PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Ikigai

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Ikigai

Postby Ash » Sat May 06, 2017 5:01 pm

So teensy he is!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat May 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Is there teething? Are you being teethed upon? :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Not having any biting issues. He is gentle with his play biting. There was just one day he actually play growled and was biting harder but it still wasn't hard hard, maybe in part due to size. But maybe is some teething with his sometimes wanting to nom something harder like the cat tree wood. Sure hope when he does loose baby teeth I get to find some of the.

So much excitement last night. Aurora had part of a shelf collapse on her so I had to get up and fix it with the electric drill. This caused Beaker to get excited and bark at Aurora for being a lard butt trouble maker and Ikigai got excited from the noise and was running around all excited.

So tucked Beaker in and played with Iki but then Aurora wanted to come down the cat tree but I have under the bed blocked. I thought I'd be nice and unblock it but she never came back. I figured would be fine since the box spring was sealed up with the sheet.

Well Ikigai found a flaw in that the mattress at the end isn't held by the frame so the sheet wasn't blocking that clawed end. So fished him out and under the bed is blocked again. I guess I'll have to staple that end of the sheet to the box spring. Hmm or could just go full redneck and use duct tape.

The problem is he likes under the bed so much he'll stay there and only come out when starving gulp some food and go back. I blame the short time I let him do this before for his no longer sleeping on me. Now he sleeps in the window or in his hammock. I'm sure that was an eventual change anyway but it might have lasted longer if he hadn't found his independence under the bed. They are sensitive critters.

He still likes to play and hang out with me but when he sleeps he finds one of his safe places and sleeps there instead.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Ash wrote:I didn't realize they had a Jacobsen's Organ. I want to research into that more, since that's just cool. I always thought it was a reptile thing.

I also found this
The VNO orifice in Iranian grey fox has a mucosal valve. Its length was 17.46 0.33 mm, and its diameter was 0.2–0.25 mm in
beginning portion. It was beginning 3.16 0.28 mm back of incisive teeth and cranially to first palatine ridge (Karimi et al., 2011)

It's possible they mean Cana's since their name means gray(a close relative of fennecs)

And
Since someone asked how much Ikigai fennec poops but I forgot where. Here is about 24hrs worth of fennec poop. Around a couple rounded tablespoons worth I guess since I didn't put anything for size reference. Variety of poo is due to variety in diet mostly ground rabbit with bone, insects and some veggies and he had some raspberry too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Well the one night I opened up under the bed reminded him of it's glorious existence and he became determined to get under there. First he just had to go down to the end and slip under so I blocked it up with pillows. He managed to get past those. I crammed them in harder but he got in there again. So I moved m tool box there. It made him nervous so he has not tested it so far just looked and retreated a few times.

I ordered him a harness off amazon but didn't read the fine print so it is taking its sweet time getting her from Ireland. I attempted to put a shirt on him today for fun and practice. He happily stuck his head into it but then didn't like that being around his neck. He then was "laughing" the same as when he humps me as he wrestled to try and get it off, lol. So guess he thought it was some weird game.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 am

Mary,
do you think a thin collar to start with would ready Ikigai with a harness?
love the updated pictures. the one with Ikigai at your computer, you should have had sybls message board on the screen :lol:

I was surprised to read Ikigai was humping already. :lol: are you still getting another fennec? breed them?
I know you mentioned about getting a couple fennecs.

Ikigai is so darn cute.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

A collar might work. I just got a H style rat harness for him but had to remove buckles and add clips. A collar might be a good idea though so he could get used to that part then the rest after. Baby steps instead of all at once.

I haven't put and kept a collar on him because the reason would have been to keep a bell on him but he liked his bell balls so I didn't want to confuse him or bug him with a bell attached to him. Plus she still just stays in this part of my room anyway.

I'd like to get another but I'll have to wait and see how things go.

---

He got his first chick last night and loved it but he up chucked. Maybe was just too much or he's still a bit young and can try when he's older and maybe even grit my teeth and chop it in half first so it's not as much. Think maybe the chick fuzz caused the issue,but I'm not keen on trying to skin one, gross.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 14, 2017 4:01 am

oops he didn't eat it he had it hidden. He just ate the feet off. I'm also not entirely sure what I found was upchuck or just some of his food laying there but there was some chick fuzz in it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Didn't get his blog caught up yet but did get the anteater blog caught up now that I have the working keyboard.

Here is a video of Ikigai answering the phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VhpN7mRhCI
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Dude needs to stop using my face as a trampoline or I'm gonna have to burrito him and file his nails, or get him those cat claw covers. Can't go around looking like I've been in a cat fight, with actual cats.
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Like tiny little pins. I've got red lines ALL over from baby claws! :lol:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Haha. Does he just spring off your face? I'm sorry, but it sounds cute. :P
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah my parkour fennec he hits me and keeps going. If I'm sitting up more then he hits my back and bounces off and he'll do that repeatedly then or sometimes continue up and stand on my shoulder for a bit. Sometimes if he's riled up he bounces off whatever of me he can hit when laying down at night.

Here he is using some of that energy on the curtain and his tail before bed. He likes to get riled up right at bedtime so I try to wear him down some with the cat teaser most nights now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ydTpgGxa1A

Ana wrote:Like tiny little pins. I've got red lines ALL over from baby claws! :lol:

Yeah his tiny claws don't have much there that isn't pink so that would make doing anything to them a bit hard on top of holding him still. Just gotta keep my face out of his path when he's riled up.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Gad need to get his blog updated. I swear when ever I try it's like a spell is cast to send stuff at me to get in the way.

He's doing great though.

Snot started refusing his rabbit dinners though. Was worried but he's happily eating chicks from the same freezer incident. So tried serving without his insect mix in it, except a pinch of ants, he eats better with a pinch of ants to spice it up, and he eats great. He usually gets a mix of dried mealworms, phoenix worms, and silkworm pupae. If I had to guess it's the silkworm cuz that's stinky but he liked them before.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 pm

So I think maybe rubbing his rump is sort of ticklish. He sort of half growls half laughs when I do it like a deep laugh but will stick his butt to my hand again when I stop. He had enough last night I guess though as I touched his but and he "spit" at me so I stopped instantly. Well, he went digging at my arm when I was trying to sleep so I did an awful imitation of his spitting noise and it worked like a charm to stop him :)

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”