PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KingObeat

Re: More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list

Postby KingObeat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 am

HSUS up to their old tricks, again. :-x Hopefully the judge knows their reputation.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 am

KingObeat wrote:HSUS up to their old tricks, again. :-x Hopefully the judge knows their reputation.

The fact that he didn't just dismiss the injunction is VERY great. They usually just get swept aside in cases like these. I really think we're gonna come on top here. :) If the constrictor ban is put on hold, I think I'll just go buy a million retics and anacondas--honestly, I can't think of a better way to celebrate than that! :lol:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 am

Ash wrote:
KingObeat wrote:HSUS up to their old tricks, again. :-x Hopefully the judge knows their reputation.

The fact that he didn't just dismiss the injunction is VERY great. They usually just get swept aside in cases like these. I really think we're gonna come on top here. :) If the constrictor ban is put on hold, I think I'll just go buy a million retics and anacondas--honestly, I can't think of a better way to celebrate than that! :lol:
After they banned burmese pythons, I went and got a green anaconda since I was afraid they would be next. Now I really wanna get a pure super dwarf retic, but I can't find any online.
HumaneWatch

Protect the Harvest
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 pm

It's sadly past the date now, so any interstate transport would be illegal now.... Unless the judge rules in our favor and makes them give us an extension period.

BUT here's another update from NERD, and it actually sounds very promising:

** Update 4/8/2015 **

Ok, the new law goes into effect on 4/9 so I interpret that as NO MORE SHIPPING! As of tomorrow the snakes are trapped in that state. Respect the USFWS law....... we don't need to challenge our Government's authority! Writing anything negative that expresses your grief is understandable but let's all be smart! We are trying to set a positive light on this and we are working very hard with the law to get JUSTICE! I know everyone is upset, clearly I am..... for now let's just keep some of this stuff under a rug. I have great faith in our legal argument and feel confident that we will have relief in the near future.

Yes, we were allowed to amend our Lawsuit with the addition of the Retic and Green Anacondas.... this clearly made sense to the judge since we did not think they would add these species considering these snakes are actually NOT Invasive/Injurious here! What was good to hear was that Judge Moss is exactly what we hope a Judge to be...... intelligent and thinking. He also questioned why a total US ban is needed when the concern is for Texas and Florida. HSUS was there with their attorney but were unable to interject an argument... they literally work on lies and mistruths.... nothing can believed from this factory of rubbish!!!! Thee will be some briefs filed...back and forth...we file our briefs they file theirs...then we file another and they file another kind of thing. There is a possibility that there even may another court session as the Judge does his best to understand the entire scope of this very strange and complicated case. more to come...

So I definitely have hope here. It really seems like a great sign, and I hope this judge can come through for us! If he does, I'm going to celebrate by buying a green annie or retic or something. I've just been too "involved" now that I feel like I NEED one.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 06, 2015 7:25 pm

We will know what Judge Moss's decision is tomorrow. Everybody is going crazy... including me, and I was never planning on owning an annie or retic. But we'll see--like I said, if he grants us the extension until the lawsuit is heard, maybe I'll celebrate and get some. ;) Fingers crossed and praying...

Update from NERD:
5/6/2015..... We are biting our nails as we await Thursday's decision. We "should" hear if we are granted the Stay of the Constrictor Rule or not tomorrow!

As we know they have NOT scheduled another meeting with Judge Moss, meaning he deems there is enough information available to make a decision. If we are allowed the Stay we can once again trade and sell Retics and Green Anacondas across state lines. If we are denied the stay and USFWS continues forward we have nothing left to do but wait for the final showdown, the Lawsuit.

Our case looks very strong..... but I happen to watch the news and see the insanity that exist here in the USA. Perhaps, this is a coin toss.....
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Wed May 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Please, please, please, please "pop"
HumaneWatch

Protect the Harvest
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm going crazy!! No updates yet!
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Tue May 12, 2015 10:57 pm

YAY!! :bear: From USARK:

Reptile Nation, we have good news! USARK is pleased to announce the Court ruled in our favor, granting our motion for preliminary injunction. This injunction will suspend the ban on interstate transportation of reticulated pythons and green anacondas under the Lacey Act. Given the high bar that must be met for an injunction, this is indeed a tremendous milestone in USARK’s history.

USARK President Phil Goss knew immediately that USARK must fight for this preliminary injunction after hearing the Fish and Wildlife Service announce additional snake species would be unjustly listed as injurious during their March 2015 press conference. It’s been tireless work by those involved, and Goss had this to say today, “Truth is a powerful weapon, but only if it’s heard. The Reptile Nation has been heard! This would not have happened without a united reptile community supporting this pivotal cause. Thank you, Reptile Nation!”

Our case involves much more than snakes, and the reptile community has made it glaringly evident to anti-pet groups that we can and will fight. We fight not only for ourselves, but for all responsible pet owners. We hold the truth and legitimate science. We will prevail over disgraceful sensationalism and nefarious propaganda.

The herp community is comprised of five million households in America. Community members care about their pet snakes, turtles, lizards, frogs and invertebrates just as other pet owners do their dogs, cats and horses. As the public becomes aware of the facts in our case, rather than reacting to an irrational fear of snakes and lies from anti-pet groups, support will grow from the tens of millions of American pet owners.

The Reptile Nation may be misunderstood, but we are responsible pet owners. We will not back down to animal rights groups seeking to remove our freedoms as Americans. We look forward to getting the facts out in public as this case proceeds.

