PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Anyone else worried about the new findings on grain-free food??

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

DeweysMom

Anyone else worried about the new findings on grain-free food??

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am

Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else worried about the new findings on grain-free food??

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Not really but I've always avoided using a food that uses a high amount of peas or lentils and didn't buy from companies that couldn'r supply a full nutritional break down.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=14545
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Sorry, Mary - I didn't realize this topic had already been addressed. If you wish to delete mine, please feel free to.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:11 pm

No that's fine, maybe this is easier to find. I just wanted to point to our earlier discussion of it. It's important info. But I'm not worried really. I think the main this is to mostly avoid the ingredients listed and if doing home made make sure they get the right balance of organs and suck to get enough taurine.

The main take aways seem to be that peas, lentils and potatoes can inhibit taurine use(with some other ingredients being implicated as well, like duck and lamb due to being lower in taurine) and that some companies do not provide what they claim. When I was researching safe kibbles for fennecs it was surprising how many companies replied they don't know the amount of the vitamin I was asking about since they never had it analysed. If they have a full nutritional analysis done then you at least know there is enough tuarine in it.

The Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein Chicken that I settled on as the best uses tapioca but now that he's grown the fox only gets some if he steals from the dog. 2/3s of Beaker dog's diet is raw and 1/3rd or less(depending on if he eats it all that day) is the kibble. In his case he does also get extra taurine supplemented as well in hopes it helps with his anxiety some.

This article is also good with some more details and vet suggestion https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... d-dcm.aspx

That one suggest tapioca is only an issue because it might be used in excess and lower the protein and taurine content, so unlike legumes does not inhibit use.

So avoid legumes since they inhibit taurine use and go for higher tauine meats and make sure the company has a analysis of the finished food product so you know how much taurine is left in the food once fully made.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Mary, in with the other information you provided above, this in particular jumped out at me:

In his case he does also get extra taurine supplemented as well in hopes it helps with his anxiety some.

Our Aussie used to not be affected by unusual noises, such as thunder, gun shots, fireworks, etc. He is now coming on 3, and his anxieties seem to be increasing. Same way with my one raccoon - he used to not be bothered by loud noises, now he runs and hides every time he hears something loud. I feed my dogs & my raccoons the same kibble: Nutrena Loyall Life - Chicken & Rice. I'm wondering now - could they be low in taurine because of the kibble I'm feeding? This recipe does have legumes in abundance, ie Dehydrated Peas, Ground Peas, Ground Garbanzo Beans, Ground Lentils. And curiously enough, dried tomato pomace. I've always heard tomato is poisonous to dogs & raccoons. ??? If so, why are they adding it to the dog food??
Dana

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Tomato is fine if it's all the same as what a human would eat. The same parts poisonous to us are poisonous to them(green parts). But the peas, beans and lentils could be a problem.

Taurine has a calming effect on the system so when the system is low it will make the animal more anxious and or testy. You might see them get worse around shedding time because growing new fur uses a lot of taurine.

Beaker is very noise phobic but he's always been noise phobic, it's just gotten worse as he's gotten older with spikes up when Hyzzie died and then when we removed his balls. He actually doesn't care about thunder or fireworks unless he''s outside and they are close. But hear a dog bark, wants to go, home, hears a crow croak, wants to go home, see's people walking wants to go home. He didn't have the best up bringing before us and is a parvo survivor so there could be a lot of factors in his case. Supplementing taurine doesn't hurt though since it does have a calming effect.

Might be worth finding a food without legumes and maybe try supplementing some taurine for awhile and see if it helps your guys.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Interesting you mention a correlation between increased symptoms during shedding time. This dog has been in full shed mode for the past 2+ months, and his anxiety levels are higher, too. But that being said, typically during the time of summer shed, we also have the thunder to contend with, along with the morons who are seriously embracing the new relaxed fireworks law that PA just initiated, and living in the country, we never have a shortage of gun-luvin' yokels always hammering rounds off at any point in time. So who knows exactly WHAT is stimulating his anxiety levels.

I've been toying with going back to a good non-grain-free kibble - especially after hearing about the enlarged heart issue. My Aussie breeder (over 30 years in the business) swears by Purina basic formula. It's all she feeds her dogs, and is what she recommends to those she sells her dogs to.
Dana

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

The chihuahua breeder I used to know that had chihuahua's that lived into their late 20's fed pedigree. Not the best food out there but obviously not super detrimental. Unfortunately I see peas are now part of their recipe. I just looked at a lot of old dog foods I used to like and they all have peas now. I never did like the idea of peas in dog food but I didn't have a good reason before, just felt wrong. Then it became popular as a way to show the food has veggies, a better veggie is sweet potato, shown to help extend a dog's life when part of the diet.

My childhood dog was on crap then when I got control of her diet later put her on Pedigree than later natural balance after seeing it at a dog show. She made it to 15 despite the crap early diet, liking to eat road pizza and my feeding her most of my peas as a child, lol. She never had one lick of fear but she was half fox terrier, she just looked chihuahua and enjoyed heat. If I were ever going to buy a chihuahua instead of adopt I'd track down who got lines from that one lady's lines. I still remember her kennel so should be possible "Bright Star Chihuahuas" It is no more but the whole point of AKC is to track that. Will probably stick to adopting but may consider it when older.

Ikigai loves green beans but he doesn't get them as a regular part of his diet.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:19 am

we can't win on dog food companies. years ago, all was safe, I use to feed my dogs back then dry dog food. most lived to 13.(all was large dogs)

I don't feed my dogs any dog food. they get chicken and sweet potatoes. a few snacks.
for my raccoons, they get cooked chicken, with sweet potatoes. a few marshmallows, sugar free cereal. grapes, watermelon and a few marrow bones
donnie(my fox) gets chicken, sweet potatoes, giblets and a few eggs..

Dana, as for your aussie, sybil use to be afraid of loud noises. her diet has been the same. it was mostly the noise from 4th of july fireworks.
I use to have to sit up there with her so keep her calm. :roll: however, now, she is fine with it.

Leo my aussie is shedding really bad too. maybe it has something to do with the horrible hot weather :shrug:

I am not doubting Mary's info, I don't understand how food could change a dog's personality.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:27 pm

we can't win on dog food companies. years ago, all was safe,

Was it? Or was it just far less regulated, and we never knew if one particular batch was bad?? Who knows?? We fed several dogs on a locally produced dog food (Dad's) and they all well surpassed their breed life expectancy. Really thinking of going back to that brand, even though its first ingredient is corn. Or - - - maybe I'll mix the Dad's half n half with the Loyall Life that I've been feeding. Not sure yet...

Finn is still in shed mode. It feels like it's never gonna end. :-x Once a week, I vacuum him with a special dog brush attachment my Dyson came with, and even after vacuum-brushing him for nearly 20 minutes, he still drops hair all over the place within minutes. Our other 2 Aussies never shed this bad. Not sure if it's the breeding, maybe? Although the first Aussie came from a show line, the 2nd from a working line. I don't know, but I've about had it. We just went on vacation for a week. Went to unpack my clothes when we got there and there was Finn hair on nearly every piece of clothing that I'd brought. <sigh>Good thing we were in the wilds of Idaho, rather than on a Carribean cruise! LOL

I think what Mary is saying is that if an animal has a taurine deficiency, it can cause them to be more affected by loud noises. The legumes in these grain-free dog foods has an effect that depletes or leaches the naturally occurring taurine levels in an animal's body. Or at least that's what I interpreted from her answer... I just checked the ingredients in the Loyall Life - taurine is NOT included...
Dana

Return to “NEWS”