please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Class action lawsuit claims that Purina food is killing dogs

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Class action lawsuit claims that Purina food is killing dogs

Postby Juska » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:32 pm

http://www.examiner.com/article/class-a ... lling-dogs

A lawsuit alleging that Purina's Beneful dog food has sickened or killed countless dogs was filed against Nestle Purina Petcare Company earlier this month.

The class action lawsuit, which was filed in a California federal court by plaintiff Frank Lucido on Feb. 5, alleges that Beneful dog food contains toxic substances that have caused serious illness or death in thousands of dogs.

Lucido, who had owned three dogs, purchased a bag of Purina Beneful in late Dec. 2014 or early 2015. His German Shepherd, Labrador retriever, and English Bulldog all began eating the food. According to Lucido, the three dogs exclusively ate the Beneful - and he began noticing concerning changes in his dogs on Jan. 15.

Lucido's German Shepherd began to lose large quantities of hair and "began to give off an unusual odor" - and by Jan. 17, the dog had become "violently ill."

A veterinarian examined the sick dog and determined that the German Shepherd had internal bleeding in his stomach. The dog's liver was also malfunctioning - and the veterinarian stated that this was "consistent with poisoning."

Less than one week later, on Jan. 23, Lucido's wife found their English Bulldog dead in their yard.

The class action lawsuit states:

"Post-mortem veterinary examination revealed signs of internal bleeding in the dog’s stomach and lesions on his liver, much like [the German Shepherd]."

Shortly afterward, Lucido's Labrador also became ill. Their third dog is currently being tested.

Lucido claims that he and his wife “suffered economic losses including the purchase price of Beneful and veterinary and related medical expenses” as result of the damage that Beneful has done to their dogs.

The Beneful class action lawsuit states that there have been more than 3,000 complaints posted by dog owners “about dogs becoming ill, in many cases very seriously ill, and/or dying after eating Beneful."

The lawsuit states:

"The dogs show consistent symptoms, including stomach and related internal bleeding, liver malfunction or failure, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, weight loss, seizures, bloating, and kidney failure."

According to Lucido, Beneful is advertised as a "healthful and nutritional dog food," but his experience - and the experiences of others - don't support these statements.

Lucido states that Beneful allegedly include propylene glycol, a "known animal toxin [that's] poisonous to cats and dogs." The lawsuit further alleges that Beneful includes mycotoxins, a group of toxins "produced by fungus that occurs in grains, which are a principle ingredient in Beneful.”

The Association for Truth In Pet Food independently tested Beneful and found that “Beneful Original...contained dangerous levels of mycotoxins.”

Lucido's lawsuit looks to represent two classes: A nationwide class and a California subclass for dog owners “who purchased Beneful dog food in the past four years and who incurred any out of pocket costs due to illness, injury or death of their dog resulting from the ingestion of Beneful.”

The Beneful toxic dog food class action lawsuit charges Nestle Purina with breach of implied warranty, breach of express warranty, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, strict products liability, violating California’s consumer legal remedies act, violating California’s Unfair Competition Law, and violating California’s False Advertising Law.

The plaintiff is represented by Jeffrey B. Cereghino of Ram, Olson, Cereghino & Kopcyzynski, by John Yanchunis of Morgan & Morgan Complex Litigation Group, by Karl Molineux of Merrill, Nomura & Molineux, and by Donna F. Solen of Kimbrell Kimbrell & Solen LLC.

The Beneful Toxic Dog Food Class Action Lawsuit is Frank Lucido v. Nesltle Purina Petcare Company, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

As of this writing, there are 861 complaints about Purina pet food on the website ConsumerAffairs.com.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
DeweysMom

Re: Class action lawsuit claims that Purina food is killing

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Wow! I never fed Beneful, but I feed Purina Cat Chow and have fed the dog chow on occasion.

It's a shame when you can't count on a company as old and well-known as Purina. Yikes! Who CAN you trust?!?!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Purina is garbage. I've been telling people that for years. I would never recommend it to people asking about food when I was in Pet Care at PetSmart. Obviously I wasn't a rabid hater or anything while I was doing my job, or when I'm explaining it to people I meet, but I did explain the cons of the food and that there were always better choices over it and other brands like it.

