In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Vet Fired Over Graphic Facebook Post of Dead Cat

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:16 pm

http://www.pitchengine.com/pitches/4e3c ... 8e938a2398

BRENHAM VETERINARIAN FIRED OVER FACEBOOK PHOTO SHOWING CAT WITH ARROW IN HEAD

Friday, April 17, 2015 11:29PM

"BRENHAM, TX -- A Brenham veterinarian is out of a job as authorities are investigating whether she should face animal cruelty charges based on a graphic social media post.

Dr. Kristen Lindsey was fired from her job at the Washington Animal Clinic in Brenham after a photo was posted on her Facebook page. It shows her holding a cat with an arrow through its head. The text reads, "my first bow kill. lol. The only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through it's head. Vet of the year award...gladly accepted."

Clinic workers say they received hundreds of calls from people outraged about the post. Eyewitness news has learned they've even gotten a bomb threat.

"Our goal now is to go on and try to fix our black eye and hope that people are reasonable and understand that those actions don't anyway portray what we're for here at Washington Animal Clinic," said Dr. Bruce Buenger with the Washington Animal Clinic.

Austin County Sheriff Jack Brandes says his department has received calls and comments from around the world and are investigating. If they determine who shot the cat, that person will could animal cruelty charges.

"This is not acceptable in our society. This is not how we live in Austin County," said Sheriff Brandes.

While the post claims the dead cat was feral, Amy Hemsell believes otherwise. She cat-sits an orange and white tabby cat on a property on the same road as where Lindsey lives. He went missing shortly before the picture was posted.

"Disgust. Deplorable that anybody, not just a vet, that anybody can do that to a cat," said Hemsell who also volunteers for a local animal rescue group.

Our attempts to reach Lindsey were not successful.

Eyewitness News has learned she plans to meet with investigators next week with an attorney present.

Loris Jones with the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners says they are aware of the incident, but as is policy, she couldn't confirm or deny whether there is an investigation."
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ana

Re: Vet Fired Over Graphic Facebook Post of Dead Cat

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 pm

It's comforting to see the backlash against this sort of anti-social behavior. Hopefully he loses his business over it and becomes
more self aware.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:28 pm

It was the female Dr who did it not the male who owns the clinic who fired her soon as he found out. Sociopaths are very good at hiding it and fitting in. Even many psychologists/psychiatrists can be fooled by them. If he is punished by loosing his business because customers blame him for hiring her then that's just more damage caused by her.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:19 am

Yeah, I saw that today circulating all over facebook. I think it's just weird, honestly. I understand if there are feral cats in your area and it's legal to kill them, but if you're a VET, that's just BAD taste. Not to mention the gloating over it, which is gross.

Who in their right mind would post that on social media--especially someone in the veterinary field? If it does turn out to be someone's pet, she is in major trouble (not like she already isn't). Of all people she should understand the backlash of that sort of thing.

If it's legal to kill feral cats, I'd say the act of killing it was not an issue. The issue is her stance on the death of the animal. Killing when legal is okay, but should not be taken lightly and certainly not with lots of "lol's" and boastful remarks.

I had to euthanize another bird this past Tuesday that was suffering (hit it with my car and it had stuff coming out the side of its head and could hardly move...). Even though I know I did the right thing, I just felt a sinking feeling inside. Never would I hop on facebook posting the image of that dead bird with a smashed skull and gloat about it. I'm okay with what I did, but I would never EVER make light of something like that.

It's one thing to go hunting and feel "proud" of your first kill. You're bringing home the bacon, so to speak, you're doing it legally, you're more in touch with nature. It's another to spear a cat through the head with an arrow and wave it around like you did some sort of good, all while you're laughing and smiling.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:08 pm

I hope that sick bitch loses her vet license. she apparently don't like animals,and don't seem to know much about them.
she should have been able to tell if that cat was feral, many feral cats look very shabby looking. the cat she killed looked very healthy.
either way, she should should have at least posted somewhere about a found cat. but, she sounds like she is a thrill killer.
I too am glad she got a lot of complaints.

hope the bitch gets a big fine, the owner sues sues her, and jail time would be a big bonus.

I feel so bad for the owner of the cat icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Even if it is legal to kill feral cats, I'd be questioning the legality of killing one with a bow and arrow. Not sure if laws specify what type of method is legal to use for killing ferals...if it is in fact legal. I know that hunting and killing a pet cat/dog on purpose is illegal in any state (though in PA now it's apparently legal for an owner to shoot their dogs if they're suffering or something like that, heard that on the news some time ago). And I wouldn't take it upon myself to assume any cat was feral before taking aim and trying to shoot it in the head with a bow.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:38 pm

There are usually laws against using bow and arrow in city limits, just like not using firearms.

The problem though is a FB post is not an official confession. Theoretically she could have found the cat with an arrow in it and made a stupid post. To prosecute anything they would need an official confession or a witness. So likely nothing legal will happen to her.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Oh, I'm sure she blabbed to somebody about doing it. Just have to wait for them to come out of the woodwork, if they're not too scared to talk.