CONTACT: Media and press may contact USARK with inquiries at info@USARK.com.

Preliminary Injunction: What you need to know now!

The Court has granted USARK’s motion for a preliminary injunction. This will eliminate enforcement of interstate commerce and transportation for reticulated pythons and green anacondas until the Court rules on USARK’s lawsuit. Judge Moss has requested USARK and FWS submit additional briefs by May 15, and has scheduled a hearing for May 18 to discuss this action.

The importation and interstate transportation/commerce bans are still in effect. Enforcement will likely be lifted shortly after the hearing on the 18th, once we have a ruling on the final scope of the injunction.

There are two main questions raised by the Court to be discussed in the briefs and hearing:

Should the injunction be tailored to exclude shipment into Florida and Texas?
This has not yet been decided, so shipping into Texas and Florida may or not continue to be banned. Shipping out of these states should not be an issue. Obviously, USARK will fight to allow shipment into these states as both states already have regulations regarding these species. (These are the only two continental states listed in the USGS model used as having potentially suitable habitat for these species.)
Whether it is necessary or appropriate for FWS to seek interim relief from the Court of Appeals.

Also, USARK asks that the herp community present themselves in a civil and professional manner throughout the remainder of this lawsuit. USARK only represents responsible herp owners and businesses. Being irresponsible in any manner is not within USARK's mission statement. Thank you for maintaining your composure and representing us with dignity, Reptile Nation.

View the Court ruling at www.usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/0 ... -on-PI.pdf.

USARK will provide additional information soon.
HumaneWatch

Protect the Harvest
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 pm

You beat me to it! I was coming to post. I was thrilled to see this!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 20, 2015 2:19 pm

So we have a huge victory, but the victory is bitter-sweet. Two states currently do not have the ruling lifted--Texas and Florida--but that was sadly inevitable to an extent; mostly to making FWS back off for now. So those states will have to wait until the lawsuit is finished, and we'll keep our fingers crossed for them. They can still export, but they can't import anything into their state.

So this was a victory for all animal owners, especially reptile owners, in the USA. Retics and green annies will be off the injurious listing for now--at least until the lawsuit comes to a close.

So this is something to be happy for! I do feel bad that Florida and Texas can't celebrate with us, but this is really good news otherwise. In the meantime, this means that anybody with retics and green annies should not move to these two states--because then you will be "trapped."

## 5/20/2015 ## With clarification.
So, we get partial relief with our USARK Injunction in 14 days. Florida and Texas will not be allowed to ship into, across a state border as stated by the Constrictor Ruling. Losing these two states is clearly a sore point indeed! (People living in Texas and Florida will be allowed to ship OUT OF both of these states.). Realize this, with USFWS and USGS stating that possibly these snakes "could" find an appropriate environment in Florida and Texas the Judge elected to remove these two considerations to make the USARK Injunction iron-clad. If the Judge included these two states there would be many factors to argue. For clarity the Judge removed them and created a black and white argument, suck as it may it is a victory considering what we are up against.
We will once again be allowed to ship our animals into other states.

Membership has it's benefits, being a member of USARK and backing the Injunction will now give you the ability to ship your animals to most places but NOT to Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Texas and Florida. If you were a member of USARK when the injunction was filed, in theory you backed the Lawsuit and Injunction you will be covered. You can even get a letter stating membership.
So, you donated to USARK but did not specifically ask to be a member, did it automatically happen? Phil will clarify this point but I likely feel YES, you are an automatic member. Remember, we are getting railed with huge task and responsibilities and there is no imaginable way to make everything perfect @ USARK. USARK is grateful for all donations and if people donated but forgot to apply for membership you will be covered! If you gave to the Reptile Defense fund you will automatically be covered! Right now there are many things to deal with and address, it's ovewhelming for sure. Do not forget we have a bunch of non-sense blowing up from HSUS and Center for Bio Diversity.

Let's not forget, we need your support more than ever, if your membership expired you may want to "renew" !!!!!!!!!!!! Please remember this point, check "Renew" your membership!!!!!!!!!!!
We are looking for clarity regarding the questions you want to ask will be answered in the near future.

Realize this, although we did not win everything (just yet) we would have LOST entirely if we did not have USARK!!

We have much work to do, we need to be optimistic and the LAWSUIT is the final showdown!
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Thu May 21, 2015 1:51 am

This is indeed good news. Wish the organization would include mammal keepers in the group.

We need to stick and work together for a common cause.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 21, 2015 6:20 pm

otterpop wrote:This is indeed good news. Wish the organization would include mammal keepers in the group.

We need to stick and work together for a common cause.

Actually, they do fight to defend mammal keepers. They are not as vocal about that, because honestly, they would probably lose support if they were so vocal about it.

I can't remember which state it was, but they fought for both reptiles and mammals and as a result kept servals off the "ban-list."

They are first and foremost here for the US reptile owners, but they definitely defend the exotic mammal owners too. In their news letters they send out, they alert people about changes in laws that affect mammals (even if reptiles aren't mentioned in the law change) and encourage people to go out and fight. One of the last news letters alerted people about a change in Arizona(? maybe different state) regarding primate ownership--and they encouraged people to all go and fight that.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that as USARK gains more and more traction they may be able to become more than just a reptile lobbyist group and maybe start up a second branch for all animals. Mammals, birds, herps, invertebrates, fish--we need to fight for everything we can.

Return to “NEWS”