NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Camel ?'s

Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanaco, Vicuña

Moderator: TamanduaGirl

Farmboy

Camel ?'s

Postby Farmboy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am

I've always loved camels. I decided I want to get one. I've had all sorts of animals throughout my life (mainly Horses and cows) and I help my uncl raise the baby deer to be released into the wild. Any ways Will a 4 acre pen be enough for 1 camel and possibly 2 mini donkeys? What would be the best feed for them? Should I get a baby or adult? Male or female?

Thanks,
Farmboy
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Alfalfa hay is fine for them and four acres sounds okay. Males must be castrated for safety.

Alfalfa hay is to rich for donkeys though so you could have a problem tring to keep these animals together.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:11 am

Thanks. I was leaning towards a female. What would be some other animals that can live together?

Thanks,
Farmboy
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:07 am

llamas maybe some bigger breed goats. We had goats with our llamas(essentially smaller fuzzier camels). We had sheep too but I don't really like sheep. They all just ate alfalfa on the farm but when traveling got some grain in the petting zoo, which is okay for treats or cold weather.

I know someone had a zebra and a camel but you would have the same diet issues and I don't think they lived in the same pasture.

Generally the llamas did NOT really like the goats and sheep, contrary to what people say who support them as guard animals.

Donkeys were usually just with other donkeys but sometimes goats were in their with them on the farm. But some donkeys can be mean to goats and smaller animals.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:26 am

Are zebras really mean?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:31 pm

I don't know if zebras are mean. I don't think they are.
I do know they are expensive.

I have two mini donkeys (one male and one female)
they get along with all my other animals.
(llamas, cow, cats, dogs, ducks, chickens)
they don't hurt anyone.
the only thing I have lately seen is the male pulling the fur on my male llama. only on the back of his neck.
I doubt a mini donkey would even bother with a camal.

Not really sure why he does this. I know he is not fixed, and could be the reason.

I always wanted a camel. Mt hope auction always has some.
they are so cute,especially the young ones.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:40 pm

I live way down south so I don't think I be going to mount hope anytime soon. The guy that that runs the local feed store always has llamas and all other cool animals for sale and he told me that when goes to these exotic auctions in Alabama and Tennesee they always have one or two.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Zebras aren't mean but they are very bitey
---
Mary

Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Don't zebras cost about 5k?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:56 pm

zebras can be as low as $2500 but are usually around $5000, females being more expensive, and also the larger species are more expensive. You do NOT want a bottle raised foal or they may hurt you as an adult.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am

lasergrl,
I can remember the one year at mt hope, there was pen of about 5 or 6 young zebras. really beautiful.

I hung around just to see what the zebras would go for.
when I first heard the breeder wanted $5000.00, at first I thought they meant for the whole pen of them.
but, it was each :roll: . but, if I remember correctly, they didn't sell, because no one would bid that high.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
baltic

Postby baltic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm

This post is kind of old, but I wanted to mention anyway that Alfalfa hay is no good for camels. It's much too rich in protein and camels digestive system is not built for that. They need something rough and less rich.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:49 am

I have no experience with camels but here in Australia they seem to thrive around Alice Springs , which is pretty much in the middle. It is dry and hot but in the dry season it can get cold. I don't think there is much food out there but camels really do like this climate.
Hey farmboy, I know those posts are pretty old but did you end up getting your camel?
LizardLohan

Postby LizardLohan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 am

that reminds me... how are moose's? I saw a really cute one a few days ago, That would be something good for the furture if they are nice enough. Think of the poop!! :lol:

Yeah, nextime you are on here farmboy, tell us if you got your camel.
Oh, decisions, decisions.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Moose males are nice an all until they hit the mating season, then its like they will kill you. I dont know much about moose females, other than the fact they are really protective mothers.

Return to “Camelids - LLAMAS, ALPACAS, CAMELS”