Though, she clearly wrote "my first bow kill". So it's kinda obvious that she did it...that text along with the photo, I'd take that as a confession.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 am

Follow up article: http://news.yahoo.com/texas-veterinarian-fired-being-investigated-cat-death-181529133.html

Basically photo needs to be authenticated before an arrest can be made.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:48 am

"Anybody can take a computer and alter a photograph."

Morons. Absolute morons. This single sentence is enough to tell me that this guy has zero interest in this case. Also that he's completely illiterate with computers and how they work.

I heard the authorities in this county don't really give a damn about animal welfare, and from what I've read it seems to be true. There won't be a case on this. They just don't care.

They know it's an unaltered photo and yet they will do nothing about it. You know how you tell if a photo is edited? Every time you take a photo on a camera or even a phone, the phone attaches information to that photo: what brand of phone/camera, the time, sometimes down to the second it was taken, the date, the dimensions, the original filename. If you alter a photo in Photoshop or any other editing tool it removes this information. So it's pretty easy to tell, even without some expert coming in and giving their opinion in court, that a photo is an original.

If there is an original of the photo (and deleted photos CAN be recovered from devices like hard drives and phone storage, people are still stupid enough to believe that wiping their hard drive of "bad stuff" like search history, photos, files and chat logs will save them from the law) that proves it is an unaltered, real image, along with her text in the post that was obviously POSTED BY HER and has WITNESSES when the photo was taken, that's enough in my book to prosecute.

Isn't it kind of strange that she claims to have been practicing with her bow that day and magically a dead cat shows up in her yard with an arrow lodged in its head? Did they even think to get a warrant for her bow and arrows to check if it's the same kind of arrow as the one used to kill the cat? Check it for fingerprints? Do the authorities even HAVE the body of the cat, or the arrow, whatsoever? I didn't see mention of where the body actually is in any article.

The photo is clearly of her, SMILING, holding a dead cat from an arrow protruding from its head. There aren't many alternate circumstances for that photo to exist. Even if she had FOUND the cat like that, I'm sure most sane people wouldn't take a photo of themselves smiling and holding it to post online. They don't seem to have a REASON for someone to want to have altered the photo in the first place, either, so that theory doesn't even hold water to begin with. She hasn't claimed it was fake or someone trying to get her in trouble.

On top of that, they'd have to have a photo of her standing like that with her arms up as if she was holding something. And a photo of a dead cat hanging from an arrow to Photoshop onto it. Which I seriously doubt anyone took the time to do.

They can question her mother, who was allegedly there and took the photo. If she LIES about it, and says that they weren't there (which goes back on another post the mother allegedly made that says her and another person were in the yard with this woman when she committed the act), they are breaking the law.

If they find out the photo is unaltered, and they question the mother (who had to have taken the photo as the woman couldn't have taken it herself at that distance) there has to be at least enough there to charge her. This whole "the picture might be fake" thing is BS at best, they just want the public to calm down and forget it happened, because they don't care enough to investigate.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:28 am

I did not know the lady was in the picture. I have only read it described as a picture of a cat with an arrow through it's head. If there is a picture with any of the articles I read I am unable to view it.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

The second one I posted had it in the article, but the image is hidden from view unless you click on it where it says "reveal image", because the image contains graphic content.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 pm

I think that this whole situation is being taken in a bizarre direction, frankly. While I do not approve of her gloating about killing a cat that wasn't even feral, what she did is ridiculously common.

It may not be comfortable to think about, but every vet in the US has euthanized animals. And not just old or sick ones, many people euthanize their animals because they are moving and can't take them with them, and other bizarre reasons. Animals are euthanized every day in shelters because there isn't enough funding or staff or room. I've been on that side of it, and it's awful.

In addition, anyone who thinks vets do not kill to hunt are sort of out of the loop. All veterinary schools in the US with the exception of UPenn and new LMU in TN started from Land Grant agricultural universities. As a result, almost all pre-vet programs are based under the name "Animal Sciences", and that also draws a lot of farming/ranching students. As a result, most pre-vet students do learn to hunt and about the incredible amount of damage feral and wild animals can do. A lot of pre-vets have raised their own food in the past, and many more have hunted anything from deer and elk to coyotes and cougars. If it's wrong and outrageous for vets to kill a stray house cat, why isn't it wrong and outrageous for them to kill cougars?

So, why is this cat different? Cats do a tremendous amount of damage to the ecosystem. Sure, TNR may be the "cheapest" way to lower the feral cat burden, but the problem is that cheapest isn't always the best. When I volunteered at the wildlife clinic in Oregon, every single day we had at least one intake of a bird, squirrel, etc. that had been cat or dog caught. And Corvallis is not even a large town! I personally don't think a pet's life is worth more than wildlife's life. I've seen far too many birds die from infections and stress from being injured by pet cats. Cats kill more birds every year than all other diseases and injuries combined! In addition, owners that let cats wander allow them to pick up parasites from prey or diseases from other cats.

