PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Lions extinct by 2020

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Lions extinct by 2020

Postby Trefoil » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:06 pm

I read somewhere last night that lions are expected to be extinct in the wild ( at least I think it was only in the wild) by 2020.
Lasergrl

Re: Lions extinct by 2020

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:21 pm

And they will be followed closely by those in captivity as long as every state bans big cats in private hands. Do people really think there is enough room in zoos to keep the gene pool healthy? Seems the only hope, is captive breeding, public AND private.
ippyriddle

Postby ippyriddle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 pm

It seems to be so =/ It's sad.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Sanctuaries and centres for such animals in such places of the world have always struggled.

The people with the desire and skills to care for the animals - lions in this case - come from universities and natural preservation groups elsewhere in the world. The animals are endangered in their country of origin because the people governing and living in that country simply do not care to preserve them or their habitat, industrialization is often the major factor. Many times it's been a matter of the local society poaching or driving away the animals intentionally without a thought of what negative consequence could possibly occur from doing so.
People from a developed nation who step in to help the situation for the wild life aren't often met with a positive reception. The african locals likely value industry more than they value a bunch of lions - really who can blame them? Our continent may lack the amount of wild untouched land africa has but look at all the luxuries we are privy to! We have better transportation, fresh water, agriculture, human waste, healthcare, education, defence and law network all at the small cost of a bunch of trees. Most people in places like South Africa want what we have, and to hell with beasts like lions. What do a bunch of big cats do for the africans anyways? If anything they hinder the country's progress in the eyes of its officials and society.

Having said that, South Africa isn't the worst place that this is happening. At least preservation programs are being run there with some success and little opposition from the locals. It likely wasn't easy getting them started but at least they exist and continue to run.

Though I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your hypothesis was correct.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:41 am

As much as I love lions and hope to be able to keep one some day, ever since I saw a segment by George Carlin, I can't get worried about extinction. He just reminded me of facts I've learned in biology class. Facts like; over 90% (I'm pretty sure the number is around 99%) of the species that have ever been on the earth, are extinct. As George so aptly put it, '...we didn't kill them all!'. Also, it's estimated that 25 species go extinct every day, with or without our interference. I was then discussing this with my housemate who is in third year marine biology and is also familiar with George Carlin's work. She was talking about the fact that the whole point of evolution is that animals who can't cope with the changing environment, die out. Despite the people who like to say that we, and everything we create, is unnatural, we aren't. We are just as much a part of the environment as trees and lions and so they need to adapt, or they're going top die out. Now, that isn't justification for us to go out and destroy habitats, but it means that we don't have to get all bent out of shape when a species go extinct. The thing is, although we may not have discovered them, there is probably already a bunch of new species that have come to be as a result of evolution, even in the last 5 years. The earth is a self-correcting system.

Here is the George Carlin segment; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948Nm34arfA

I personally don't like the conservation argument for exotic pets. I think it's a shield that we hide behind because we're scared that we don't ACTUALLY deserve the right to own exotic animals. The thing is, we do! Once we draw similarities between owning an exotic pet, and owning a domestic dog (Domestic dogs have killed people too, animal shelters are also full of domestic dogs, etc.), we'll realise that we have just as much of a right to owning exotic pets, as dog owners have, to own dogs. We need to firmly believe that if we're going to convince other people.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 am

We DO have a right to own them, but at the same time, we are also the only ones that can keep a broad enough gene pool. This isnt just unique to exotics. Domestic breeds go extinct all the time. American Livestock breed conservancy has a list of critically endangered breeds. Now the argument for this, is that untill we find a market for the breeds they will be wiped out. they need to be eaten to be saved.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:07 pm

I don't look on conservation as an argument for exotic pets. I look on it as a separate issue that comes up because the people that keep exotic pets are the same people that are going to be worried and thus involved in conservation efforts. I disagree with your point of view, verali, on several fronts. It would be different, maybe at least, if we weren't responsible for wiping out the lions. But you are going to have a hard row to hoe in finding any expert that will agree with you that we aren't. Evolution takes a long time and can't correct our mistakes. We are in the process of destroying our environment, do you really believe that's not true?
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:23 pm

I recommend you check out the link I posted above. I can't really explain it any better than Geroge Carlin does.

Yes, we're destoying our own environment and we will have to deal with the consequences, namely, having to live in it. Once we're gone though, the earth will get better; the plants will regrow, new species will evolve, the earth will recover because it's a self-correcting system. As Carlin points out; the earth has been here for 4.5 billion years and we've been here for, 100,000, maybe 200,000 and we've only been involved in industry for around 200 years. It's incredibly egotistical of us to think that we are a threat to the planet when the planet has been through ice ages, volcanoes, tectonic plate shifts, reversal of poles, immense heating (part of global warming is actually natural, we just have helped it go a little quicker). Basically we need to stop pretending that we're trying to 'save the planet' when, in truth, the planet is doing fine and all we're trying to do is make sure we have a clean place to live.

Again, I urge you to watch the video, as it does a much better job of explaining than I do.

Return to “NEWS”