NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

need help, all my llamas are dying..

Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanaco, Vicuña

Moderator: TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

need help, all my llamas are dying..

Postby pat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 pm

most of my llamas have died, all syptoms seem like the meningeal worm.
but, I can't really be sure.

the first sign was when they would lay on their side, and couldn't get up.
when we push them and help them up, then they seem fine.

but, as time progessess, it seems to more frequent and harder to get the llama up.

all my llamas have died except one :cry:

one just died this morning with similar symptons.
I noticed he was walking a little funny the last few weeks.
thought it was he needed his hooves trimmed.

However, several years ago, my one llama becky, was really bad,
she look paralized from head to hoof. trying to find a vet was tough, when I did, he looked at her and said he didn't know what was wrong with her.. so, I just did the best I could with her, she had under the skin injections for dehyradration. she was proped up with bales of straw.
she had a heat lamp in her house and even covered with a blanket.
everyday, I would go out and massage her legs, try and keep her body moving.. to make a long story short, 5 weeks later, she improved and was up and eating. she even had a couple babies after that.
but, a few years after that she died. with similar symptons.

anyway, now I have one llama left, so far, she seems pretty healthy.
she is on ivomec paste.
now, my concern is, can the donkeys get this meningeal worm, if that is what it is?

any ideas would be appreciated...
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:28 pm

from everything I have read equines are resistent to th worm. I dont think cows can get it either. Its a sheep goat and llama thing.

Some people will give injectable ivermectin every 3 weeks as prevention. I have also read panacur (fenbendazole) works.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:51 pm

they were getting ivomec paste. but, not as frequent as they should have.

I have to wonder, is it possible, if the mother had this, that it could be passed on to the baby?

all the babies that were, ,except one born here died.

right now, I am concerned about my donkeys too.
but, I feel better since you told me they generally don't get this.
but, I am not even sure, if that is what killed them all..

thanks lasergrl, really appreciate your post

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 pm

that worm is so common that its almost certainly what killed them with the symptoms they had. They cannot catch it from another animal. They get it by eating snails only. They eat the snails while grazing. Deer are the original host, the snails crawl over the deer poop and pick it up, and it goes on from there.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am

Pat, I am sorry for your llama's. Thats terrible! I remember when you first started posting about your llama problems, I am stunned that is has cost you more of your llamas. I have never heard of this worm up until this point.... Is it a region specific problem?
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 am

lasergrl.. what about the raccoon round worm? this can live for a few yrs outside the coons body in the ground, even through the winter.. it will likee any other animal and symptoms are neurologic.. i had a scare with a rescue coon I took in 2 yrs ago that tested positive for it.. scared me to death I would get it, while she was being treated for 2 months I had to wear gloves, gown and mask.. but she is clear and healthy and happy now.. very dangerous worm to get.. sounds possible if the wild coons are defecating in the grain or even in the pasture

Pat I am so sorry.. have you taken a stool sample into the vet?
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:38 am

what is confusin me about the meningeal worm, is when becky got sick. she was the first llama that had this sympton.
her condtion was so bad, I thought I would find her dead every time I checked on her. but, five weeks, she pulled through it.

then most of her babies she had were ok for awhile. the second baby she had, died with no symptons at about 3 months old.

about two or more years later, one of her daughters died. but, she showed signs withing a few days before she died.

then one of males of becky's baby, is the one I always found laying on his side. he lasted over 2 months. his syptoms were not as severe as his mommas was.

out of all the llamas, the only two that really showed showed such severe signs of paralization was becky and the one that just died.

on the other hand, since lasergrl mentioned about the slugs,
we really don't have any deer on our property, because it is fenced in and with the dogs running lose. but, now I wonder if these slugs can be washed thru our property during rain? I have corn fields on both sides of my property. our property does have a slant downhill from the back corn field. that would be the only way I can think of one of the slugs could have come onto my property. is this possible?

mandy, I am glad you told me about the raccoon with the round worm.
I better make sure my coons have the proper worm med.

I will be going to the vet soon, and will bring some stole samples and see what they find from the llama. also stole samples from the coons and foxes and bears.

suebear,
thanks,
I thought I read it is bad in eastern pa. but, I could be wrong.
not sure of what other reagions it could be bad.

thanks again everyone for your help, much appreciated..

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 am

they may not all have gotten the worm, but sounds like the majority did. They dont nescassarily have to show symptoms if that little worm got into a critical part of the nervous system.
The snails can easily travel from one yard to another, and can travel on waterfowl's feet, and yes rain can wash them too. Its a very scarey problem we have in this part of the country.
here is a nice article on treating it:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:910 ... cd=1&gl=us
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 am

lasergrl,

wow, thanks for that article..

the article said the best way to get a fecal sample is thru their rectom.
don't think I could do that. even if I could, don't know if my llama I have left will stand still long enough.

wonder if I could bring samples that were on the ground?
there is a dung pile where the llama that died.
I was going to bring that in.

also, is there any type of test kit for checking worms?
I seen somewhere was selling a microscope for testing worms.
it was a little over a hundred dollars.
would this work? if so, it would certainly be cheaper in the long run to test all my animals.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 am

yes! You can do it at home with the test kits!

However, its not as reliable as sending the stool into a lab for centrifugation and then read. If your vet does the samples in house then you may as well do it at home as it is exactly the same :)

Dung pile will do just fine, use the freshest part.
Elena

Your llamas

Postby Elena » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Pat,

I am deeply sorry to hear about your llamas' problems. It was very saddening. :cry: I hope your last llama is fine.

Did you consider spiritual approach if you can't find out the problem in a traditional way? There are numerous ways to do it. I would first recommend to get a reading with an experienced Animal Communicator. They can ask your animals directly what's wrong with them. It's not religious or anything like that. Just talking to your animals on a sensitive level by trained professionals. Can be done on a phone easily, they will just need a picture of an animal in most cases. Usually animals would tell exactly what's wrong with them and often they know the treatment that would help. It very well could be emotional problems too which it's hard to identify by yourself sometimes. Animals often reflect human problems on a physical level as well. Sometimes to save your animal friends, you would have to do your internal work, AC would tell you exactly what's the problem and what you need to do. Hope it helps...
Elena

Return to “Camelids - LLAMAS, ALPACAS, CAMELS”