NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

help--need some ideas

Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanaco, Vicuña

Moderator: TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:36 pm

Mary,

I am sure most of the members here do deworm or prevent from worms.
I just wanted to mention the outcome if not done frequently, incase there are others that read this.

so sad about the neighbors poisening your dog.. how can people be so cruel and ignorant :twisted:
I can understand where the decision is rough..

I checked on my llama a little while ago, she don't even have her head up anymore.. when I looked at her, I thought she was dead. but, I seen her just barely breathing, and it sounded like she may have fluid in her lungs.. I guess I would just rather see her die on her own, but, I just don't want her to suffer..

Thanks for your support. I am just feeling so sad right now, and upset.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:12 pm

yeah I wouldn't have realized it could be so seriouse if you didn't either. I don't remember even hearing of that worm before. Though there are worms in pork or wild raccoons that can get into the brain and possibly cause problems. You just don't think about worms being a deadly problem.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. I like to think when they get this bad they aren't really feeling it any more as the mind is not really there any more.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 pm

The update to Jeanie:

As of 6pm. she looked worse. we proped her head up on a bale of straw.
I tried giving her water thru a syringe, but, she can't even swallow it.
what is odd, her body is in a normal position, but her head and neck has no control.. I also noticed her lower jaw, just hangs open.
her teeth are clinched together. I had to put the syringe to the side of her mouth..

tonight will be her last night here.. she got another shot of pencillian, b12 and I gave her some paste(or atleast tried) that suppose to be for many different worms..

I would be surprised if any of this perks her up.. but, we decided to give her one more night.. hubby has to get his backhoe going first. then he will have to shoot her sometime tomorrow :cry:

snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Pat when giving shots for the worms that get to the brain or spine, sometimes the shots kill the parasite but the inflamation still kills the animal. 20 cc of dexamethasone 2mg. once a day was what my zoo vet recomended for mine. unfortunantly it had gone to far. john
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:29 pm

John,

I never got the dexamethasone. my llama just seemed beyond that :cry:
I doubt it would have worked.. but, I am giving her till tomorrow.

could you tell me how your llama acted when she got this horrible parasite? Did your llama did on its own or did you put her down?

How long was your llama down before she died or worsened.

I would rather see my llama die on her own.. I guess in the back of my mind, I will always think that if I would have tried more, that she would have had a chance.

Thank you for lettting me know about your llama

prk22

Postby prk22 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 pm

You cannot blame yourself in these situations. What happened in the past is there...and the parasites are to blame. Your llama's interaction with these parasites in nature is not your fault, you have no control in that. The best thing to take from this is to learn the process of symptoms to catch in your other animals in the future.

Unfortunately I think the best thing is to put her out of her pain, because if it's in the brain already, she will no longer be 'herself' enough to know how to live properly...

:(
~Pätrick
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:06 am

Patrick,
thanks, that help me feel a little better.

I guess I thought the chances of them getting this was slim, because there is generally no deer near by.. but, what just occured to me, is this could have been in the hay or straw. obviously, deer travel probably travel thru this grass before it is cut and baled.(I buy the straw and hay)

What still confuses me, is my first llama(becky) that just died)
I don't know if you read that link I sent you about her.
but, about 6 years ago, becky had symptons of this same thing.
she was completely paralized. I had about 4 or 5 bales of straw to keep her proped up. She was given ivomec at this time, banamine, got a big bottle of water and kept putting it under her skin to keep her from being dehyraded... I went out a couple times a day and work work her legs..
anyway three weeks later, she was up. she had a couple babies. (Jeanie being her first) To this day, I am still not sure what was wrong with her.
I thought it could have been the worm that she recently died from and what jeanie has.. but, now I am really confused..

Yes, I did learn a lessen the hard way. and thanks again for your support..

snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:51 am

Good morning Pat, I ended up putting mine down after amonth of him being down on the ground. I fed him , used a hose in his throat to water him. I too put his head on a bale of hay. I tried several times to get him to stand but nothing worked. my place is loaded with snails and slugs and wild deer wandering through. I wanted camels but I heard they can get the same parasite problems. I gave mine the monthly shots but I hadn't had it long so I don't know if the previous owner actually did. john
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:05 am

john,

I have to wonder if the previouis owner knew this already?

I think the worse part is seeing these llamas suffer. it is a very hard decision to end their life.

I give you a lot of credit for trying. at least you know you tried.

I hate to ask, but, how did you put him down? I don't know of any other way except shoot mine.. :cry: I thought I could inject her with something that will kill her instantly..

Thanks for telling me about your llama..

snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:53 am

I shot him in the head, it really bothered me but it bothered me more to see him suffer. I tried shots , vitamins , corn syrup to try to boost his energy. someday I would like another one some day but still worry about the parasites. john
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:27 am

John,

I kind of figured that is what you did. thought I would ask, in case there were other ways that I didn't know about..

Jeanie died on her own this morning :cry:
sometimes, I just wish I would have ended this sooner instead of her suffering. however, I found her down only a few days ago. I am just glad this didn't last any longer..

I have a while male llama I would like to get rid of.. only because I don't really want two males. I am down to 4 llamas now. 2 females and 2 males. I really want to get my oldest male nurtered and get rid of the white one. but, I can't find any vets that will treat lllamas anymore.

I am going to treat the four llamas with the ivomec. If I am postive they are not infected, and you will be interested in the male, let me know.

what is the normal for treating lllamas for worms? I have read many different times of the year.. should I vacinate them once a month?
or alternate with the ivermec paste?
I don't want to overdose them on it..

actually, all four llamas are pretty friendly lately, especially for llamas.
they will eat out of my hand, follow me around and let me pet them.

They use to be skiddish, but, now they are all friendly..
strange, I don't really know what has changed them.

snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:41 am

I gave mine shots of Dectomax once a month from april to Dec. after that it's so cold up here the vet didn't think I would need it but next time I have one I think it'll get shots year round. I'll let you know if I decide to get another, what are you asking for him. john
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:29 pm

never heard of Dectomax. Is it similar to the ivomec?

Not sure about the price of the male llama. but, it won't be much if you want him.. the problem is getting him to you..

I don't have a travel trailer that I could at least meet you half way..
I live in western pa.. so not sure how far you are from here..

Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:43 pm

pat wrote:actually, all four llamas are pretty friendly lately, especially for llamas.
they will eat out of my hand, follow me around and let me pet them.

They use to be skiddish, but, now they are all friendly..
strange, I don't really know what has changed them.

Perhaps they noticed how hard you tried to take care of the other llamas...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Perhaps they noticed how hard you tried to take care of the other llamas
Strange that you would say that, but, seems my llamas really got friendly after my first female died a few months ago.
They all like her, actually, she was the moma of three of them.

if all my animals realized how they have it made here :lol:

Return to “Camelids - LLAMAS, ALPACAS, CAMELS”