Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

llama care

Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanaco, Vicuña

Moderator: TamanduaGirl

llamalover666

llama care

Postby llamalover666 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:17 am

Hello, I don't know alot about llamas. but there was a posting for a guard llama on craigslist and i thought it looked cute so I decided to bring it home. well it hasn't stopped trying to eat everything in sight since it got here and it doesn't seem to do really do any guarding. like a dog will make sound but the llame won't do anything when ppl approach my house. also i think it might be sick since it doesn't really have a good coat of fur. so i would like some advice about how to train it to make sound when ppl approach my house and what should i be feeding it so it grows a better coat.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: llama care

Postby pat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:50 am

your expectations of a llama is not true. If you want a guard animal to protect yourself, get a dog or two.

llamas usually don't make much noise, they don't bother with people nor do they make a sound if a stranger approaches.
a llama will sometimes chase away a predator. however. you will need to let your the llama adjust a little while to it's new enviroment.
Llamas prefer to be with another llama.

they are sometimes good as "guard animals" which sometimes protect live stock.
However, you will need more than one llama. there is no guarantee a llama is going to protect farm animals.

The llama could be sick, you don't know the background or age of the llama you have?
what are you feeding your llama? llamas must be treated for deadly worms.

can you post a picture of your llama

here is a care sheet with some helpful info:
http://www.sybilsden.com/caresheet/llamas.htm
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Yeah guard llamas don't make noise. What people hope for with them is for their natural instincts to protect the herd to carry over to the goats or sheep people have them to protect, which is spitting and kicking if a predator gets too close but most of the time it only actually works because a predator sees this big thing as scary but many a "Guard" llama has been killed by dogs since dogs don't find livestock scary.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm

When we first get animals they always throw us for a loop, every time. They are never what we expect. : )

Guard llamas are not like dogs, but they can guard, especially in groups. They do it not only by rounding up the livestock they are protecting and herding them away from danger, but also by this really nasty biting and stomping routine that can chase a coyote (though possibly not a pack of feral dogs) away without a problem.
Llamas coats can get out of hand because they are not natural, they have been selected for wool. Llamas can over-heat easily, they naturally come from a cool climate, so shaving your llama and making sure they have plenty of hay and water available is important during the warm weather (and of course hay and water should be available in cool weather too).

Llamas aren't cuddly animals, in the wild they do not groom one another or cuddle or stand close to each other, so they don't always like to be petted or handled (if they are handled too much when young they become dangerously aggressive to the point of seriously injuring their owner). However, just because they don't like to be hugged and petted a lot doesn't mean they can't make good companions, wool-producers, pack-animals, and just all around fun pets.

There are some great websites and books out there on llamas housing, care, feeding, grooming, behavior, health, ect that you can look into. Make sure your llama has healthy skin, is dewormed if needed, and doesn't have lice or mites bothering it. These can all lead to irritation. Also, llamas naturally like to go to the bathroom in the same place, so you can pile your llamas droppings in the area you find convenient to clean and it should begin going there like a cat using a litter-box.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your new llama! : )
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 pm

llamalover666 wrote:Hello, I don't know alot about llamas. but there was a posting for a guard llama on craigslist and i thought it looked cute so I decided to bring it home. well it hasn't stopped trying to eat everything in sight since it got here and it doesn't seem to do really do any guarding. like a dog will make sound but the llame won't do anything when ppl approach my house. also i think it might be sick since it doesn't really have a good coat of fur. so i would like some advice about how to train it to make sound when ppl approach my house and what should i be feeding it so it grows a better coat.

The bits I highlighted in bold are why you are having problems. You're looking for advice for what you bought rather then advice on if it's right for you.
1.5 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.3 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Camelids - LLAMAS, ALPACAS, CAMELS”