PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Boy falls in Gorilla Enclosure

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Boy falls in Gorilla Enclosure

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:21 pm

While I feel bad for the boy, I blame the mother and the zoo.

While yes, parents can't be watching their children every second, witnesses said that the boy kept insisting to his mother that he was going into the enclosure. She should have taken him to another enclosure right then and there or atleast explained to him how going in the enclosure was a really bad idea and how dangerous wild animals can be.

Secondly, I blame the zoo. Children should not be able to have easy access to animal exhibits whether by falling in, jumping in, crawling in,etc.
There was also that case at a different zoo a few years back where a boy fell into an African Wild Dog exhibit and was mauled to death.
Both the zoo where that happened and the zoo where this just happened were big, AZA "accredited" zoos that are considered acceptable by most of the public (except for of course AR people and people that are anti-zoo or anti-wild-animals-in-capitivity for any reason). If you look at privately owned small zoos run by individuals, things like this rarely, if ever, happen, because they have to follow such strict standards making sure that no one has access to the animals/exhibits. Clearly, AZA and these so called accredited zoos should do some serious reevaluation of acceptable and safe exhibit design.

Though I admittedly love going to the big accredited zoos just as much as the small ones, I never liked AZA anyway, and not just because they are anti-exotic, but because they are literally a monopoly that thinks they are the only ones that have rights to have wild animals in captivity. And many states have laws that you must be specially AZA accredited (none of the other zoo accreditation companies like ZAA, etc. are mentioned) in order to be able to start your own zoo in the state. And we see what good being accredited by AZA does now. Apparently squat for the safety of both the public and the animals because not only do the humans that fall/jump/crawl,etc. into the exhibit pay, so do the animals, not only with a bad reputation for doing what only came naturally to them and not knowing any better, but sometimes with their lives as well.

Since this child, unlike the one from the other incident, survived the animal attack, we can only hope he learned his lesson and will never try to crawl into an animal exhibit again or that his mother won't take him to the zoo again if necessary.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 pm

"Past history of Ohio exotic animal ownership includes a law passed in 2012, SB310, which the Cincinnati Zoo had representation testifying in support of the rules - but exempted themselves, as an AZA accredited zoo. If the Cincinnati Zoo had adhered to rules they supported for private owners to follow, Harambe would be alive today and the child not able to gain entrance to the gorilla enclosure. No zoo, a family fun destination geared toward children, should have enclosures easily accessible by a four year old child, unassisted. "
http://www.examiner.com/article/cincinn ... nimal-laws
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:07 am

Working with little kids though every single day, I understand them better. They say the weirdest things. Sometimes over and over. It gets exasperating, and I wouldn't really believe them if they said they were going to climb in our alligator cage. I'd just tell them off and move on, emphasizing that it would be a bad idea. So I can understand the mom not taking him seriously at all in the matter.

That being said, I have no idea how this kid managed to slip away, go under the bushes, and sidle his way into the enclosure (that's what it sounds like from what I've read)--which sounds like it took some time and effort. As a parent, I probably would have noticed that. But I don't know what had her attention at the time, and can't blame her if she were looking elsewhere or was preoccupied with another kid.

While I don't care for her recent stances on primates (wanting to give them human rights), Jane Goodall did write to the zoo. She said the gorilla was expressing protective behaviors over the boy and was not being aggressive from what she saw in the video. So it's very sad and unfortunate that the gorilla got shot when he was just curious and protecting the boy. The shouts and yells of the people did not help the situation and probably confused him more.

Jane Goodall
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/news/a59225/jane-goodall-on-harambe-zoo-killing/

EDIT: And here's the video of the gorilla and boy an onlooker took.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWYxTnWs4H4

As for the kid in Japan, I'm so glad he got found. I can't believe any parent would put their kid in such a dangerous situation like that! I can understand driving home with a misbehaving 12 year old, stopping a block away from your house, and telling him to get out and walk the rest of the way. But to leave your kid in a forest supposedly full of bears alone? (A kid that is FOUR years old!!!) I wonder if they will be looked into by the Japanese equivalent of DCFS...
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 am

There was a blog article by another lady there that said they saw the boy past the barrier but he went so fast they didn't have time to stop him going over. So really seems like he was just super fast. At the same time the mom was calling out asking where he was and that he had been right there with his hand in her back pocket a moment ago. So they had to tell her what happened. She and the lady's husband were both wanting to go in after him but she talked them down, and really they'd have broken a leg or two and just made things worse if they did, but see some people saying how they or any good parents would have been in there after him.

