In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

10 secret truths of professional animal people

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:45 pm

https://theanimaldept.com/blogs/news/11 ... mal-people

1. Doing strenuous manual labor for years wreaks havoc on our bodies. Most of us have bad backs, bad joints, trick knees or worse by the time we hit 30.

2. Very little of what we do involves hanging out getting to play with the animals we have dedicated our lives to taking care of, but when we do have time for it, we definitely relish it!

3. It is probably the least glamorous, glamorous-sounding job. There is lots of poop scooping involved!

4. 90% of our wardrobe is work clothes. Maybe more.

5. There are very distinctive traits of people that choose to work with different groups of animals, and each group thinks the other is more crazy. Bird people, marine mammal people, big cat people, dog people... but truth is, we are all nuts!

6. We don't always have time to shower before we have to go out into public, and yes the smell can be noticeable, and yes, we are aware.

7. Working with animals isn't a job to us, we see it as a lifestyle. It becomes who we are, not just what we do.

8. We talk to our animals more than anyone else, what can I say, they are good listeners!

9. Building trusting relationships with wild animals is often accomplished by doing the cleaning and the care-taking for them. It is a non intrusive way to introduce yourself into their daily life, and you both learn the baseline of normal for each others behaviors.

10. It is a messy, stinky, thankless, time consuming, back breaking life, but we wouldn't want it any other way!
Juska

Re: 10 secret truths of professional animal people

Postby Juska » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:52 pm

#1 is why I didn't pursue a long-term career in grooming. I already have arthritis and tendonitis. It's not something you can do until retirement age. Not if you have any sort of health issues or are prone to them...
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:39 am

Haha,this is so true. More often than not I'm wearing ratty jeans and a T-shirt. Oh, and my silly rubber boots (leopard print!)!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:51 am

excellent post mary.

so very true, I too fit all 10. its a I new meaning for the "perfect 10" :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Totally agree with that. Especially having dirty clothes or hands when you're in a rush. : )
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Nice list. Number 2 would be why I decided against being a keeper and instead decided to try and pursue being either an animal trainer or a wildlife biologist/zoologist, though biologists/zoologists don't have much interactions with animals either, but atleast its not just janitor work like zoo-keeping.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “NEWS”