PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

update from Oaao.

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Re: update from Oaao.

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Online petitions are generally worthless. The powers that be do not care if you have millions of signatures. They just dont hold water.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 am

Lasergrl wrote:Online petitions are generally worthless. The powers that be do not care if you have millions of signatures. They just dont hold water.

I am not really sure about the petitions. I would think everything that we do is better than just sitting back and do nothing.

a while back, I talked to someone in the senators office, and I asked them if they take online petitions in account, she claimed yes. but, that was from an employee..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am

Back when the ban bill was going through, I was told online petitions mean nothing, because the signatures do not come from the voting area, and it was too hard to prove they werent duplicates. What works, is when people physically go to where these bans are being discussed during the hearings, (like we did in columbus a couple years back) and to make phone calls and sent written letters (written letters work better then e-mail, at least they did then). Putting pressure on them is what is needed. Now signing petitions online isnt going to hurt, unless people really think they work. Because then people will think they did enough by just e-signing them. They may be positive in that they can make people aware of whats going on.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

lg,

as I mentioned, I have online petitions. but, the way to go with that is,
print them all out, send that and any hard copies of petitions to all senators, reps and gov.

I did that several years ago. but, that alone don't work, but, I would think it would help. I did get a few letters back from the senators though.
it was more of a neurtal response. all this is extremely hard to do alone.
that is where I was at then, all alone icon-sad

I hope to try again, even though there are not many people that will back me up with it. I wanted to get people to call, email, write in conjuntion with the petitions. but, here in pa, seems many people are afraid of the game commision, because they bully people. therefore, it is hard to find a very large group of people to keep the pressure going..

but, as we also know, there are probably, alot more people out there that thinks no one should own exotics, than there is that do. guess that is what is making it so hard. icon_confused.gif

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:04 pm

I just uploaded all the updates on oaao

http://oaao.us

trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Here is a response I got from Polly when I asked what I could do. Thought it might be useful for anyone else who's looking to help out. I'm thinking about maybe running a fundraiser of some sort here to help raise money, anyone have any suggestions? It's getting a little too cold for a car wash. :roll:

"Hello,

We are asking everyone to call the Governor's office. See http://oaao.us/files/hsus.html for the phone number and suggestions on what to say when you call.

Also, memberships are always welcome and appreciated: http://oaao.us/files/new-member.html. We are currently running some ads in two major newspapers here in Ohio, both of which are very expensive. Any donations will help.

We have members in many states, not just Ohio, because they recognize the need to keep Ohio's animal industry open. Many of them do business here in Ohio; and if Ohio gets shut down, it directly affects them.

Thanks very much for contacting us,

Polly Britton
Legislative Agent"
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 pm

maybe we can donate things for them to auction off at Mt Hope? I could do something with woodburning. Anyone with a talent or extra animal supplies could donate.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I donated my time and expense for their website.

I do know sometimes they need someone to help sell their products at the auction/s.

the best thing to do is ask polly, and tell them your suggestions and/or get ideas.

please pass the word, I would also think, this would apply to other states and other animals icon_confused.gif

I just got this message from polly:
Warning to Big Cat Owners in Ohio

A film crew supposedly from Oxy Productions in Britain is making the rounds in Ohio and is reportedly headed to southeastern Ohio for their next "filming". BEWARE -- this is not a friendly production. They are representing themselves as doing a segment for Animal Planet, but while at a facility in Ohio today, it was discovered they're actually filming for "Fatal Attractions". When the owner realized it was a set-up, the crew was ordered to leave, but not before they were overheard to say they were due in Chillicothe tomorrow.

OAAO members should refuse to allow these people on your property; and if you know of other big cat owners in your area, please make them aware of this. With what's going on in Ohio right now -- the Governor's plan to ban ownership of these animals -- we don't need to help these people shut down our industry.

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 pm

The donation idea is a good one. I know when I went to the swap, they had vendors selling all kinds of "goodies", from animal feed to clothing for them. One good idea might be to sell 2 day supplies of bird & animal food & bedding for those impulse buyers.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:32 pm

The "2 day animal kit" is a good idea. They can also have caresheets for whatever animals they are geared toward. Things like bottles, milk replacer, crates, deworming meds, really anything that is needed including instructions. Could even include on the bottom of caresheets this web adress and something to tie it in to oaao.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:05 am

These are all very smart ideas. icon_biggin.gif

If it were not for the internet, I wouldn't know about most of these laws being passed. The crowd of people at an event like that are those who have exotics in their life so they're already on "our side" for stopping ban laws. I imagine the Mt. Hope auction isn't very happy about this as well, it would kill most of their revenue on the exotic auction days. Perhaps we could speak with them and ask to set up a booth of some sort while there, along with placing fliers of information inside items that we sold. I think right now the best thing we can do is get the word out about what is happening. The more people that know what's going on and try to speak up about it, the more of a chance we've got. It's worth a shot, anyways.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:24 am

OAAO always has a booth there and they never have enough volunteers to sit at it.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

Count me in in this fight, I've become quite good at letter writing and I will call that State House # from my office today, at least another voice in opposition to this garbage. Animal rights groups are like a slow growing cancer, they won't quit until they destroy each and every one of our rights to own exotics. If this passes, then what will stop other States?
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Well I just hung up with Strickland's office, all they said was thank you very much for calling and before I shut my cellphone down, I heard the woman say "Well there you go, yadda yadda." I had to make the call quick before my boss walked in so I didn't hear what she had to say. What I said was that I was calling in opposition to that SB # and also that I was an exotic animal owner and I supported the industry but that I was not a constituent and was calling from out of state, so maybe that meant nothing. I asked for my voice to be counted. All the exotic animal owners would have to physically make known their presence as in maybe picket lines, something to draw unwanted attention to Strickland's office. I mean like a radical effort, I hope this can be done.

Return to “NEWS”