PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

ferrets maul newborn's face

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KingObeat

ferrets maul newborn's face

Postby KingObeat » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:25 am

DARBY, Pa. (AP) — Authorities near Philadelphia say a trio of pet ferrets mauled a newborn who was left downstairs in her car seat, chewing off the baby's nose and part of her cheek and lip.

Officials say the month-old baby was attacked Thursday afternoon by ferrets that escaped from a cloth cage while the girl's mother went upstairs and her father was sleeping. Authorities say the baby was in stable condition in intensive care Friday after emergency reconstructive surgery at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Police say four other young children have been placed with relatives amid concerns about their parents' ability to care for them.

"The parents, I believe, have problems," Darby Borough Police Chief Robert Smythe told the Delaware County Daily Times. "They are challenged. They can't take care of these kids."

The ferrets scampered away when the mother came downstairs after hearing the baby's screams, Smythe said.

According to the website of the American Ferret Association, a healthy, a well-trained ferret shouldn't bite but needs to be taught acceptable behaviors like any other pet. The association says that ferrets and kids can play well together but that small children shouldn't be left alone with them or any other animal.

Smythe said investigators found more food for the family's ferrets and cats than for the children. Police have asked prosecutors to approve charges against the parents.

"Just imagine that 1-month-old baby, that can't help herself, (and) two or three animals are eating it alive," he said. "Imagine the pain."
http://news.yahoo.com/cops-pet-ferrets- ... 14422.html
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ferrets maul newborn's face

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:20 pm

That is a very sad story, and I really hope the baby is able to make a full recovery. It would be so hard knowing that because of your negligence you left your child scarred for life. Very tragic. But I'm happy the baby is in stable condition and is going to be okay. I just hope they can reconstruct the girl's face.

If they seized all the children from the home, chances are there was more going on then just ferrets "running loose." Parents these days... I feel bad for these kids. Hope they're staying with good, upstanding relatives and not foster parents. The foster system can be terrible, and I don't like that they'll sometimes split up siblings. That shouldn't happen, in my opinion.

It makes headlines because they were ferrets. Could have been any animal left alone with a newborn baby--and it still would have made headlines.

This is just asking for trouble... No matter how well-behaved ANY animal is, it should never be left alone with a child unsupervised, period. Sometimes, not even if it's supervised. My future kids aren't going to "play" with any of my animals, but they can love and respect them from a distance or be around them when they are babies. Careful judgement needs to be considered here. Sometimes people give their animals too much leeway around their kids, because their animals "wouldn't hurt a fly."
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:23 pm

It's funny in an ironic sense, actually. My mother used to tell me when I was young that ferrets were banned in California because they mauled babies. She's always hated ferrets for virtually no reason.

Today she sent me a picture of this headline in the paper, and I sent her back the Google results of "cat mauls baby", "dog mauls baby", "fox mauls baby", "raccoon mauls baby", and "rats maul baby". To which she conceded that babies are the ones that should probably be in cages, not animals. :lol:

Anything with teeth is potentially dangerous. And I know, from my ferrets, that they certainly can bite hard. They've never broken skin, but who knows if the baby picked one up roughly and they bit her face? Ferrets are flexible and quick, and carnivores despite most people being unaware of that.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:02 am

There are no articles about the hundreds of thousands of ferrets who lead calm, pleasant lives with their owners, and we're left
with these lurid anecdotes that the media just adores. And after this hundreds of fools will dump their poor ferrets into the shelter
system.

I've known dozens of ferrets, spent time with ferrets of unknown origins, abused ferrets, neglected ferrets, and never once experienced
a bite, or any sort of threatening behavior.

This type of nonsense is why I feel such mistrust of media outlets.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 am

Honestly, this is just a case of parent negligence. You don't let weasel-like animals (natural predators) stay in the same room as your newborn baby, in a CLOTH cage they can escape from. And like I said, if all the children were taken, there is more to this story than just ferrets getting out.

Just like with the snake crushing the two boys in Canada. Snake "kills" makes headlines, but that investigation is not yet closed and is being treated like a homicide.

I personally think it should have been titled: "Negligent parents accidentally allow ferrets to maul newborn's face and get their children taken by DCFS."

Ferrets are popular enough that I honestly don't think the bad headline is going to be hurtful to the ferret community. Though it is frustrating to see sensationalized animal horror stories over and over.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Ash wrote:Honestly, this is just a case of parent negligence. You don't let weasel-like animals (natural predators) stay in the same room as your newborn baby, in a CLOTH cage they can escape from. And like I said, if all the children were taken, there is more to this story than just ferrets getting out.

Just like with the snake crushing the two boys in Canada. Snake "kills" makes headlines, but that investigation is not yet closed and is being treated like a homicide.

I personally think it should have been titled: "Negligent parents accidentally allow ferrets to maul newborn's face and get their children taken by DCFS."

Ferrets are popular enough that I honestly don't think the bad headline is going to be hurtful to the ferret community. Though it is frustrating to see sensationalized animal horror stories over and over.

Pretty much this, no one takes kids away just because of an animal attacking the kids. A lot of people interviewed about the parents shared the same story that they had other problems besides what happened to the poor baby.

Return to “NEWS”