PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Some skunk questions

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Re: Some skunk questions

Postby Trefoil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 am

How good a pet they are depends on the individual and how much you handle it as a baby. I would definitely have it fixed. Two of my skunks were people orientated and the 3rd I got from Mt hope, they had kept him as a breeder and he wasn't handled, he is afraid of me and wild, but once I catch him he lets me clip his toenails or whatever I need. The worst I can say about my experience is that they tend to be very playful early in the morning when I want to sleep. They are nothing like a coon, a lot less prey orientated. They are very cuddly. When I read your post, my reaction to the question about what your plan was if they escaped and you couldn't get them back, was, if you could find it you wouldn't have a problem getting it back. Then I read the other's posts and thought about my "breeder". Most skunks are very food orientated so if you were able to find out where it was a live trap with food in it would work. They do like to nibble, sometimes painfully, on bare toes, but can be distracted with food or attention. They will follow you around and like to be held and or carried. They make a really good heating pad for sleeping. You will want to start them on toys immediately, you want them to have something other than you to play rough with and chew on. I'm sorry I can't help you with your licensing questions, the requirements are different in every state.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 am

Just a quick question, I guess either I never looked hard enough for this answer...are skunks chewers? On cords or other things that could hurt them/be easily destroyed?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 pm

a friend of mine has a skunk. she absolutly loves it. my friend had the skunk fixed at a young age, so wonder if that helps with their attitude?
she lets it roam the house, but also has a cage for it. my friend was also suggeting I get one, but, I am already overwhelmed with too many animals.

with any exotic, I think it is important to get it at a very young age, and have it fixed.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Juska- I've never had a problem with skunks chewing stuff up. But they do steal and hoard "treasure".
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:57 pm

My skunk was neutered pretty early. he was not afraid of me at all, even though he was a mother raised Rubys fur farm baby. As a baby he was very fun, but as he got older and the babyness wore off, he just wasn't very engaging, or interactive unless food was involved.
Sounds like everyone that loves their skunk has a female. maybe that's the thing, girls might be more personable.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm

lg,

Sounds like everyone that loves their skunk has a female. maybe that's the thing, girls might be more personable.

interesting. maybe that is the reason :shrug: I don't know anything about skunks, only what my friend told me about hers.

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Female animals tend to be more active (rats, for example), but usually that leads to the animals being more feisty and independent. Perhaps in skunks it means more personable/wanting to interact with their people.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am

One of the skunks where I interned was nice and lazy. It was a male. He would just let me pet him and didn't care whether I was there or not, lol. Really cute though.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I actually had a male skunk for several years. I've found that the first year (like with most animals) is rough. They are incredibly smart and trainable- the key is 'consistent enforcement'. 'Time outs' worked wonders when he phased through his biting period (which I felt like was forever long, but was 3 months long from first nip to last). They are not chewers in my experience or what I remember reading about them prior to getting into the skunk community...but I would agree...they hoard their treasure, and are visibly confused when you take it back from them...as they scamper off to claim new booty. Skunks are skunks in personality...affectionate to a degree, but it's on their own accords as to when they want to play, want attention. My advice...watch the weight. They are food mongerers...which is great for training, but not for spoiling...they can be prone to diabetes. I'm waiting on a female for this year, and I am excited to have in my own home the personal experience of having a female, rather than the stories of other owners. There is a great skunk episode on pbs.org/nature ...it brings up debra on SkunkHaven for 10 minutes ... I'm not sure if it's still posted online or not.

Pat, the raccoon one is interesting to watch the anthropology of their urban adaptations too!

...and for anyone who cares...I really recommend the frog episode- rather fascinating science that affects us too!
~Pätrick
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm

prk,

thank you for that link. it is great with lots of good info. I am going to post the raccoon video in the raccoon forum.

didn't get a chance to look at the rest, but will get to it.

kitaluna

Postby kitaluna » Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 am

I am surprised at all the negative skunk experiences posted. They were amazing pets for me. Mine were parent raised and I got them just weaned. My male was more personable than my female. He would run to me when I came in the room and loved to be picked up. He was very snuggly and would never bite. He wouldn't even take food from my hand with his teeth, he would knock it with his paw and pick it up carefully from the floor. The female did not like to be picked up but once up was perfectly happy. She didn't bite either. Both would sleep in the bed with me if I napped during the day. I think it all depends on the time and attention you give them. They make very good only pets.
I had them both fixed although I forget at what age.

Return to “Little Critters”