https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tony the Tiger-Please help keep him at home

In the News - Articles/Links/TV/etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Tony the Tiger-Please help keep him at home

Postby Legend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 am

http://www.savetony.com/

Hey everyone, there is a gentlemen in Louisiana who runs the 'Tiger Truck Stop'. He has a Tiger named Tony whose requirements far exceed any legal standards. He is constantly under attack by AR activist who are trying to strip him from his home.

There is a video on the website that shows his accomadations to be quite comfortable. If anyone would sign the petition it would be great to show you support. I'm sure we all know what it feels like to be hounded and slandered by AR activist.

Thanks everyone, hoping for your support. Mr. Sandlin is such a sweet fella.
amyers

Re: Tony the Tiger-Please help keep him at home

Postby amyers » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:04 am

I've been meaning to ask this, but why is Tony being targeted more than anyone else who has tigers?
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:11 am

I think it's because there are more excuses to make up for why he should be removed (diesel fumes, noise, light, people), and that he's open to the public and not on private property.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Legend

Postby Legend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Juska is correct. It is because he is out in the open to be shared with everyone. There is no charge to see him so they need to get off their high horse when saying that he is nothing but a marketing gimmick.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:03 pm

The thing is he IS a marketing gimmick. I mean look at the name of the place 'Tiger truck stop' with the tiger gifts in the gift shop and what not but, being a gimmick does not mean he is not a well cared for gimmick.
He does bring in customers which bring money to the community so it is a good thing, his enclosure does look nice and spacious and he does not look at all unhealthy.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Legend

Postby Legend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 pm

The point I was trying to make(perhaps inproperly worded), was that he is well cared for and loved animal. Not 'just' a way to make money.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 pm

amyers wrote:I've been meaning to ask this, but why is Tony being targeted more than anyone else who has tigers?

Because he's famous and the sanctuaries and AR orgs can make more money off him than a no name tiger that might actually need help.
JBG

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm

It indeed looks like he's well cared for and not abused.

However, query, if Tony "loves" his owners so much why are they not in the enclosure with him?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

Just because the video doesn't show him going in with the tiger doesn't mean he doesn't. It sounds like the guy has a lot of experience with tigers. It talks about him breeding them--which would mean he would have to get close enough to pull the kits from a protective momma tiger.

He must be able to go in and clean/feed as well.

Also, there is nothing wrong with keeping an animal for display. If it is being treated well and is content in its situation, then it can be there to look at. Heck, that's what zoos are all about. Many zoos have limited keeper-animal interaction. Does that mean the animals are not happy since they're not well-socialized with humans?

But I agree--he does look very well-cared for. I think he is in a good place as well! :mrgreen:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
amyers

Postby amyers » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:43 pm

JBG wrote:It indeed looks like he's well cared for and not abused.

However, query, if Tony "loves" his owners so much why are they not in the enclosure with him?

I know someone with pet tigers, and they don't go in with them. It can be just too dangerous if they happen to be moody that day.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Pat doesn't go in with her bears. I do know people who go in with their big cats. It's a personal choice of safety measure rather than a measure on feelings.
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 pm

I agree. I don't go in with our cougars, but my husband can't seem to get enough. I just don't feel comfortable going in the cage with something 10x's my strength. I'll love through the fence thank you.
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:27 am

i didn't hear about this until now.. they are trying to take him away, over something arbitrary, again.. and possibly in light of the ohio thing.. he seems well taken care of, and the video {on the tony website} was very informative.. tony is a pampered little guy with his own documentary

people should see it though.. the controversy.. how lazy people can be, choosing a side on the issue without being objective and rational.. it's like the political system
people carry around a bag full of answers, none of which are applicable

Ciao

Postby Ciao » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:08 pm

I heard the owner was told that he can no longer keep Tony?

Is this true?

Return to “NEWS”