cat proof the yard first but maybe a walkway or just a high platform would help once we do so he can see out but not get out.

Beaker was interested in Ikigai when I brought him home and they sniffed through the crate but then he saw how he darts around and the squeaks and screams and he's not cool with that. If Ikigai would sniff butts like a normal dog then maybe, lol. Beaker is putting up with him now though rather than running off most of the time.

Got a bunch of snobby animals The anteaters wont play with Beaker but he wants them too, Beaker wont play with the fennec but he'd like him too. I don't know what Jake cat wants but neither of the canidae like him, lol. Beaker used to play with him but he's scared of the claws now.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Geez, I thought I had weird animals :lol: You got me beat with Jake :lol:
that is odd about the water though.

do you think Ikigai will eventually calm down? I don't know much at all about fennecs, except what you tell me.
Poor Ikigai, he was even afraid of the cat's smell. How old is Jake? Maybe OD him a little on catnip :lol:

If only can get Ikigai to snif Beaker's butt, maybe they will become friends. :lol:

you should get Beaker a puppy :lol: then if Ikigai get bored, get him a baby fennec or 2
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Jake is about 8.

Well fennecs calm down some with age but they are naturally quick moving and flighty so he'll always be like that.

Another dog would probably help Beaker and a puppy would grow up to like Ikigai since would be raised with them. Beaker was better when we had Hyzzie but don't think I can/will get another for awhile.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:02 pm

About how many hours a day does Ikigai sleep?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Ana wrote:About how many hours a day does Ikigai sleep?

Hard to say at first he would play for about and hour then sleep for three now he's both awake and asleep longer but he's probably awake more than 1/4th of the time but not all at once. He plays on and off when I'm sleeping and plays in the morning then sleeps then is up more later. It's effected by what I'm doing too or if there's scary cats around or noises.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 pm

So if you ever get a fennec kit and wonder if these big bony wrist bumps are normal or not, I have verified it is in fact normal.
ImageFennec Wrist Bumps by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
It just looks so weird and doesn't show up well in most photos

Watching the neighbors unload firewood
ImageWatching the Neighbors Unload firewood by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Bra thief https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=946lZ4lWonM
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 am

Opps, didn't notice Jake come in my room and felt feet on my legs. He jumped up onto the cat walk. All was quiet awhile then I heard what sounded like Aurora snoring then barks, so that wasn't Aurora but Ikigai growling, well that doesn't sound scary at all, lol. So I chased Jake out. I think Ikigai thinks he scared him off as once he verified the cat was gone he went to eat and play with his ball track though he stops to check for cats periodically.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

I love all of Ikigai pictures and of course videos. The picture of him sitting at the window is adorable.
I didn't notice the black on the top of tail till I seen one of the videos.. do all fennecs have this?

Your Beaker's color and marking is almost like Lucy's (my beagle) (except for a few alterations :lol: )

do you have one of those electronic picture frame
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=f ... 8=&veh=sem

I have two of them, but,need to add more pictures, and some videos. I have tons of pictures, and have been wanting to frame and hang.

However, you can probably fill up your room with that, or your house :lol:

your pictures and video are so nice, as always.

I think Jake in time will get use to Ikigai.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pm

I never noticed those bumps before on fennecs' legs. Is it just bone?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 pm

It's the bone of the wrist joint. Maybe somehow that odd anatomy helps with digging? It becomes less noticeable with age but how much varies some by how their feet are, I was told. Pointing strait and it fades more than if they were off center a bit. I just kept looking at those things and finding it odd though did figure the odds were good it was a normal fennec thing but it just looks so weird so finally had to ask someone.

Thank you, Pat. That one came out great. I may use it for the new sig to add him into it soon. I don't have a digital frame. They do seem neat though. Never thought about them doing video too, that's interesting.

Yeah all fennecs have black where the violet gland is at the top and then the black tip.
hecate

Postby hecate » Tue May 02, 2017 9:08 am

Those should smooth out when he finishes growing and the epiphyses close.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 04, 2017 12:12 am

hecate wrote:Those should smooth out when he finishes growing and the epiphyses close.

That makes sense

Vulpes do have a vomeronasal organ(Jacobson's Organ). Here Ikigai tastes the air because I had the window open for the first time.

ImageFennec Fox Tasting the Air by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

He looks derpy
ImageFennec Fox Tasting the Air by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

ImageSuper model Cute Fennec Pose by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Oh and he whistled at Jake tonight, but just the once so I didn't get it recorded.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 04, 2017 2:40 pm

I didn't realize they had a Jacobsen's Organ. I want to research into that more, since that's just cool. I always thought it was a reptile thing.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Being a mammal person I knew about it from cats. They detect pheromones with it mainly so is obviously used in detecting mates and if they are available. Some species can tell if a new animal they meet is a relative from it, even if they never met before, but I forget which one. And prey species use it to detect the pheromones of predators. Obviously in reptiles they also use it to detect prey.

Mammal species all look pretty silly using it (flehmen response)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 06, 2017 1:30 pm

New blog. I postdated it for the 28th and will probably get caught up today or tomorrow

http://tiny-foxes.com/Blog/2017/04/28/s ... e-growing/

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”