NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

What is the safest age to buy a Llama (cria)?

Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanaco, Vicuña

Moderator: TamanduaGirl

dachshundlove

What is the safest age to buy a Llama (cria)?

Postby dachshundlove » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:50 pm

I have been reading some of the info here about them and it seems that the babies are quite fragile. I want to be sure and not get one that is too young. What age should they be (at the least) when bought without the mother?
flawlesserr

Postby flawlesserr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm

There's no real reason to ever buy a baby cria... I'd wait till it's at least a year old... If you have other llamas you can possibly get the new one at 10months of age, if you don't have other llamas it's best to wait till the cria is more so around 15-17months of age.

Crias are not animals you should ever try to 'bond' with at an early age. They need to learn from their mother and their herd.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:37 pm

I have seen breeders sell mothers and older babies together.
flawlesserr

Postby flawlesserr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 am

Suebear,

I have too, but I'm not sure I'd want to purchase a mother and baby... it makes weaning them hard because if all you have is the mother and baby how will you seperate them during the weaning period yet still have them with others for company?

When we were weaning Sterling he did everything in his power to get back with his mother! (even though we had him in with several other llamas closer to his size) It took a while before he became disinterested in nursing.

Return to “Camelids - LLAMAS, ALPACAS, CAMELS”