PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Hedgehogs great pets? Also where can I buy one?

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Are Hedgehogs great pets? Also where can I buy one?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm actually now considering getting a Hedgehog and just wondering if they're good pets? I never see Hedgehogs in pet stores at all here in Illinois the only exotics I see in pet stores are Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Snakes, Chinchillas, Parrots and Sugar Gliders really.
Splashstorm

Re: Are Hedgehogs great pets? Also where can I buy one?

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am

Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

I would definitely recommend this site! http://www.critterconnection.cc/hedgehogs/toc_hh.php
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I wouldn't call them a great pet, but they're pretty neat

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Agreeing with Zebrafox. They are interesting, but in my experience, not really..."pet" like, not affectionate, etc. The one I had experience with was acquired when it was older, though, so maybe that was part of the issue.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:05 pm

I wonder about them too. I think they're cute. But I'm not sure if they bond well to their owners or not.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:34 am

From what I've heard they are kind of like a hamster in personality, they more or less tolerate you messing with them, they get aggitated after a certain point, and they are nocturnal so they grouchy when u wake them up during the day. So they're more of a sit back and watch pet.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Realtree1 wrote:From what I've heard they are kind of like a hamster in personality, they more or less tolerate you messing with them, they get aggitated after a certain point, and they are nocturnal so they grouchy when u wake them up during the day. So they're more of a sit back and watch pet.

Ok. Thank you. I thought I rememberd hearing that. No hedgehog for me then.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:39 am

caninesrock wrote:
Realtree1 wrote:From what I've heard they are kind of like a hamster in personality, they more or less tolerate you messing with them, they get aggitated after a certain point, and they are nocturnal so they grouchy when u wake them up during the day. So they're more of a sit back and watch pet.

Ok. Thank you. I thought I rememberd hearing that. No hedgehog for me then.

Loll same XD I need a pet that likes interacting. icon-smile
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Hedgehogs do make good pets. They start off being "huffy" but they'll eventually calm down with regular handling. It doesn't mean they don't make good pets.

My hognose snake is "huffy" sometimes when I first get him out of his cage. It's typical of the species, and I wouldn't say he makes a bad pet. In fact he's been an excellent pet and has been the easiest snake to care for.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I think a hedgehog would make a great pet for some, but I just prefer friendlier species. :) Which is why I love dogs xD (sorry had to throw that in there! They are just so awesome.)

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Same as Splashstorm for me. I think hedgehogs (and snakes) can make good pets for some people depending on what they are looking for. But I tend to like pets that enjoy, seek out,and relish interaction with and attention from humans such as dogs.

Return to “Little Critters”