In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boy falls in Gorilla Enclosure

Postby Ash » Sat May 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Anybody else see this??

A boy fell in to the Cincinnati Zoos' gorilla enclosure and was tossed around violently by a gorilla. The staff had to shoot and kill the gorilla in order to save the boy's life. The boy sustained bad injuries but was taken to the hospital.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gorilla-shot-dead-cincinnati-zoo-after-child-climbs-enclosure-n582211

I'm VERY relieved the child is going to be okay. How terrifying... He was conscious through the whole thing. This must have been traumatizing...

I have two problems with this!

1) Obviously the parents not watching their child. That being said, I can totally understand a kid getting away from his parents, and I don't know the situation. Maybe the kid was mentally disabled and wild (I could see my autistic sister getting away no matter how much supervision she had). Who knows. That brings me to my next point...

2) What is WRONG with these AZA enclosures!? How in the world are kids able to get in, fall in, jump in, etc. A private owner would never be allowed to have an enclosure where a person could have easy access to fall in. And can you imagine if something like that DID happen in the private sector?? They'd be done for. But AZA (the "epitome" of animal keeping, ....) gets off the hook no problem despite their many failures.

I don't know the situation with the parents and the child, so I reserve judgment on what happened there. But as for the zoo? I'm just shaking my head. Poor show, AZA. Get your act together. Thanks to your failed attempt at a safe enclosure, a critically endangered gorilla was shot dead.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boy falls in Gorilla Enclosure

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 pm

I agree, It's not like the cases where some fool dangled their kid over the barrier and dropped them. Kids can be super fast and it was said to be a short barrier. You can't protect them from never getting hurt running off or being stupid. Maybe they were reading the info plaque or something. It's supper easy for a kid to slip away unless you leash them then you get people criticizing parents that do that too. A kid slipping free from you for a few moments isn't neglect it's life. It's called being human and not perfect machines that can foresee everything. Now if they just ignored it and watched as the kid climbed over and then plunged off the ledge and did nothing the whole time or walked off and left him alone that would be neglectful but I kind of doubt that.

Sounds like the zoo is very much at fault. If a kid can climb over a barrier in just a few moments it's not good enough. And yeah a private just USDA place wold not get away with that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Exactly. I feel like everybody is blaming the parents for what happened. Always bothers me when people blame the parents in cases like this. That's the last thing they need.

Still, sad story. But I'm so happy the kid is going to make it. I can't imagine watching that...
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 am

my opinion is I blame both, the zoo and the parents.

a 4 year old should be supervised at every minute. I have seen parents even in stores, that just don't pay attention to their kids, the kids would be running around, getting into things, bothering shoppers etc. There are a lot of people that just ignore their kids and let them do what they want.

a 4 year old, should always be right along side their parent/s, hang on to their hand. if they can't control them, then leave them home or like mary said, put a leash on them.... how many times have we have heard of kids be abducted from stores. :roll:
when my son was that young, he was by side every second.

now, on another note, the zoo is responsible too.. they should take every safety precaution for mishaps like this.
all the animals there should be very secure and checked every day.

also, Ash, your right, if anything like this would happen to private owners, we would lose our animals, get fined etc.

personally, I think the zoo and the parents were at fault. (mostly the zoo)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Since it came out from witnesses that the kids kept saying he was going to jump in the enclosure before it happened I now do hold the parents more responsible BUT the lynch them mentality that the parents are some how evil villains that must be severely punished is still way too much. I'm sure she didn't think he would actually do it, and was telling him not to. We are all humans and make mistakes. No parent has ever raised a kid that never had an accident or got into trouble and is perfect and under complete control at all times, it's not possible. And if you try you'll be called a helicopter mom and still labeled a villain. There are no villains here, just humans and an accident, a tragic one but still an accident.

The closet thing to a villain here is the zoo. This is the zoo that has helped get exotics banned and taken from their owners in Ohio but has escapes and incidents like this and get away with it.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun May 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Wish I could get mad, blame somebody. It'd certainly feel better than knowing that once again,
human BS creates death and tragedy for non humans. How you have an enclosure that can be penetrated by even the wiliest 4 year old is a mystery to me. If the environment is unsafe for
idiots, it's unsafe period, and shouldn't be in use. Another innocent primate pays the price for this nonsense. Too sad and tired to get mad.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon May 30, 2016 3:00 am

I may well be part of the problem, but in my opinion, every opportunity SHORT of killing an endangered animal should have been taken to rescue the child. Zoos, parks, and nature preserves should be for the safety of the animals first. They should be responsible for the reasonable safety precautions, but when or if the precautions are deliberately overcome, the animal shouldn't be the one to pay the price of human idiocy.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon May 30, 2016 4:47 am

That's my issue, that the consequences invariably fall on the animals these businesses supposedly exist to protect. This is where I chafe on animal ownership, as opposed to guardianship, stewardship, where there is some promise of responsibility to the ward.

A human 4 year old and an adult ape should never come into contact, shouldn't be able
to occur. We created the situation, we benefited from the situation. Why does the ape
suffer the consequences for our stupidity/oversight/thoughtlessness?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Yeah, after reading the second article that came out, I do blame the parents a bit more. I guess the boy didn't sustain any injuries either, which is contrary to what the first one said to.

It's all very sad. Especially since it does sound like the gorilla wasn't going to hurt the boy.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Also I guess that this zoo had a kid fall into the same gorilla enclosure in the 90s, so leaves you to wonder.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm

My boyfriend told me about this yesterday and what he heard was, apparently they didn't want to use a tranquilizer gun because they feared the sound of the gun, plus the amount of time it would take to actually put the gorilla to sleep would compromise the boy's safety. They thought the sound might spook it and cause it to become aggressive and/or the effects of the drug would be too slow to save the boy before he got hurt or killed.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Yeah, tranquilizers wouldn't have worked in time. And from what I've read about them, it hurts to get shot with one--it's like getting shot, for crying out loud, just not as bad as a gun. But I've read it can break bone if you shoot it in the wrong place. So you wouldn't want to risk an upset and angry gorilla with a kid. The decision the zoo made to shoot it really was the only option at that point. The staff did exactly what needed to be done in order to get the boy away safely.

Were the parents being irresponsible? Sure, just as irresponsible as parents with their kids in grocery stores. It just happened to be a zoo setting. But stuff happens. Kids can be crazy, and it can be impossible to keep an eye on them at all times. So while, yes, the parents are partly responsible, you can't expect them to be 100% perfect "hawk-eye" parents. Otherwise the world would be full of perfect people.

I still think it's very sad. I think the anger the public feels towards the parents is not justified, even though you could partly blame them.

You can't have "perfect" parents keeping watch on their kids every single second, and you can't have a perfect enclosure.

I'm not saying anytime someone breaks into an enclosure it's the zoo's fault either. It's just that it seems to happen "regularly" at that zoo, and the zoo would destroy any private owner that this happened to. So hypocrites all the way around. The zoo's mentality is, "It's okay if kids fall into our enclosures every once in a while, or if accidents happen--but heaven forbid it happens anywhere else. Because if it dares happen at a non-accredited zoo, we will come take all your animals away." Seriously, that's pretty much the mentality many AZA zoos have... Not all, of course, but many.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Just so everyone can see what actual bad parenting looks like
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-ho ... d=25077617
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Wow... They shouldn't have any kids... Really hope authorities find him.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Ash wrote:Wow... They shouldn't have any kids... Really hope authorities find him.

They just found him - about a week after he was lost/left
http://cbsn.ws/1ZhO4a1

Return to “NEWS”