NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Anyone with Cottontail Rabbits

Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Skunks, Squirrels, Bats, genets, civets etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BrianaSaurus

Anyone with Cottontail Rabbits

Postby BrianaSaurus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I've got a baby cottontail rabbit that one of my parents' dogs found. His eyes weren't open when I began caring for him and now they are :) I am guessing that he is around 4 weeks old now. Everything I read on cottontail rabbits says they are miserable in captivity, but that's all he's known. I'm very concerned about releasing him because he is accustomed to the noisiness of my house and shows no fear of my two dogs (a pug and a hound mix). Also he has become very fond of his daily snacks. Anyway I'm very torn on what to do with him. I would love to keep him if anyone can share some advice on the best methods for caring and domesticating cottontails I would greatly appreciate it!
Splashstorm

Re: Anyone with Cottontail Rabbits

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:03 am

Hi Briana! Did you decide to keep him? If you decide to release him now, he'd be fine. My cottontails were fine with us, but when any family members or friends came over, they were scared stiff, so you really don't need to worry that he wouldn't be skittish enough for the wilderness. How is potty-training coming along? Mine were impossible to train O_O
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
BrianaSaurus

Postby BrianaSaurus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 am

I did decide to release him! I live in the woods surrounded by pastures. I haven't seen him around since the release but I've seen lots of other cottontails. So I'd like to think he's nice and comfortable in a little burrow somewhere!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 am

That's great :3 Hopefully he's doing well.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:04 am

That's awesome that you had a place to release him! I'm sure he's happy. :mrgreen:

Return to “Little Critters”