Lagomorphs?

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KKM

Lagomorphs?

Postby KKM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:44 am

As a bunny mum and taxonomy geek, I absolutely adore so many lagomorph species (which is all of them to be honest). I have heart that they are very difficult to keep because they scare easily and are delicate, but I imagine it can be done, considering the European rabbit was kept in captivity in the beginning. Pygmy rabbits are also bred in captivity pretty successfully for conservation.

I have seen people with cottontail rescues, but as far as captive-bred babies or even zoological specimens go, I have a difficult time finding any information. I once saw a brown hare for sale (for eight thousand dollars!) and have heard of people keeping jackrabbits and pikas, but I have yet to find any of these people.

Rodents seem to be kept and bred easily, which is a bit strange, considering how close rodentia and lagomorpha are. Does anyone know of people keeping captive bred lagomorph species? What would their enclosure look like? I assume their diet is similar to that of domestic rabbits.
1.2 rabbits
0.1 campbell's dwarf hamster
1.0 dog
KKM

Re: Lagomorphs?

Postby KKM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Also, this is a bit random, but are viscachas ever seen in the captive trade? There is a plains viscacha at a local private exhibitor, but they refused to give me any information when I visited because "wild animals don't make good pets".
1.2 rabbits
1.0 dog
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:32 pm

I could be wrong but I think Lisa's creatures used to have pika but she kept it secret where her animals went when she retired.

The difference between European rabbit and others is their communal nature. I think that made them a little less prone to stress and die. All the others rarely have any interactions with their own kind.

Some place sell hare and a few dog foods use it but it all come from the wild.
KKM

Postby KKM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Ah, I see. Do you know anything about viscachas, TG?
1.2 rabbits
1.0 dog
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 pm

I've seen viscachas for sale before but that was a LONG time ago.

Return to “Little Critters”