Woolly Mammoth Project

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Woolly Mammoth Project

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:05 am

Finally, at least we hear about some progress!! Article makes it sound promising. But if they're combining the DNA with elephant DNA, that's not going to actually produce any "true" woolly mammoths, right? So we're not going to get the "real deal," but still, pretty cool and awesome.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/scientists-successfully-insert-woolly-mammoth-dna-elephant-genome#
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nìmwey

Re: Woolly Mammoth Project

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:50 am

I'm allergic to IFLS (they have posted some AR-nuts-stuff not long ago), so I won't read the article.

But I read in a science magazine waaay back (late 90s?) that they would do something like that, take frozen mammoth sperm, and make mammoth/elephant hybrids (but the hybrids would be more elephant than mammoth first?).

And I'm just thinking, why not just clone them? Should be as easy/difficult as finding a working sperm cell with intact DNA.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Woolly Mammoth Project

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

It's the intact DNA part that is hard. They only find bits and pieces. Even though the soft tissue survives the DNA actually breaks down very fast. It's why even though they have found soft tissue of dinos in some fossils there will never be clones, no dna left. In this case they inserted a few pieces they had into the elephant DNA.

Return to “NEWS”