PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Inari and Kitsune

For species less common than reds and arctics.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Elina

Inari and Kitsune

Postby Elina » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I would like to present to you all Inari and Kitsune the Fennec foxes!

We finally got them on Friday after much thought, consideration and waiting. They are settling in really well but I have not let them meet Harry and Elspeth yet, I want to do that when they are more confident.

Inari (the male) is much smaller then Kitsune even though he is meant to be older, he is also much more confident around me.

Kitsune is quite nervous around us and I am a bit concerned about her as she has various issues such as her front paws claws have been cut so short that the quick is right at the end of them, it looks like the quick has been cut, you can touch it. . .
Her elbows and such are red and bare of fur :icon-frown: .
She also has her winter coat on but IS shedding it. . Harry and Elspeth are growing their winter coat back now. . .

I shall be taking her to the vets on Tuesday as Monday is a bank holiday so nowhere is open, hope she is 100% okay. Hey even if she is not I am sure with some TLC and such she will be just fine. icon_biggin.gif

Inari:

Kitsune:

When we first got home:

On the way home in the crate from the broker:
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Lasergrl

Re: Inari and Kitsune

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:09 pm

neat. Now you can tell us the differences in personality and behavior. The male looks younger in the one picture but then they look the same in the next, in fact they look like littermates. They are unrelated right?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Sounds like damage done from incessantly digging at a hard/rough floor(the nails and arm fur).
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Awwe, they're so cute; congratulations again! icon_biggin.gif haha..
And I like the names. ^_^ Doesn't Kitsune mean fox in something, and isn't Inari like the..queen of the good side of foxes or something like that? (I vaguely read about it in some comic someone sent me...Haha.) icon-smile
Oh, and I hope she turns out alright..
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Lasergrl wrote:neat. Now you can tell us the differences in personality and behavior. The male looks younger in the one picture but then they look the same in the next, in fact they look like littermates. They are unrelated right?

Yes they are totally unrelated, even from different breeders.

It is so odd how they act next to how Harry and Elspeth act; I mean if I pick Harry or Elspeth up they wiggle at first untill they are how they like to be held but with Inari and Kitsune they go all floppy like when you pick up a rabbit.
They also talk a different language but their body language is more or less the same when they play with each other which I found to be interesting.

Harry knows there is another animal they is getting some of my time so he has been rubbing himself all over me. . . Followed by Sprite doing the same as she is. . .Well confused hehe! Harry and Elspeth have had a sniff under the door to the Inari and Kitsune's bedroom and did not seem overly fussed.

Thus far the Fennecs have not made a noise bar when I first opened the crate from the broker where they were growling which actually sounds like a cat purring.

They are eating okay and like Harry and Elspeth ofcoarse not really drinking as they get their liquid from their food (I always leave water for them as I do for Harry and Elspeth.).

Sounds like damage done from incessantly digging at a hard/rough floor(the nails and arm fur).

I had not thought of that! She has not dug at all since she has been home but non the less this very well may be the cause of it. I tried to take a photo of her paws but the camera cannot focus so close it would seem.

Awwe, they're so cute; congratulations again! haha..
And I like the names. ^_^ Doesn't Kitsune mean fox in something, and isn't Inari like the..queen of the good side of foxes or something like that? (I vaguely read about it in some comic someone sent me...Haha.)

Kitsune are Japanese fox-spirits. They are said to be able to take the form of a charming woman and a fox-form. They are ageless, being spirits, however, they are not immortal; they can live a life span of 900 years and gain a new tail for each hundred years, living up to a life that obtains 9 tails.

Inari is a Japanese God who uses foxes as messengers.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:49 am

Congratulations! I am sure they are happ to have found such a good home!
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 am

congratulations, they are just soooooooooooo adorable.

I love the ears.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
xiki

Postby xiki » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 am

They are adorable!! icon-smile

Where have you bought it?? I bought my male in Spain but the female was from Holand. There are breeders in UK??
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Last night I gave Inari and Kitsune a bath as they really needed it and it was amazing how easy it was!
Unlike Harry and Elspeth they really did not like having a bath but as they are so small it was fast and easy. I thought I would get it over and done with early in our relationship as firstly as I said above they REALLY needed it and secondly while shampooing them it gave me a chance to fully check them over.

While doing this check on Kitsune (female) I noticed that she has very pronounced nipples, she is 18 months old and I wondered if this is normal on fennecs? Elspeth just has tiny bumps where hers are but Kitsunes stick out a fair way. I have looked on the net but can find nothing about how they normally should look so if anyone knows that would be great.

After we towled them off my partner and I took them into our bedroom with a hot water bottle each and sat with a hot water bottle each on our knees and then a fennec atop of that. They both seemed to really like the heat as it was then 3am and seeing as we live in an old house it was quite cold.

When my partner and I decided to actually go to sleep and we put them in their sleeping crate Inari sorted out the blankets for both of them and then lay down which was cute. I had put a water bottle in with them but they seem to have not noticed it was the water bottle and not me that was warming them up and so totally avoided it.

I must say it is so funny to see them eat. Harry and Elspeth go for meat normally over the veggies unless it is curly kale or basil (herb I know but they eat it like it is going out of fashion). Inari and Kitsune go for the veggies over everything else and wolf it down. Thus far Kitsune though the bigger of the two has always gone to take food second where with Harry and Elspeth it is always Elspeth who goes first.

Here is a photo of Kitsune, you can see that on her nose is a red dot. She is not bleeding nor has she in the time we have had her, it seems to be a scar. In the top one you can see that her nails are short, they do not look as bad as on Friday as they seem to be growing quite fast.

Xiki I got them from a broker in the UK but I believe he imported them when they were younger. They are now 18 and 24 months of age. I do not know of any breeders of Fennecs in the UK but I do know another person who has a pair (he got his male the same day I got my pair).
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm

My female is 5 and has no noticeable nipples. I would say yours has had kits or will.
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 pm

She has a really round tummy and is skin and bones everywhere else. . . Was thinking maybe she is in heat (nipples) and has worms (tummy) OR she is expecting. I have not yet treated her for worms as I want the vet to check her out first, if she is expecting I do not want to do anything wrong. Would it be bad to deworm her if she is expecting?

I hope in many ways that she is not expecting as I do not imagine that moving house, getting a new mate and all the stress from that would be at all good for her general well being. . .

We shall see what happens. . .
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm

I would lean to her being pregnant too, though I've no physical experience with them. I've seen owners post photos of their pregnant fennecs as they go along and the nipples begin to show later. The vet should be able to say for sure.

You may need to pull them right away due to the circumstances. They are really bad about eating their kits if stressed and being wild(I assume?) imports that will make it even worse.
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm

They are not wild caught, just broker raised so not played with much etc.

I tried to get a photo of her tummy tonight but failed miserably, so I shall just wait until the vet has seen her as I don't want to wig her out. Any idea if the photos you saw are still on the net Mary and if so where?

Anyone got any experience of raising Fennec kits and can advise me of what to do (if it is what we are thinking)? I have read up on reds and talked to a zoo keeper about Corsacs and have a guide for them but I thought I would have more time to prep for Fennecs. I have only read one guide for bottle feeding them and that was a while ago and the link no longer works.

I would have prior to now thought that a broker would keep females with females and males with males to avoid this sort of thing... If this is what we think it is.
BB

Postby BB » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm glad you finally got your foxes - and maybe more than you bargained for... :lol: :shock: Can't wait what the vet has to say!
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:32 pm

They are SO CUTE. If we find some way to weaponize that, it'll end all wars.

Return to “Fennecs, Swift, Corsac, Gray and other rare foxes”