Yes clearing the area would have helped but since they didn't, regardless of his intentions, it was a danger. Dragging him through the water then climbed up the that middle section with him. They did try to call and entice him away like they did the females at first but it didn't work.

--
From the article it doesn't sound like it. Said kids don't have the same rights and protections there :(

IMO, They should at least be billed for all the search and rescue costs instead then.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 am

this was on my news a couple times. from what I see in the video, looks like the gorilla was protecting him at first.
then when everyone started yelling, maybe the gorilla thought he was protecting the child from the people :shrug:

Personally, I find the parents at fault. a parent should have the hand of their child at all times in crowds of people.
personally, I am sick of seeing some parents that just totally ignore the their kids in a store, or anywhere.
the zoo should have all animals very secure for stupid parents.

On another note, why is it OK for mishaps at a zoo, but, not OK to even own exotics in private hands. :twisted:
These laws are outrageous. Makes me sick to see so many animals "stolen" from private owners. I can understand if the animal was being abused.
but, when the animal has good care in the hands of a private owner, is disgusting that they are stolen. I have seen and heard of when the animals are stolen from private owners, their are cop cars all over, guns pulled. guess these idiots don't have the balls to focus on murder's and rapists.
the word "stupid and coward" comes to mind when they steal peoples animals.

The parents aren't filing a law suit, which tells me they were negligent. again, the zoo should have the their animals taken, just like private owners.
it's all about money and greed..

I just wish thousands of people would speak up, keep up the pressure every day, file complaints, against this theft and killing of innocent animals.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 am

So, I just saw on the news this morning that the zoo is closing the gorilla exhibit for a few months while they do construction to extend the barrier. At least it won't happen again if this new barrier is any better. However, the first barrier should have been good enough that this should've never happened in the first place. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 pm

If it only took the kids a few seconds, then can't blame the mom at all. One article made it sound like it took him a while to get there (even then, wouldn't really blame the mom), but if it took only a short amount of time, then I'm not sure how it's supposed to be her fault at all.

So sad about the kid in Japan. Really hope those parents rethink what's right and what's wrong to do to a child. And they better have to pay for the rescue effort. At least the story has the attention of people all over the world.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Sad to see such a beautiful and endangered animal get killed due to lax care on the zoo's part, but there wasn't really anything else they could've done at that point. icon_confused.gif

pat wrote:On another note, why is it OK for mishaps at a zoo, but, not OK to even own exotics in private hands. :twisted:
These laws are outrageous. Makes me sick to see so many animals "stolen" from private owners. I can understand if the animal was being abused.
but, when the animal has good care in the hands of a private owner, is disgusting that they are stolen. I have seen and heard of when the animals are stolen from private owners, their are cop cars all over, guns pulled. guess these idiots don't have the balls to focus on murder's and rapists.
the word "stupid and coward" comes to mind when they steal peoples animals.

The parents aren't filing a law suit, which tells me they were negligent. again, the zoo should have the their animals taken, just like private owners.
it's all about money and greed..

I just wish thousands of people would speak up, keep up the pressure every day, file complaints, against this theft and killing of innocent animals.

I thought the exact same thing. I wish people would band together to stop this blasphemy. (with exotic bans)
In NC, there are some cities in poverty and full of crime, and many schools are neglecting care of their students. But all our government cares about at the moment is making sure we pee in our designated bathrooms. :chair:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
urofan

Postby urofan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:54 pm

I think that the zoos need to understand that kids will always try and run up to the animals. I hope that the zoo will fix the gorilla enclosure so that kids can't get in the cage.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 am

The exhibit is currently closed and undergoing some changes to make it more kid-proof.

Return to “NEWS”