I feel sorry for the owners, but they should have kept the cat inside. It may have only been missing for a day, but if you scroll through the "memorial" page on facebook it has a ton of pictures with the cat clearly outdoors. Cats wander. And wandering cats are in danger, not just from people, but cars, predators, other cats, etc.

I understand that people think that their cats "need" to be able to wander, but they really don't. We have no issues with 5 cats indoors, and all of my family keeps strictly indoor cats with no issues. With that said, I've also always asked why it's culturally appropriate for a cat to wander when dogs aren't allowed to do so. Sure, large dogs may pose a larger threat to people, but even Chihuahuas will be picked up by animal control and you can't honestly say that Chihuahuas are capable of being more of a threat than cats are. I really think that cats should be treated like any other pets that are outdoors unrestrained, they should be taken to animal control and have owners allowed to come get them for a boarding fee, and owners need to be told to keep them indoors.

Should she have used a bow and arrow? No, though bows and arrows are almost instantaneous like gunshot wounds which IS an approved emergency euthanasia method by the AVMA. Should the vet have bragged about it? No, never. Taking an animals life is never a noble thing, but especially so when the animal is young and healthy. And it may not have been her purpose, but she likely saved many more lives, be it baby bunnies, birds, lizards, etc. unintentionally. Why are wildlife lives valued less than pets that can be properly restrained if owners were more responsible?

Just my two cents.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:26 pm

^^I agree with you 100%, Meaghan. Like I said, it was bad taste to post the photo, and gloating over it is not right (imo). Also the need to check out city ordinances and to actually determine what you're allowed to do to a feral animal. Also should have verified it was feral first.

But like I said, the actually act of her killing the animal does not bother me. It's euthanasia. And this was instant. It's not like that other woman (you may or may not have heard of her) who is being investigated by the police since her pictures have been circulating around all the reptile groups--she burned a snake alive and is laughing about it and taking pictures--that's sick and inhumane. If she smashed its head, and the death was instantaneous.... still stupid, because native snakes aren't damaging the environment, and they're breaking the law anyway by doing it; but it would have been done through ignorance and the animal would not have suffered.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is this vet is getting a lot of flak for no reason--EXCEPT for the way in which she reacted to the situation which, coming from a vet, I can definitely see how society would look at that as something inappropriate to do. I don't like that she gloats over it and laughs, but if it was legal to do, it was an instant death--then I don't see a problem with what she did. Just how she responded afterwards.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:33 pm

So what you're saying is you would feel the same way if it was someone's pet dog hanging from that arrow? That whatever, it was a stray, or someone was "stupid enough" to let it outside, so it's okay to kill it for fun? I think you're both missing the point at why people are upset about this, and you're making it seem like it's no big deal that an animal was shot in the head with a projectile and probably DIDN'T have an instant, painless death. You're also both insinuating that this particular cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, which you don't know. If my Namira or Emo somehow got out the back or front door and I was unable to catch her, slipped her collar and then a few hours later I find out someone killed her like that, would you expect me to feel "okay" about it because the person who killed her did it "painlessly"? "Someone shot my dog in the head, but I'm okay with it because she didn't suffer. Whatever." No.

Does it even say anywhere in any article that the cat died instantly?

There's a reason people don't shoot game animals in the head, and it's not just because they don't want a hole in the hide when they get the head mounted as a trophy. Not only can projectiles deflect off of bone at even a short distance and cause a painful wound (which is why you're taught to aim at UNPROTECTED organs, like lungs and the heart, at the right angles) but you'd have to have either a pretty damned powerful bow or be very, very close to pierce a skull. This isn't the movies where every head-shot is an instant kill, and she definitely isn't Rambo. Then why would she take that risk to make a possibly very painful death for this cat? Oh right, because she doesn't care. You do also realize people usually hunt game animals not purely for sport but to also EAT THEM, right? And they usually do it without the thought in their head "all of these animals need to die at my hands because I don't like that they exist".

Shooting a domestic cat in the head for kicks and giggles is NOT the same thing as hunting. It's also NOT okay to shoot a cougar just because you think all cougars should die, and take happy little pictures of yourself with the corpse afterward. Same thing how it's NOT okay to kill wolves because you're under the false assumption that they destroy cattle herds and eat small children.

Sorry not sorry, I don't think she's justified in killing it for fun. You KNOW she didn't kill it because she thought it was the "most humane" thing to do. She killed it because she clearly thinks "the only good stray is a DEAD one, and I take JOY in killing them as if animals' lives have no value". I don't think she learned that in vet school.

What she did is wrong on a most likely legal, but also a moral standpoint. It doesn't matter if the cat was an outdoor cat, if it belonged to someone, she just murdered someone's pet on purpose.

This woman had NO idea and no WAY to know where this cat came from, if it was spayed/neutered, or anything else. She aimed and fired without thinking or caring. I don't see how you can be okay with that.

Return to “NEWS”