PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

And how did he THINK the story would end?!?

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

DeweysMom

And how did he THINK the story would end?!?

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Every day, I'm reminded that stupid people outnumber the smart ones...

I was very upset to read this article in our local newspaper about some idiot who kept an illegal raccoon as a pet for years who then bit him, and he called the game commission to report the bite. WTH?!? And now he's upset the raccoon the game commission came out and shot it?! Just how did he think it would end? :wall:

http://www.eveningsun.com/news/ci_28912650/adams-county-man-mourns-lucky-his-pet-raccoon
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
GitaBooks

Re: And how did he THINK the story would end?!?

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Its so frustrating, I know.
I guess he panicked, maybe he was worried he would get rabies.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 am

sad story of a stupid people.
the last person to call is the pgc :roll:

there are many people that do take in wild animals, then flaunt them everywhere. that is stupid.
but, to call the pgc from a bite, thats beyond stupid.

the other problem with keeping a wild raccoon, most vets will not neuter or spay them.
that leaves the owner with an aggressive raccoon. the article stated he was kept in a a cage,
wonder for how long. mixing an intact animal with small cages is only asking for problems.
however, even if fixed, keeping a raccoon or any animal in small cages is trouble.

the hard part is when people do find a very young raccoon, is to leave it there. we know it will die.
calling the game commission is just an instant death sentence for a baby.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:49 am

the last person to call is the pgc

Yeah, why in the world would anyone do that? One of the first things you find out if you're keeping (or thinking of keeping) a wild animal is that it's an extremely good possibility should the PGC find out, the animal will most likely be destroyed.

the other problem with keeping a wild raccoon, most vets will not neuter or spay them.
that leaves the owner with an aggressive raccoon. the article stated he was kept in a a cage,

Maybe you missed it, Pat, but it did say in the article:
Lucky would play with the family dog and go for rides in Fickes' truck. "He was part of the family," Fickes said. Fickes said his raccoon did have a cage but was also free to roam around the house for most of the day. "He was a kind animal," he said. "Safety was never an issue with Lucky."

I just don't understand what would possess this man to report the bite to the PGC. He easily could have been treated at any medical facility and used any number of reasons for the bite wound (ie feral cat bite, wild (whatever) mammal bite, etc). If he was worried about the possibility of rabies, this reason likely would have instigated the typical protocol of rabies treatment.

I'm just sad another innocent animal lost its life because of a human's ignorance and stupidity - especially the human that supposedly loved him like family. I'll just never understand... icon_confused.gif
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Lucky would play with the family dog and go for rides in Fickes' truck.

guess, I assumed he meant out of his house :red-face:

the fact, he didn't couldn't get him fixed created a problem. wonder how small the cage was and how long he was in the house the family and dogs. I wouldn't even think of caging any animal at night or as needed.

Wonder how hard he got bit. yep, I agree, if he needed care for his bite, he could have easily said it was a feral cat,
or even a wild raccoon from somewhere else.

I just don't understand what would possess this man to report the bite to the PGC.

I heard many stupid things in the past, but, this one takes the cake.

If Lucky was in house and never outside in contact with wild animals, the chances of rabies are slim to none.
too many people compare captive animals to wild animals.

Long time ago, I was at my friends house, she had some baby raccoons and baby black bear and too many dogs.
pgc got wind of it.they killed the baby raccoons and the bear cub. took her dogs. fined her.
she was all over the news media. of course some of the media went overboard with their stories.
geez, it looked like someone committed a murder there, cops, game comm, news media. all over the place there.
I offered to take in the bear cub (add it to my permit) but, they wouldn't do it.

I just wish some of these states would allow a wild raccoon, maybe under some type of further supervision :shrug:
but, on another note, there are people that take them in, and put them in small cages and leave them there icon-sad
I heard that before. sad. I would rather see the animal dead rather than being confined in a small cage for most of it's life.

I think because of these strict regulations, there a alot of people that do take in wild animals,sad, cause many can't get vet care. if the game comm would loosen up a bit, at least they would know who has them, and ensure they are being cared for properly.

Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Why the hell wouldn't they release the infant bear to you? The only reason I can imagine
is that someone is making money off those antiquated rabies tests. Vile, loathsome,
intrusive. Land of the free indeed. Ugh, this sickens me.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:36 am

at the "crime of the scene" there was also a humane officer (a stupid one) she grabbed the bear cub, and flaunted in front of the cameras. that was after she put more lipstick on and combed her hair etc for the camera. :roll:

when this bitch was done showing off, the game officer took the cub from her.the cub bit the game officer. (not hard)
the poor cub was scared. since the cub bit the game officer, the pgc first and easy solution was to kill the cub for rabies.
we know how that is tested. :icon-frown: I told them, the chances of bears getting rabies are slim to none.
it is very rare bears get rabies in the wild. but, they didn't believe me.

after the fact, I called and complained about miss showoff. pgc was flooded with calls for killing the cub.
finally, the bitch got fired.

A message to anyone else that reads this post: if anyone has any type of wildlife illegally. keep it at home, and don't tell any one about it. Even if someone has a legal one, keep it on your property and don't take it out in public.
The less local people that know, the better. It just take one person to complain or for the animal to bite, or think no one should keep a "wild animal". We can never predict how animals will be with someone different.

The other possible issue would be if someone would find out where one lives, a peta jerk or a wanna-be, could attempt to poison the animal, or release it............... I just heard on the news several different times, there have been dogs and other animals that were poisoned :cry:

I have also heard of someone did this with some exotics. in fact, someone had a legal brown bear, and some stupid person
released that bear. (the bear was never found) Last year, some idiot opened one of the doors to my bear pen :roll: I now have a lock on the door. I live in a rural area. lots of stupid people out there. :roll:

this original post about the raccoon owner calling the pgc, is beyond stupid.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:02 am

susuki5678 wrote:Even if someone has a legal one, keep it on your property and don't take it out in public.
gclub มือถือ

I 100% agree. it's also best to not let too many people know you have an exotic pet. even the enclosure should be out of site.

I have heard many horror stories of people taking their foxes, raccoon out for walks, let them socialize with the too many people. it just takes one person to start trouble, or even go as far as giving them poison.

just recently, there have been a lot of dogs that have been poisoned in pa lately. icon-sad

I can't say this enough, if someone wants an exotic animal PLEASE do your research first. which also means, a new owners should 100% understand their behavior, proper care and the proper safety of the animal.

Return to “NEWS”