PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

More Anti-Propaganda

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpini

More Anti-Propaganda

Postby vulpini » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Your daily dose of anti-exotic propaganda!

https://www.thedodo.com/15-exotic-anima ... 37293.html

"but the quiet sadness on one such captive's face says it all." Ah, yes, because humans obviously know how to decode animal expressions. Maybe he looks a little off-put because...hmm...I don't know--his space is being invaded by strangers?

I think it's just amazing how one case of neglect (though, these animals look very well cared for. If the worst picture they have shows a lion in a cage up to regulation, what's so bad about that? Obviously they don't have much enrichment, but they look very well fed) /obviously/ means that all exotic owners are irresponsible, egotistic animal abusers :roll: :wall:

I /especially/ love the >>petition<<. I couldn't even read through it because the misinformation was suffocating.

What is Born Free's deal, anyways? I've heard a lot about them, and a lot of mixed opinions, but are they just a more ill-informed but less effective cousin to PETA or something?

And don't get me started on this: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=187&more=1

I'd love to see their valid, non-biased sources that back up the vast majority of their claims--oh wait, there aren't any because these are just over-exaggerated scare-tactic statements.

There are thousands of privately owned Bengals? ALL snakes and lizards pose a risk to humans?? Right. You better watch out for that green anole.

"By their very nature, exotic animals are dangerous. Although most exotic animals are territorial and require group interactions, an exotic pet typically is isolated and spends the majority of his/her day in a small enclosure unable to roam and express natural behaviors freely. These animals are time bombs waiting to explode." What sort of a statement is this?? What a gross generalization.

This would be like exotic people saying "All dogs are dangerous and pose a risk to humans. Every dog owner keeps their pet isolated outdoors tied to a chain because of the risk of an attack or injury--these dogs never get human interaction and are always kept in deplorable conditions" based on a handful of reports that back up this claim. I'm sick of the double-standard AR nuts hold high. It's sickening because their scare-tactics convince thousands of people (and lawmakers!!) that exotics are, as they say, "'ticking time bombs waiting to explode.'"

:wall:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More Anti-Propaganda

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:26 pm

Born free is set up just to focus on being anti-exotic animals: pets, zoos, and other uses but mostly against pets. That is their sole reason to exist.

People often use their list of laws to see if it's legal to have a pet, the problem with that being they purposefully show things being more lenient than they are so they can push for more laws.This means they often show things being legal that aren't. Separate topic but never trust Born Free's info and don't assume an animal is legal because of it.

The one photo of the caracal's room is dirty though a quick shampoo could fix that. But fennecs are illegal in NV so there's a problem there just because it's illegal. The big cat's areas outside looked clean though. They always seize everything even if it's just a small issue with one or two animals. Kinda looks like they just fell behind and could have gone back to being good if they were offered a bit of help instead of criminal charges. Would be nice if we could go back to helping instead of condemning everyone as evil, and ripping animals from their home, if the care slips a bit.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 pm

Something I've wondered since joining but never enough to ask about is why our lists of legal animals--which you keep diligently up-to-date--is only accessible to people who join the forum. That seems like information it would be useful for casual visitos.

I think it's possible that Born Free are just a shoestring operation. At one when Massachusetts considered legalized sugar gliders, the bill was tabled for further study. It was revived and passed later in the same session, yet BornFree--as of two years after it passed, when I checked--still listed it as having been tabled. If they had the money that PETA and HSUS do, you'd think they would have known when it was reintroduced and rallied their supporters to oppose it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:55 pm

Born Free puts most of their weight behind ending big cats as the name is based on the movie Born Free.

I don't know. Pat did that. I didn't even remember it was members only. I've been linking people to it.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:15 am

It always saddens and angers me to see articles like this. Misinformation kills our pets...
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Oh look, another one! This one really infuriates me. It's asking people to ask state legislatures to STRENGTHEN anti-exotic animal laws through obviously photoshopped ads....I cannot STAND Born Free :roll: :cry: I'm pretty sure they just make up facts to support their "arguments"

https://www.thedodo.com/exotic-pets-sol ... 94477.html

How is this even possible? Because only 19 states have banned private ownership of exotic animals, it makes it easy to circumnavigate laws against acquiring them — and easy for breeders to make money.

Right, because it's so easy to get any exotic in any state with current laws. Do they realize that exotics are also things like parrots and technically rabbits, who need 'exotic' vets to treat them???

Return to “NEWS”