I wasn't just trying to sell them more expensive dog food or something shady like that...I was trying to educate them on what foods were better for their dog's well-being, and that they should care about that.

I don't remember if I ever posted it here but when I was grooming, if a dog pooped in the salon somewhere we could always tell if they were being fed Beneful. It made their poop turn bright colors because of the artificial coloring they put in it to sell it to people. We'd always ask the pet parents afterward "Hey, do you happen to feed your dog Beneful?" "Yeah, how did you know?" Ugh.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:15 pm

That's going to be a big lawsuit. I'm very surprised it didn't happen sooner, but maybe nobody had the funds to "get it up and going." Just another warning to stay away from Purina... I don't know all the chemicals they mentioned well enough, but if they're harmful I think it's obvious they shouldn't be put in your pet's food.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 am

thank you juska for letting us know.

I always thought purina was the safer one out of all the low cost foods.
I don't feed the benefical one. I think I did awhile back to my cats,
then found out they had diarrhea. but, changed to the regular brand of purina.

however, I am still feeding cats the regular purina along with the can cat food.

geez, now I am not sure what to feed them. I have 6 cats, so it could get expensive
and time consuming to cook meals for them too.

any ideas? the grain free is expensive, but, if that is what I have to do, then I will.
maybe mix it with some cooked chicken :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

I feed my dogs Diamond Naturals (though they've had a few recalls in the past few years). It's pretty good food for the price we pay, $30 for a 40lb bag of dog food. They have Diamond Naturals for cats but they don't have a grain-free formula available for cats like they do dogs.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 pm

That's what my dogs are eating right now, Diamond Naturals. I got a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply for $20-something because it had a hole in the top/side that they taped up.

Usually they eat Taste of the Wild but I was okay enough with Diamond Naturals to feed it to them. I've read the complaints people have had about it but apparently it's the Extreme Athlete kind people are having most problems with. My dogs have had no reaction to it and they've been eating from the same bag for months. They don't eat/need a lot of food when they're eating decent kibble and getting raw on the side (well, Emo is anyway).

People are blown away when I say my two dogs that equal 90lbs together last on a 40lb bag for months. They wonder why their single medium/large size dog destroys a 40lb bag of food a MONTH...then they tell me they're eating Purina, Ol Roy or Kibbles n Bits :/

Namira is eating Friskies...It's the same bag from when we "found" her and I bought it on clearance for $8, just to feed her until we found her owner or brought her to a shelter. I didn't want to run out and buy her a $20 bag of food if she was only going to be with us for a few weeks. But we ended up keeping her and that's what she's been eating because I didn't want to get rid of a large bag or try to give away an open bag. She doesn't eat much. She weighs about 5lbs, and she actually drinks water so she doesn't "wolf" down food like some cats do.

Once it's gone I might try switching her to something else, but she is a very picky eater. She won't touch "human" food or even wet cat food. I'll have to try and get a small sample for her to try and see if she likes it first...because you can't return food just because your pet "doesn't like it", lol.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

We feed our cats 9 lives cat food, pate-style. We used to feed them dry food but it would make both of them vomit. When we first switched them to canned, we fed them the nicest food on the shelf that you can get at Meijer (retail store like Walmart) - Newman's Own Organic, but they threw that up too on top of the fact that it made the cats smell awful for whatever reason - their breath was horrendous.

I'm not a big fan of 9 lives but our cats haven't thrown up in months, so. :/

Juska our bag lasts us a good 3-4 months between our 50 lb setter mix and our 15 lb Terrier mix. I usually have to buy it myself when I come home from break - last time I let my dad do it he bought the cheap Diamond food and gave the dogs diarrhea. :roll:

edit: here's a cat food comparison chart - it's a little gold but still looks good and the author did a ton of research for it. http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf
And she has a pretty good break down of cat foods here with some quick recommendations at the end: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm

We had the cats on diamond indoor(I think that's it the purple one) because Kat was fat. After she died we switched to nutro naturals because Jake would spit up the food semi frequently. But last time my dad got confused and bought a big bag of diamond and Jake's been fine with it. I think the shape is different than when we fed it before, so who knows maybe it's the shape? He gets a couple spoon fulls of 9 lives wet food a couple times a day as well.

Return to “NEWS”